The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Do i need planning permission

hp006

Im wanting to build a porch on the front of my house. Its 3m to the highway but only 0.5m away from my neighbours boundary. The planning portal is not clear it seems to suggest its only concern is 2m from the highway boundary but no other boundary. I have tried contacting planning but only to be told pay for an application and we will tell you. Im not paying £300 for a quick 30 sec yes no answer.

Anyone have any idea??

Building without planning is not something i have much to do with tbh, built plenty of porch's but its normally along with an extension, iirc as long as you keep the existing front door in place and the porch is under 3m of floor space you are ok, dont hold me to it though.

It was my understanding the boundary distance requirements were only part of your permitted development rights.

Whilst a porch is also covered by this it is separately legislated as you can build one without permission as long as it does not exceed 3 square meters, not 3 meters squared.

In other words the outer wall of the porch cannot exceed, for example 3m x 1m or 2m x 1.5m. Not 3m x 3m.

Basically it's so limited that you would need to apply for planning permission, that is unless your porch does not face the highway and is outside of the boundary distance requirements then you can use your permitted development right.

Basically it's sonlimited that you would need to apply for planning permission, that is unless your porch does not face the highway and is outside of the boundary distance requirements then you can use your permitted development right.

:blink:

I understand its p.d if the floor area is under 3m as you say. The porch will be at the front of the house 3m away from the highway but only 0.5m from next door. It say p.d is granted as long as it doesnt fall into one of 3 rules. My issue is the 3rd rule

No part of porch to be within 2 metres of any boundary that fronts a highway.

It the only shows an arrow of 2m to the highway not to nexts doors boundary. The other thought is i have a porch canopy. Well when u look at the definition of a porch its:

A covered platform, usually having a separate roof, at an entrance to a building

Well does that mean i technically have a porch as it fits in the defintion it just doesnt have walls so adding walls wouldnt matter??

I've just had a look myself at the website and I would say that as long as you don't exceed the 3 square meter rule you will be OK. The only distance requirement is, as you state, 2m from the highway, footpath, bridleway etc.. Nothing about adjoining property boundaries. If you get on with your neighbours I would just ask if it's OK with them, but seeing as you have a covered porch area already I can't see any reason for them to legitimately object.