The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Anyone watch 'Coppers' last night

dude

That's the thing. Dude you are watching a Tv programme.

You know how tv works right?

By the same token I once watched a programme about dodgy rude garage owners who ripped people off.

Am I to presume you are the same?

I was going to say much the same, but I'm far too respectful and polite :)

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

By the same token I once watched a programme about dodgy rude garage owners who ripped people off.

A garage I used in Brighton was on that programme once. I was ever so proud.

I dare never to go to a garage now, just in case they are the same. ;)

Dude was the main feature of the program!!! :D

Disclaimer: Joking. Dudes done work for me before and I'd recommend him to anyone.

I haven't seen the TV programme but would like to based on the comments here, so I can make up my own mind.

My thoughts on police in general are positive. I'm not saying anything here that others haven't already said, but I feel quite strongly about lippy chavs committing low-level crimes and generally being anti-social, often due to drinking too much. Too many people think they can talk to the police like they're dirt. They give back-chat if the police make reasonable requests, get a bit physical (pushing, maybe a half-hearted kick that probably misses anyway), and dance on the line between legal and illegal. They know the police have a hard time proving these types of crimes, and are often too expensive ("deemed not to be in the public interest", I believe the phrase is) to pursue anyway for the piddling punishments they'll most likely get (maybe rightly: I'm not suggesting anyone should get locked up for 10 years for swearing in public).

I see these types of scenarios being played out week after week, and I applaud the police for their patience. Lesser people would have literally banged some heads together, thereby ending their careers in an instant.

Regarding the police asking people to move on, I find it hard to believe it's not for a good reason. It's usually because the police are trying to talk to someone and they don't want too many of their mates hanging around with ill-intent, chirping in from the sidelines or worse getting involved physically. People seem to have amazingly poor situational awareness, so I wouldn't trust their judgement when they say, "But why do I need to move on?" It's another example of people pushing back against the police because... well... who knows why. At some point people have to trust the authorities in some ways, otherwise none of us will get anywhere: I wouldn't trust a policeman I didn't know with my deepest secrets, but accepting they know what they're doing when making small requests is something I can do.

Dude, how would you feel if a customer of yours asked for in-depth justification of work you intend to carry out? "Why does this oil filter need changing? Isn't there still some life in the old one? I know Toyota recommend it be changed for x miles, but they're just money-hungry b****ards. Show me where it's clogged up. Show me the proof. And the air filter: are you trying to tuck me up? I've only had it on 12 months and it looks fine to me." What if several, or most, of your customers were like that?

My experiences are from the viewpoint of someone who grew up in a reasonable area, so it might be different if I lived in a more run-down area. But the coppers in the well-off areas are still coppers.

Was the garage owner incredibley good looking, very tanned and muscular then if so yes, again there is not much intelligence going on in this thread the WHOLE point was would you as a top copper want your police portrayed in this light, either a lot of posters are stupid or dont read before they comment.

I haven't seen the TV programme but would like to based on the comments here, so I can make up my own mind.

Dude, how would you feel if a customer of yours asked for in-depth justification of work you intend to carry out? "Why does this oil filter need changing? Isn't there still some life in the old one? I know Toyota recommend it be changed for x miles, but they're just money-hungry b****ards. Show me where it's clogged up. Show me the proof. And the air filter: are you trying to tuck me up? I've only had it on 12 months and it looks fine to me." What if several, or most, of your customers were like that?

Thats prob about 90% of customers and they are quite rightfully asking, I do normally explain all this as a matter of fact so they do not need to ask too much, I always explain why I need to change something etc.

Dude its obvious people on here have generally had good experiences with the police so its pointless u or I or anyone else convincing them what very bad police are out there.

I'm astounded they have so much support on here. either some of us have had unusually bad experiences or vice versa.

I have only ever been gripped by the traffic cops, twice for street racing, once for making loads of noise in my pulsar and then a few times for speeding inc doing 51 in a 30, but they have always been fine with me, might just be because i didnt act like a pen1s and accepted that i was in the wrong.

IMO they do a good job and should be given power to use even more force :)

I think most of us just respect them for the work they do and the little thanks they get. It'd be my worst nightmare to have to patrol somewhere like Guild Hall Walk in Portsmouth on a Saturday night. We all get that there are bad eggs in the bunch, mostly they thrive off the power trip and turn into numpties, but in general they're doing a job that most of us would hate.

Was the garage owner incredibley good looking, very tanned and muscular then if so yes, again there is not much intelligence going on in this thread the WHOLE point was would you as a top copper want your police portrayed in this light, either a lot of posters are stupid or dont read before they comment.

I do agree that if I was in charge of a Station or Region, I'd hate to see bad and impolite or unnecessarily provocative policing.

Perhaps depending on the reputation of the TV company involved, I may not allow them to film anything, knowing that they want good viewing figures = show all the bad stuff and frame in in such as way it looks even worse that it may be.

Dude its obvious people on here have generally had good experiences with the police so its pointless u or I or anyone else convincing them what very bad police are out there.

I'm astounded they have so much support on here. either some of us have had unusually bad experiences or vice versa.

You actually think that I/we think there are no bad or unprofessional police? Wrong.

You also think that I/we would totally and utterly support bad/corrupt policing? Wrong.

I do think some people on here are incredibly naive about the police.

I do hope the dreamworld some of you live in never pops as you will be in for a shock when it does.

:rlol::rlol:

What can I expect when my bubble pops then?

When you call the police to report a rape and they don't bother to take the victims details?

When you report being threatened at knife point by someone in a hire van of which u have the registration date and time and they do nothing about it.

Just 2 examples off the top of my head!

And I can give any police officer on here the names of the people who reported these crimes to check.

Another numpty completley missing the point of the thread.

When you call the police to report a rape and they don't bother to take the victims details?

When you report being threatened at knife point by someone in a hire van of which u have the registration date and time and they do nothing about it.

Just 2 examples off the top of my head!

And I can give any police officer on here the names of the people who reported these crimes to check.

Also add - "Being chased by three guys who got out at the set of lights with crowbars and asked me to give them my car on the a580" to the list.

With a response of "You should not be talking on the phone whilst driving" and when i explained, they advised me to "Stop the car and leave the keys in it, run away and surrender your car to them, and come in and report it"

When I eluded capture I went into the station and told them I was the one that made the 999 call, they said they had no call logged, and that I will have to give them the details again.

Glad people like lbm find what Stephen Lawrence parents endured for 10 years hysterical.

Different kettle of fish, coppers that deal with serious crime are different ball game, a lot of stress etc and whenever ive been nicked by serious crime squad a decent bunch of guys not that far removed from the guys they are chasing, murder squad must have a terrible effect on your mind, especially dealing with kids etc.

Glad people like lbm find what Stephen Lawrence parents endured for 10 years hysterical.

How did you make the extraordinary mental leap to that conclusion with what I have said?

Secondly you have no clue as to what I've been doing for a living for the last 25 years do you?