The mkiv Supra Owners Club

The black Beast 2012 updates. (sentenced to death)

JamieP

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was on oem 1.4mm gasket, now on HKS 1.2 and slight head skim.

I didn't realise the OEM was quite as thick as that. Of course, the skim will also have an impact - duh, I've not woken up yet. :)

Remap required or is it not likely to be significant enough a difference / or is it within the ECU's fine-tuning range without too much bother?

you may find you need a little more than 95lb

i erred on the side of caution with a similar figure when installing L19 on mine as i didnt want to pull the block out of round too much, but it was pressurising the coolant a bit on the dyno with a 4708 on 29psi so i retorqued them all up to 105ftlb with the moly lube and that fixed it

yeah as mentioned i thought 95lb to be a good starting point too.

when i decided to tighten them after it pressurised at 95lb i only planned to go to 100, but when i was going around the studs, two were a bit looser than the rest so i ended up going around again and went a little over.

actually when it first pushed into the coolant it was on 27psi but its since been retuned on 29 and has subsequently held fine

see how it goes for you. maybe cylinder pressure is less and it will cope. i think both our cars trap 150ish though?.. thats why i thought i would pipe up

sorry about double post above, mod pls delete

Ok thanks for the advice, luckily the cams are not in yet, I just told lee to torque it down to 105ftlb, I found a thread on supraforum and 105 is what ARP say to torque it to as well.

That was a close call, I bet you are glad the man dropped in your thread when he did..!

That was a close call, I bet you are glad the man dropped in your thread when he did..!

I read a lot of threads on the L19's and all the yanks seem to torque them between 90-95ftlb but arp say you can go up to 105, it's nice to hear from other owners though so I've gone with the same as j2x has to be on the safe side, don't fancy pulling the cams again.

49psi on an 88mm plus 175 spray .... wonder what torque his head studs are at? .. sw's old car built back in the day so mightve been built with 1/2" before they even made the 7/16

i just hope im not steering you wrong. not sure what could be amiss though, im not a mechanic but the surfaces were true and i used the factory pattern and supplied moly lube. just offering my info.

.. don't fancy pulling the cams again.
why.. its only the fan, radiator, all the belts, cam covers, cam caps and cams that have to come off :)