The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Lower

AJI

Anyone had any problems after they have lowered their Supra?

I'm thinking of lowering by 20mm and apart from the obvious problems of road humps etc. is there anything else to look out for?

I take it wheel arches don't need to be modified for just 20mm?

Why would it raise the car?

If you fit larger rims, you MUST fit lower profile tyres to try to keep the rolling radius of the tyres as close as possible to (or the same as) the original rolling radius. Otherwise the speedo goes way off the mark.

If rolling radius doesn't change, then total diameter of your wheel/tyre package has to stay the same. So why does the height of the car change?

:conf:

To answer the question, if you "slam" the car you will need to reduce the negative camber slightly, otherwise you will do what I did and get through four tyres in three months.

Or you could live with the extra camber and corner like a train, unless it's a Hatfield train. High speed braking in a straight line will be "invigorating" as well.

You'll be hard pressed to find a decent garage who will do camber adjustments though.

Just measured mine, it's set at 2deg camber all round, front ride height is a 100mm measure under the front cross-member. The rear tyres are Bridgestone S01 275/35x17 and show almost 5mm after 9000 miles. Rear pressures are 34psi. Fronts are Bridgestone S03 245/40x17 and are showing 6mm after 8000 miles. Front pressures are 35psi. That's not bad tyre life with that set-up I'm sure you'll agree.

John

The tyre pressure issue is something I had been wondering about for a while, especially after a friend reminded me about high speed blow out on the motorway.

I'm currently running 32psi all round on 18" wheels with Dunlop 285/35 rear and 245/40 fronts.

Am I in the right ball park or do you think I should add some more air?

Thanks for your input guys.

It just got me thinking when I saw a Supra at the NEC a while back which was lowered and it looked great.

I would be doing it just for cosmetic reasons which I am now convinced is not good idea. Re-cambering the wheel setup sounds like it would be a nightmare aswell.

I suppose when you come to think of it the Supra was designed to handle at it's standard height. To get the best allround performance I think I'll be leaving it as it is.

Cheers,

AJI

My Supra originally had low hard springs (there was 3cm of ground clearance at the front). I got it changed for softer springs with more ride height.

The car is not as good looking now as it was, which is slightly dissapointing, but it is fair to say that it is more comfortable to drive, the handling is better, the extra ground clearance means you don't keep hitting the deck, the wheels don't hit the arches on full lock, and you don't have to u-turn at the slightest hint of a bump in the road.

I think you just have to decide whether you want looks or handling and practicality on real roads.