The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Anyone watch 'Coppers' last night

dude

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As I said in my post, I didn't see the program in question, so didn't comment.

My point was that the overall negativity towards Police in this thread (and in general) is silly. It's like hearing about someone getting murdered and saying "Right that's it..... all humans are a waste of space, I'm only going to talk to dogs from now on." Yes that's a silly example, but it's the same mentality.

I agree. If I catch the program on iPlayer, I may not have any respect for the officer(s) involved, but that is not to say that I'll not have respect for the Police. I will not judge a whole body of people based on a small sample that I've come across.

I guess that's why it annoys me when people say they hate (for example) Americans based on some random encounter with someone (from the country in question) who was a complete tw@t.

I agree. If I catch the program on iPlayer, I may not have any respect for the officer(s) involved, but that is not to say that I'll not have respect for the Police. I will not judge a whole body of people based on a small sample that I've come across.

I guess that's why it annoys me when people say they hate (for example) Americans based on some random encounter with someone (from the country in question) who was a complete tw@t.

Thank god for that, i thought i was the only one thinking this for a minute.

Glad to hear some members here making sense. Its goes without saying that there are some officers in the job who really shouldn't be and clearly do not deserve to carry a warrant card.

However, this shouldn't influence the view of the entire organisation. I have a hard enough time at work with domestic violence, burglaries, alcohol based violence, drug offences, robberies, drink drivers, missing persons, sudden deaths, car theives, and a miriad of other incidents to have to constantly defend what I do and how I do it.

Not to mention pay cuts, a 2 year pay freeze and talk of messing with my pension.

Its a not an easy position to be in and probably the easiest to critisize.

Glad to hear some members here making sense. Its goes without saying that there are some officers in the job who really shouldn't be and clearly do not deserve to carry a warrant card.

However, this shouldn't influence the view of the entire organisation. I have a hard enough time at work with domestic violence, burglaries, alcohol based violence, drug offences, robberies, drink drivers, missing persons, sudden deaths, car theives, and a miriad of other incidents to have to constantly defend what I do and how I do it.

Not to mention pay cuts, a 2 year pay freeze and talk of messing with my pension.

Its a not an easy position to be in and probably the easiest to critisize.

Id pull you over for having a decat though and ask you to get a signed dated note from a garage to say you have had it fitted and that you pass emissions tests, on letter headed paper.

How does that make you feel? ;)

I watched the program, the people in question are scumbags and i like the fact the police are heavy handed with them. our Police should not be thought as a push over.

Im yet to meet a police man ive took a disliking to myself, they have all been good as gold to me, its just like meeting anyone else in day to day life, give respect and you get respect back, act like a scumbag and get treated as one.

I was waiting for a smart arse response. A lot of people have clearly had run ins with police regarding their cars. In 6 years I have never dealt with anyone for such matters. Words of advice are normally more than enough. I'm sure traffic police wouldn't be though.

I'm not traffic and i'm not a jobs worth little Hitler. I have far more important things to be dealing with.

I'm on your side people I just wish you were on mine.

What makes me laugh is when the country was falling apart during the riots everyone called for the police to be more enforcing. People wanted water cannons and plastic bullets to come into play and for them to get more physical but asoon as it gets shown on TV people then criticize there actions.

To put it bluntly a good 90% of the people on that program were a bunch of plastic gangsta's and scroats who wouldn't do as there told or wanted to be disruptive and ended up getting a little roughed up as a result. OK granted this doesn't justify brutality but if your intent on not listening and continuing to make things harder to deal with then your gonna get nicked and probably receive a bruise or two.

The whole thing with the 14 year old girl IMO was a complete mishap. The officer never intended on throwing her in the road at all you could see that. What ended up happening was she pulled the girl towards her a little to hard, the girl stumbled forward and the officer couldn't catch her in time or at least that's how I saw it.

Apart from that I quite liked how honest Police actually were but hey that's my view of things.

Decide for yourself http://www.channel4.com/programmes/coppers/4od

I watched the program, the people in question are scumbags and i like the fact the police are heavy handed with them. our Police should not be thought as a push over.

Im yet to meet a police man ive took a disliking to myself, they have all been good as gold to me.

Scumbag or not I think if that happened to your daughter you would take a different view, my daughter goes out with her mates and after a few drinks they prob all get lippy, if any copper female or male did that to my daughter I would find them get balaclaved up and kick them up and down the road, I know more bent coppers than staright ones and these guys enforce the law, same as though when polite I dont have too many problems but like I said if that were my daughter there would be hell to pay.

No the WPC last night was just a vicious little bully, threw the girl on the ground really hard and never even arrested her, you earn respect not just get it because you wear a uniform.

So if that 2 second clip of film had been lost in the edit would your opinion be any different?

The whole thing with the 14 year old girl IMO was a complete mishap. The officer never intended on throwing her in the road at all you could see that. What ended up happening was she pulled the girl towards her a little to hard, the girl stumbled forward and the officer couldn't catch her in time or at least that's how I saw it.

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/coppers/4od

You could not be more wrong, she pushes the girl back to get her off balance and then yanks her forward, its a basic Aikido type move and bearing in mind the police are trained in Tai Jiustsu as their way of defending themselves she knew exacvtly what she was doing, if you did that effecting a citizens arrest it would be ABH

So if that 2 second clip of film had been lost in the edit would your opinion be any different?

No not really, seeing police describing people as sub human etc and their whole attitude, little morec than thugs in uniform, I have great respect for proper police, Serious crime squad, murder squad etc. My partner is very pro police and she was horrified, for some strange reason I saved a copper getting a kicking once, he had 2 punctured lungs, at least he came to say thank you, and I got some lee way with the old bill for a while but these days they have the go in hard attitude to soon with the wrong people, they seem to struggle to read situations they have no people skills.

You could not be more wrong, she pushes the girl back to get her off balance and then yanks her forward, its a basic Aikido type move and bearing in mind the police are trained in Tai Jiustsu as their way of defending themselves she knew exacvtly what she was doing, if you did that effecting a citizens arrest it would be ABH

And if a bloke starts shouting at you in a threatening way and you push him over and he hits his head knocks him out or worse you would be charged with gbh or as it has happened murder/manslaughter if he dies but it allowed for the police to do it!!

You clearly know more stuff that others don't but doesn't mean my opinion is 'wrong'. Granted it wasn't exactly called for but hey what's done is done. The whole situation would of been avoided if they weren't allowing 14 year olds to get smashed out of there face, that's just bad parenting IMO.

And if a bloke starts shouting at you in a threatening way and you push him over and he hits his head knocks him out or worse you would be charged with gbh or as it has happened murder/manslaughter if he dies but it allowed for the police to do it!!

That does not make sense, if I punch someone of course I will get charged so i expect the police to get charged, look if I have a tear up with a copper and get treated like that its fair play but that was a 14 year old girl and she was not trying to fight anyone

You clearly know more stuff that others don't but doesn't mean my opinion is 'wrong'. Granted it wasn't exactly called for but hey what's done is done. The whole situation would of been avoided if they weren't allowing 14 year olds to get smashed out of there face, that's just bad parenting IMO.

The whole point is if you were a top copper would you want that on TV, suer she was drunk, did you never drink at school or college !!!

The police are trained in very little, much to the frustration of the civilian officer safety training staff at headquarters. Trust me the vast majority of officers go on instinct or previous experience. I've been training various martial arts for over 20 years and as such hardly ever need to get hands on as I prefer to talk to people.

As I stated before there are a handful of officers who shouldn't be in the police but they are the minority.

I'll watch the program later if I have time and post my opinion.

There's alot of Police hating on this thread, which I find pretty sad.

I've had a few minor run ins with them before, but I know I was in the wrong every time. I've always been apologetic, well mannered and respectful, and so they've always been pleasant. In my experience, people who have a problem with the Police tend to be those that have committed crimes and don't/won't/can't acknowledge their guilt when they get caught.

If you're going to go out drinking and be abusive, you deserve everything you get IMO, male or female, regardless of age. Hopefully that girl will learn her lesson.

It has never been more difficult to be in the Police as it is now, so try and be understanding towards them. They're only human, they will make mistakes and they often have to deal with situations that we (well, certainly I) would never want to deal with.

There's alot of Police hating on this thread, which I find pretty sad.

I've had a few minor run ins with them before, but I know I was in the wrong every time. I've always been apologetic, well mannered and respectful, and so they've always been pleasant. In my experience, people who have a problem with the Police tend to be those that have committed crimes and don't/won't/can't acknowledge their guilt when they get caught.

If you're going to go out drinking and be abusive, you deserve everything you get IMO, male or female, regardless of age. Hopefully that girl will learn her lesson.

It has never been more difficult to be in the Police as it is now, so try and be understanding towards them. They're only human, they will make mistakes and they often have to deal with situations that we (well, certainly I) would never want to deal with.

I believe this to be the first time i have agreed to something you have said :D

I believe this to be the first time i have agreed to something you have said :D

That makes two of us! :D

I have been pulled quite a few times by the police over the years, most of them have been nice. They are apologised for my time and explain why they stopped me etc. Couple of times have been left off as well with minor things and just a caution, it does depend who you get.

I have one officer who nearly drove into me and then went mental in front of my wife, now if you are polite to me I will always be polite back to you. If you are being rude, then expect it back and he didn't like that and I would not be talked to in such a rude manner as the incident was not my fault. After a 20 minute argument at the side of the road he then calmed down and apologised and say it is a miss-understanding on both our parts, we shook hands and I was on my way. I never thought nothing of it, I just put it down to us both having quite a long day so we both kicked off.

2 guys off this very form I know are police officers (although one looks more like a bouncer!) & they are fantastic people to be around. People forget, yes they have been given the extra power as a citizen but not everyone is abusing this, but yes some are. Don't tar everything with the same brush, people are too quick to do this, regardless of the topic.