The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Max bhp from Hybrids 550 rwhp???

Supra Kong

Hey gang,

So doing a bit of research on this forum and talking to a few people in the know, it seems the max bhp you can get out of hybrid turbo's is around 460. And that's at the fly.

I then came across this.... http://www.speedforsale.com/supraparts/speed-for-sale-stu-usdm-gt28-hybrid-stock-twin-turbo-upgrade-550rwhp-p-553.html?osCsid=e507d2q307s2qqv29lcvd3qmn5 Off course i whiped it off and appologized!!! [GRIN][/GRIN]

But on a serious note, what do you guys think? A load of rubbish or achievable? Also these turbo's seem fairly well priced....

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just look at the compressor maps they Will tell how much Air they can pump and it Will be fairly easy to calculate if its possible. Obviously its not easy if they are way off the efficient Islands.

Jamiep, i have to ask what about yanks power figures? Sure some might be off but with all honesty some cars on this forum have some questionble figures aswell

---

I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=57.729267,11.786093

tbh if the info about it doing a 10.8 at 129mph is true then the car is putting down some serious power, MUCH more than what some say is possible from hybrids, its just nobody really pushes hybrids over here.

So you reckon its possible? Maybe most people settle for the wrong type of hybrids?

Just look at the compressor maps they Will tell how much Air they can pump and it Will be fairly easy to calculate if its possible. Obviously its not easy if they are way off the efficient Islands.

Jamiep, i have to ask what about yanks power figures? Sure some might be off but with all honesty some cars on this forum have some questionble figures aswell

---

I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=57.729267,11.786093

I dont think they are much different myself, a lot of people do though, the bhp debate between US and UK has been done to death.

i would say its EU vs US been having loads of debates in sweden aswell. the sweden dragstrips are apparently downhill. i know a guy called Christer he works as volvo as a developer but in his spare time he likes to port cylinder heads. i think he still have the world record of 700 somthing from a busa engine. yanks told him that it was all rubbish and that the engine bench where dead wrong, he took the engine to US and got around 20 more bhp ;) this debates will go on forever. aswell as we in the EU has better pump gas and they can understand how cars can make 1000hp ish on pumpgas.

Even putting down near 560USRWHP is much more than we have even gotten close to, even when taking into account what I think that would equate to here (around 560UKFWHP IMO) so that's quite a setup for the stock manifold. I think AFR got to around the 500fwhp before the EGTs went through the roof so I would like to see what sort of temps they are seeing and it would be interesting to see how they are combatting the high EGT levels (fueling, WI etc). Dude will obviously be able to clarify that a bit better though. Although, there may be slight changes to the export spec manifold that makes that a possibility.

I think hybrids would be a good option on the Supra if we could actually trust them. Through the years I've noticed that it seems to be a bit of a mixed bag with regards to reliability. Noone has ever came out and said for definite that xxx brand or setup is good for many miles, just about every supplier has had someone with a negative experience to speak of. It's a bit of a shame really as 500+hp with the stock sequential setup would make for a cracking drive.

Scottm is going to love this thread, dont get him started on yank bhp :D

tbh if the info about it doing a 10.8 at 129mph is true then the car is putting down some serious power, MUCH more than what some say is possible from hybrids, its just nobody really pushes hybrids over here.

That was my first thought! :D

I think what is the most hardest to believe is a 10.8 run plus a 129mph trap speed, that is some serious power.

Considering stock twin's do between a 14-12 sec run, it is quite hard to believe that these hybrids make that much difference.

That was my first thought! :D

I think what is the most hardest to believe is a 10.8 run plus a 129mph trap speed, that is some serious power.

Considering stock twin's do between a 14-12 sec run, it is quite hard to believe that these hybrids make that much difference.

You can't compare a stock twin setup to a car built for the 1/4 and 1/8th of a mile though, they aren't even close. This car is putting down a LOT more than 400hp though, there is absolutely no denying that. It's over 500hp at the bare minimum no matter what dyno you stick it on imo.

Well according to garret the turbocharger will have no problem to push to around 600-630 engine horsepowers. if the manifold can take the increase in heat i really dont know. however there is a big diffrence between hybrid J-specs. well it comes down to definition. do you men by hybrids that you increase their wheels? and keep the internals? if so there is a rather big diffrence between us/euro spec vs J-spec. the exhast manifold could be ported abit i guess (might not last forever due to thinner material) but i really think it is possible.

aslo saying that putting down 560USHP kinda imply that you dont belive them. have anyone really tried with eurospec hybrids machined to match the turbos that they sell in terms of A/R and wheel size? if you have tried this on hybrid j-specs wich will break alot faster then hybrid eurospec. i really dont think the information is valid. i wish i had the cash to try the set of twins since i really want to keep the stock look due to MOT in sweden is a PITA with singleturbos.

Just to clarify you would need to have suporting modifications. i really dont think its impossible to get 550RWHP from those turbos by making the engine breath with cams, adjusting the cams with adjusteble cam gears and the other parts. dunno how the stock ecu would like it but i definatly think its doable on stock twinturbo pipes/manifold etc.

Edited by Hellstrom (see edit history)

Well according to garret the turbocharger will have no problem to push to around 600-630 engine horsepowers. if the manifold can take the increase in heat i really dont know. however there is a big diffrence between hybrid J-specs. well it comes down to definition. do you men by hybrids that you increase their wheels? and keep the internals? if so there is a rather big diffrence between us/euro spec vs J-spec. the exhast manifold could be ported abit i guess (might not last forever due to thinner material) but i really think it is possible.

aslo saying that putting down 560USHP kinda imply that you dont belive them. have anyone really tried with eurospec hybrids machined to match the turbos that they sell in terms of A/R and wheel size? if you have tried this on hybrid j-specs wich will break alot faster then hybrid eurospec. i really dont think the information is valid. i wish i had the cash to try the set of twins since i really want to keep the stock look due to MOT in sweden is a PITA with singleturbos.

BPU in the UK running 1.2bar (UK spec or Jspec) 430fwhp.

BPU in the US running 1.2bar 430RWHP

Stock UK spec in the UK 326fwhp

Stock US pec in the US 320RWHP

Now with hybrids this car is netting 520RWHP at 1.2bar? Singles don't manage that stock regardless of how efficient they are. 520FWHP would be what the car would achieve over here, all IMO of course.

To summaries....No... I don't believe it.

Edit: I think the turbos that Dude used in the build for a customer were similar. They weren't the usual hybrid turbos that we use, they were garrett replacements or cores or something.

Edited by Scott (see edit history)

BPU in the UK running 1.2bar (UK spec or Jspec) 430fwhp.

BPU in the US running 1.2bar 430RWHP

Stock UK spec in the UK 326fwhp

Stock US pec in the US 320RWHP

Now with hybrids this car is netting 520RWHP at 1.2bar? Singles don't manage that stock regardless of how efficient they are. 520FWHP would be what the car would achieve over here, all IMO of course.

To summaries....No... I don't believe it.

Edit: I think the turbos that Dude used in the build for a customer were similar. They weren't the usual hybrid turbos that we use, they were garrett replacements or cores or something.

i cant really wether they are right or wrong. getting 550 at 1.2 bar i not really possibly imo with thoose turbochargers they are maxed out at 1.9bar so i would say getting around 550 whp at around 1.6-1.7bars. they also use higher A/R that would let the turbos breath better to keep the exhaust temps down. atleast thats how i understood it from a quick read. bigger A/R also implies that you would "need" cams since the stock cams are to "nice"

also euro/us has more duration in the cams IIRC then the J-spec

i cant really wether they are right or wrong. getting 550 at 1.2 bar i not really possibly imo with thoose turbochargers they are maxed out at 1.9bar so i would say getting around 550 whp at around 1.6-1.7bars. they also use higher A/R that would let the turbos breath better to keep the exhaust temps down. atleast thats how i understood it from a quick read. bigger A/R also implies that you would "need" cams since the stock cams are to "nice"

also euro/us has more duration in the cams IIRC then the J-spec

You said they have a max of 630 fwhp, that's 535rwhp. If you're saying that figure is got at around 1.9bar then that tells you all you need to know really.

When I do my build I might try a set of these and put this to bed, I personally want a high BPU powered car.

Also as Dean said, no doubt he will be pushing his car on Hybrids.

RobTRD's car on hybrids sounds mental, I can not remember what bhp Rob had at SRR but it was fairly high (I think).

When I do my build I might try a set of these and put this to bed, I personally want a high BPU powered car.

Also as Dean said, no doubt he will be pushing his car on Hybrids.

RobTRD's car on hybrids sounds mental, I can not remember what bhp Rob had at SRR but it was fairly high (I think).

Have a chat with SRD, Lee was only talking the other day about some special hybrids that have been said to make a lot of power.

US v UK BHP aside, if the internals are true GT28 both hot and cold side, they should combined be easily capable of 550BHP (UK) however i very much doubt they are, simply because you would not physically be able to fit the turbines into the std machined cases, same goes if they are indeed GT28s as they would have to have a custom manifold to fit.

Edit just found the compressor pics, and they look exactly the same as the ones i had in my hybrid setup, and they are not the same size as GT28 compressor turbine, as they have to machined down to fit, so you loose about 20% of the turbine.

Edited by Tricky-Ricky (see edit history)

US v UK BHP aside, if the internals are true GT28 both hot and cold side, they should combined be easily capable of 550BHP (UK) however i very much doubt they are, simply because you would not physically be able to fit the turbines into the std machined cases, same goes if they are indeed GT28s as they would have to have a custom manifold to fit.

Hybrid kinda implies that you put some internals into some externals. as the site that has them is abit slow and links dont really work. iam pretty confident they have put in a 60mm compressor wheel and increased the turbine aswell, they have ported the both the housings.

After reading about then they are indeed std UK turbo housing ported to take GT28 internals, which as i said is not possible, or at least thats what the company that did mine said, there is a tread knocking about on here somewhere, and i certainly didn't make anywhere near 500BHP.

Edited by Tricky-Ricky (see edit history)