The mkiv Supra Owners Club

I think my engine just swallowed a piston! - RESOLVED

neo2810

Exhaust manifold mate, by the sounds of it, right near the top too.

As for oil around the dizzy, thats a seal leaking, I wouldn't worry too much about it, mine leaked for 20k.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the two pipes from the manifold flange into the first cat has cracked. It'll probably be the one with the flexi bellows in it. If you remove the cat you can get a good stainless welder to clean the crack out and TIG or MIG it up and it will be fine. If you can't find anyone local I can do it, I've done loads of them. Elementary my dear fellow. Oh, and I have the O rings in stock to repair the disi leak.

Chris, cheers bud,I'll have a gander tomorrow. The exhaust is only about 12 months old but I guess they would blame it on impact and I'd have no recourse?

Have you grounded the exhaust on anything lately then? I had a similar noise from my Granada 2.8i years ago from scraping a baffle box on a concrete ramp and it split the sheet metal bit. Needless to say, applying packing tape to it didn't last long but it got me home without waking half of Aldershot! :D

Have you still got the full AAS exhaust on it Tony? I thought they made a custom manifold, de catted it etc? Might be worth checking the o2 sensor as mentioned above, I've seen a sensor blown out of the bung (albeit on an MGF).

Ben

I'll be having a proper look shortly (once I've motivated my butt to get a shower)... Chris, mine's a straight through custom exhaust and manifold so I can't see it being a split since I've not hit anything recently. It's possible one of the senser bungs has popped or the manifold gasket blown. I'll know more shortly.

Here we go... I've had a good look and can't see anything obviously wrong with either the exhaust or the O2 sensors (the rubber sheath around the wire slips up and down it but the sensor is secure in the input hole). The sound is worst at the bit I've circled, near the left side of the manifold join to the block but the bolts are all solid (on hand test), the seal looks good and the manifold has no play.

However, there are 2 areas on the block where a bolt may have worked loose. The first is below (although looks like it's been like that for ages)

The 2nd (which is shiney inside so looks to be a newly exposed thread) on the transmission bell housing although that may belong to the original exhaust setup:

Any further ideas?

Edited by neo2810 (see edit history)

OK, scrub all I said, I assumed it was on a stock manifold with the first cat in place. Now I see it's a tubular manifold with the support bracket to the bellhousing missing, it may still be a crack, somewhere in the manifold, or a blow at the manifold to head flange gasket, or the manifold to rest of the system flange gasket. It's dead easy to find the blow, just get a 3 foot length of rubber hose pipe and hold one end to you ear and poke about with the other end until you hear the leak. The holes in the block and bellhousing are nothing to do with your problem.

I have never heard a rubber hose scream "You've burnt me", go for it mate.

You have to open your third eye and become one with the hose Chris. I read that in 'Zen and The Art of Hosepipe Maintenance'.

So began my long and arduous journey of spiritual enlightenment through the foothills of the Himalayas, in search of The Truth. :D

Or a warped flange, probably head to manifold flange as it's long, undivided and possibly too thin for the thread to plain shank length of the stock head studs without thick washers. I suspect that even torqued up the nuts are not clamping that manifold properly..

Chris, if that is the case, what can be done?