The mkiv Supra Owners Club

The black Beast 2012 updates. (sentenced to death)

JamieP

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:D

Be interesting to see if the 45's make any difference to the power over the 90 degree bends, im back on the dyno shortly, got to test to see if im still getting head lift after Lee re-torqued the head, if i am it means head off, new gasket and L19 ARP's

I went out for a blast in the car yesterday, just noticed the heat from the turbo has blistered the paint on my new bonnet:(

Stonkin is coming over tomorrow to do a bit of machine polishing on the car, I think the bonnet is going to need repainting though, bloody bonnet has cost me a fortune:(

I went out for a blast in the car yesterday, just noticed the heat from the turbo has blistered the paint on my new bonnet:(

bloody bonnet has cost me a fortune:(

you cant beat a stock bonnet with a uk scoop:D

Stonkin is coming over tomorrow to do a bit of machine polishing on the car, I think the bonnet is going to need repainting though, bloody bonnet has cost me a fortune:(

Is there anything that can be done with insulation on the underside of the bonnet?

you cant beat a stock bonnet with a uk scoop:D

Yup, might put the other one back on and flog this one.

Is there anything that can be done with insulation on the underside of the bonnet?

I did just think about putting a sheet of thin highly polished stainless on the underside, give it some bling and protection.

This happened to my fibreglass bonnet on a track day years ago, I glued some heat reflective matting on to the underside of it and problem was cured and hasn't done it since and thats with LOTS of track use where it gets very hot under there. Pretty sure this is what I used http://www.thermotec.com/products/14001-aluminized-heat-barrier.html looks quite neat if you cut it out nice.

This happened to my fibreglass bonnet on a track day years ago, I glued some heat reflective matting on to the underside of it and problem was cured and hasn't done it since and thats with LOTS of track use where it gets very hot under there. Pretty sure this is what I used http://www.thermotec.com/products/14001-aluminized-heat-barrier.html looks quite neat if you cut it out nice.

Sounds the best option to me.

Nightmare about the new bonnet JP...just remember that it looks the nuts!:D

That might be due to the blending in of the panel, had it before back when i was a boy racer and stuck baking trays to the bonnet.

My carbon bonnet has yellowed a little just above where the turbo is too. And the paint on my spark plug cover also blistered due to the heat. When I take the head off, I'll look into more heat protection on the turbo, manifold and downpipe.

My carbon bonnet has yellowed a little just above where the turbo is too. And the paint on my spark plug cover also blistered due to the heat. When I take the head off, I'll look into more heat protection on the turbo, manifold and downpipe.

A heat turbo blanket instead of a sheild must be a must surely?.

I'm fitting both Rob, just to be sure.

Jamie is the bonnet all carbon fibre of fibreglass with carbon overlay? Kevin has a full carbon fibre bonnet and when it's up you can see light through the weave. If yours is all carbon I'd imagine the heat will disperse through the weave, into the clear coat and blister the paint. Just a theory though.

I'm fitting both Rob, just to be sure.

Jamie is the bonnet all carbon fibre of fibreglass with carbon overlay? Kevin has a full carbon fibre bonnet and when it's up you can see light through the weave. If yours is all carbon I'd imagine the heat will disperse through the weave, into the clear coat and blister the paint. Just a theory though.

good idea John.

Jamies bonnet is ALL stock but i think the hump is carbon which has been bonded onto the stock bonnet.