The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Arai RX-7 GP helmet. Is it really worth the high price tag?

Aero-M

Looking into helmets for my motorbike and see the arai rx-7 gp is said to be the ultimate helmet available, with prices about to rise to £700.

Now I have looked at the sharp site and it achived a 4 star rating, there are many other lids out there that have achieved either the same or better still a 5 star rating for much much less.

I went to Orwell motorcycles and they said dont take to much notice of the sharp ratings as Arai's own test are far better.

There was a scheme run by Arai called ride before you buy, the helmets were the rx7gp and the quantum. You could use the helmet for a day to see if you liked it then return and buy one if you wanted. The motorcycle shop are now selling the ride before you buy helmets off cheap as they are bright yellow and have ride before you buy on the front and back of the helmet. Doesn't bother me though as the medium they have hasn't been out on the road or tried on.

I went in looking for a yellow helmet for good visibility and if this is the ultimate helmet then at the price they have offered it to me of £299 would be a massive bargain? Hopefully a few of you have experience with Arai, especially the RX7 GP.

Yeah looks fine to me, id take the stickers off though, Ive got the Nakano which went well with my bike at the time.

They are underneath the laquer, so wouldn't come off without ruining it.

Lovely bike that, and nice to have a lid that matches.

I have just been knocked of to many times I want to stand out as much a possible. I just recieved my Weiss fluro jacket today and that is so bright It makes a lollypop lady look dull.

I have the pedrosa replica Arai rx7-gp mate and love it best lid ive ever owned. If youre gettin an rx7-gp for £299 its well worth the money mate! I took mine out today for a right good first blast of the year and im still smiling from it. Arai ftw! Mine was £580 when i bought it if it's going for £299 Martyn get it purchased and ride in the know that you're melon is in good hands.

My Dad has always said to me. "What price your head mate?". It's the one area you never skimp on, spend the money! Had an Arai lid myself for years, before that I had Stand21. They're both good, but expensive.

Paying extra doesn't necessarily mean that you're getting any better protection for your money over that of a cheaper nut. It just means that you're getting a more refined bit of kit i.e. lighter and more technically advanced components, better aero-design from research, and lighter materials. There is also the matter of a brand name and association with certain riders that hikes up the price somewhat.

Paying extra doesn't necessarily mean that you're getting any better protection for your money over that of a cheaper nut. It just means that you're getting a more refined bit of kit i.e. lighter and more technically advanced components, better aero-design from research, and lighter materials. There is also the matter of a brand name and association with certain riders that hikes up the price somewhat.

1. Lighter; Lower moment of inertia exhibited on your head in the event the motion of your body is suddenly arrested, so less force on your neck.

2. More technically advanced materials; I'm guessing that if a manufacturer has used a new composite in place of an old one, there will be a reason for it, i.e. It will absorb and dissapate the shock of impact better, for example.

3. Better aero design; Less strain during use/more comfy ove extended periods at high speed.

If that's where my extra money is going, I will happily pay it! You only get one head!

Ofc if you want a rossi replica, you're actually paying for the tart factor, as opposed to the best lid you can afford/ what is right for you :)

Just been to pick it up. Must say the fit is exceptional compared to other lids I tried in the shop. The shop have said it hasn't been out on test and it doesn't have a mark on it so I'm sure it hasn't.

So got myself the best lid on the market for under 300 pounds, well chuffed.