The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Is it never going to end... :(

BazzaAlpine

As with anything it will peak at some point. Insurance companies will suffer for this as no one will be able to afford to buy insurance so these companies will be forced to lower prices to survive.

I would not be surprised that in the future if you want to make a claim for your "whiplash" then it will have to go through the courts. That will differentiate the people who just want a bit of cash to people who actually have injuries.

I'm going to be selfish and say that if it makes the roads quieter, I'm happier.

... but I do hate paying car insurances!

You sound like a man with too much money..!!

I actually went back to Be Wiser insurance with a quote from LV and they matched the price I paid the year before. I would agree with the going to court to get compensation, there are far more people cheating the system than genuine claimants. The ambulance chasing culture is not helping either..!

H.

@ Richardstock

Premiums will obviously peak at some point, probably following the clamping down of whiplash claims. HOW EVER, the insurers will just keep premiums at that inflated level anyway, and we will all breathe a sigh of relief when our premiums either stay the same or go up slightly more.

History (recent) has borne this out, just look at the price of oil versus the current price per litre. See how the price of wholesale commodities like gas has fallen, yet.we get passed on a fraction of this reduction (if any) whilst the utilities post record profits.

Insurance will plateau at the end of this year when it will be illegal to quote on gender, but in my opinion it will stay at that level and we shall doff our caps and feel grateful when our premiums stay the same.

We are that used to being stung on an annual basis we shall be grateful for small mercies.....:)

Edited by Supranature
Wrong name (see edit history)

They should ban whiplash claims, unless you actually break something you don't get no compensation!

I have had whiplash and yes it is painful & I haven't fully recovered, but that is just life, it doesn't cause me any bother other than sometimes 'clicking'.

A know a friend who has made a awful lot of money setting up a claims company! I personally don't agree and he knows it, but it pays his bills and some.

@ Jurgen

Premiums will obviously peak at some point, probably following the clamping down of whiplash claims. HOW EVER, the insurers will just keep premiums at that inflated level anyway, and we will all breathe a sigh of relief when our premiums either stay the same or go up slightly more.

History (recent) has borne this out, just look at the price of oil versus the current price per litre. See how the price of wholesale commodities like gas has fallen, yet.we get passed on a fraction of this reduction (if any) whilst the utilities post record profits.

Insurance will plateau at the end of this year when it will be illegal to quote on gender, but in my opinion it will stay at that level and we shall doff our caps and feel grateful when our premiums stay the same.

We are that used to being stung on an annual basis we shall be grateful for small mercies.....:)

:goodpost:

The FT had an interesting article about car insurance and telematics recently. One or two companies (Aviva?) tried it a few years ago but the cost of the boxes was almost as much as the premiums, so wasn't deemed worth it. Maybe the ever-higher premiums coupled with a possible reduction in the cost of the boxes would make this viable again.

I'm not sure if forcing all whiplash claims to go to court would have the desired effect. Hopefully it would put insurers off pursueing such cases where they have their doubts, but it might just bump up premiums even more because the insurers would need to not only cover themselves against compensation awarded, but also for the court costs. I'm not sure what the courts could add to the process, apart from lengthen it and make it even more costly. The thing is with whiplash is that there's no decent medical test for it, so evidence of a whiplash injury would be sparse. OK, the person might have been in an RTC but it's more to do with how their head moved when the collision happened, which decides whether they actually have whiplash or not. No-one else knows how their head moved apart from themselves.

I'm not sure if forcing all whiplash claims to go to court would have the desired effect. Hopefully it would put insurers off pursueing such cases where they have their doubts, but it might just bump up premiums even more because the insurers would need to not only cover themselves against compensation awarded, but also for the court costs. I'm not sure what the courts could add to the process, apart from lengthen it and make it even more costly. The thing is with whiplash is that there's no decent medical test for it, so evidence of a whiplash injury would be sparse. OK, the person might have been in an RTC but it's more to do with how their head moved when the collision happened, which decides whether they actually have whiplash or not. No-one else knows how their head moved apart from themselves.

They are able to tell if you had whiplash, I saw a doctor in Harley Street about it not far from the office.

He told me I have torn some cartilage which explained the sharp pain sensation and clicking when moving my head.

What they can't measure was pain, so it could be anything from discomfort to a lot of pain.

I wasn't in hardly any pain, more discomfort than anything... I only went to see him as I had a league match & needed to make sure I was fit.

They should ban whiplash claims, unless you actually break something you don't get no compensation!

I have had whiplash and yes it is painful & I haven't fully recovered, but that is just life, it doesn't cause me any bother other than sometimes 'clicking'.

A know a friend who has made a awful lot of money setting up a claims company! I personally don't agree and he knows it, but it pays his bills and some.

Professionally, I completely disagree with the assertion that "whiplash" isn't worthy of personal injury claims - it's at least as important as lower back pain in terms of long-term disability. HOWEVER, it seems to be very vaguely defined by the medical industry and insurance industry over here (when clinically it must adhere to certain diagnostic parameters, just like any properly defined condition, in order to be classed as "whiplash" - or as the University of Queensland have defined them, Whiplash Associated Disorders), so little wonder it gets bad-mouthed as an easy money spinner for false claimants.

Of course, in my opinion, it's simply another example of the insurance industry saving a penny to spend a pound - if they properly medically investigated people (via CT or MR imaging) with claims lasting more than 3 weeks or costing more than £400 in medical bills (or some standardised amount), then there wouldn't be massive payouts.

As long as we pay them, premiums will increase, as with everything else.

The only effective solution is to stop buying it but third party only is £200 more than fully comprehensive, since no excess is chargeable.

I'm 43 and have maximum no claims discount but paid £603 this year for the Supra when last time it was £480 or thereabouts. This is with a £1000 voluntary excess and another £100 compulsory. So unless I write off the car, I'm paying for any damage anyway, at least to my car.

Edited by Morpheus (see edit history)

I agree about whiplash claims being refused unless you have torn cartilage. I had a nasty motorbike accident 12 years ago and tore the ligaments in my thoracic back. This was very painful and to this day gives me pain. I was assessed by a leading back expert at bupa and got a good payout.

When I had a accident in the van I got a bit of whiplash, but it wasn't overly painful and I haven't and wouldn't claim for that, but to many people know they can claim for such an injury and can't be disproved, and they probably don't have any pain, the ones that do is probably just mild discomfort yet they get the same payout as I got when I had a genuine injury that will always affect me.

Edited by Aero-M (see edit history)

the insurance companys are blaming claims for the increase in policy figures , when its them that give over the details of an accident to the claims companys .

work this one out guys a neighbour at my old mans house came out to her car to find an audi TT buried in the drivers door of her car , the fella had parked it up the street because he was having starting problems and the handbrake slipped . so nobody in either cars at the time , she just had a text saying she can claim up to 4K for the accident that she was injured in .

the whole industry needs a complete overall , thats got to be bordering on fraud