The mkiv Supra Owners Club

The black Beast 2012 updates. (sentenced to death)

JamieP

what is it, is the spool not as instant as you had hoped for?

Spool is not as good as i had hoped but i can live with that, bit disappointed that the turbo max'd at 2 bar, might try a divided 67 and hope it will take more boost.

Gotta love the syvecs, putting me in limp mode today saved my engine i bet.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spool is not as good as i had hoped but i can live with that, bit disappointed that the turbo max'd at 2 bar, might try a divided 67 and hope it will take more boost.

Jamie, have you tried Owen Developments to see if they can supply a turbo to your requirements? Lee Owen sat and listened to me about what I wanted - and boost to run etc. They can make you pretty much anything you fancy.

Jamie, have you tried Owen Developments to see if they can supply a turbo to your requirements? Lee Owen sat and listened to me about what I wanted - and boost to run etc. They can make you pretty much anything you fancy.

I emailed them a while back and they said they cant do me a new hotside in the spec i want.

Without wanting to state the obvious (granny sucking eggs and all that.....) - the boost is only really a measure of how restrictive the whole engine related system is. If you put that turbo on a non ported head, with smaller valves, milder cams, or a crappy manifold or smaller exhaust you would probably see more boost. You would make less power though.

What power did you expect or, what power were you told this turbo was capable of? I wouldn't give the boost any thought at all if it's making the power it should.

Without wanting to state the obvious (granny sucking eggs and all that.....) - the boost is only really a measure of how restrictive the whole engine related system is. If you put that turbo on a non ported head, with smaller valves, milder cams, or a crappy manifold or smaller exhaust you would probably see more boost. You would make less power though.

What power did you expect or, what power were you told this turbo was capable of? I wouldn't give the boost any thought at all if it's making the power it should.

Yeah i know you are right, turbo is rated to 985bhp so its doing as it should.

http://www.precisionturbo.net/Street-and-Race/ss/800-1-000HP/details/Street-and-Race-Turbocharger---PT7175-CEA%C2%AE/273

You could run an intercooler bypass (boost regulated bypass under .5bar) removes lag then opens to allow fullflow and cooling when needed

Ideally a divided hotside running quickspool valve to increase velocity initially

Custom built hotside one-off or modified would be scary expensive

the boost is only really a measure of how restrictive the whole engine related system is. If you put that turbo on a non ported head, with smaller valves, milder cams, or a crappy manifold or smaller exhaust you would probably see more boost. You would make less power though.

That was the explanation/theory I was coming up with too but I couldn't have worded it as sweetly. And because i know S.F.A. about these things I thought it best to keep my mouth shut.

That was the explanation/theory I was coming up with too but I couldn't have worded it as sweetly. And because i know S.F.A. about these things I thought it best to keep my mouth shut.

Admit it D, it wasn't what you was thinking at all :p

Its making full boost about 4200-4300 rpm id say, just been out again to see if it would go in limp mode and it seems fine, maybe it was just a bit low on fuel and the top pump overheated?

Im not unhappy with it, still feels blooming fast, good news is there is no vibration at speed so must have been the prop.

Its making full boost about 4200-4300 rpm id say, just been out again to see if it would go in limp mode and it seems fine, maybe it was just a bit low on fuel and the top pump overheated?

Im not unhappy with it, still feels blooming fast, good news is there is no vibration at speed so must have been the prop.

Does this mean she's running at pod now then?

whatever way you look at it fella still a 1000 hp car, and 4200 rpm is a good improvement from the last dyno graph i saw, wheres ur redline ?

Ive not made my mind up yet, i worried about breaking the stock prop tbh.

Have you had any success with sorting out a new prop (not the stock one you bought) as I think I remember reading you were having a custom one made?

Cool no worrys, so as Im not a boost junky what are the benefits of dropping from 1200bhp or near as for arguments sake to 1000bhp? Is it just the spool time? If so in theory could this set up be quicker on the quarter?

I totaly understand the whole quarter mile time thing has gone now I'm just thinking out loud.

Have you had any success with sorting out a new prop (not the stock one you bought) as I think I remember reading you were having a custom one made?

Not had a chance to sort anything yet, been to busy

how much have you got out of a stock prop fella before twisting ?

It broke first time i used the car in anger, and that was on the street with a 2nd to 3rd gear change, id kill a stock prop with one start at the pod.

we got the Evo 9 coming with tools if you need a hand mate.

Got a mechanic? im not crawling round under the car mate, i really cant be arsed to break it tbh.

can you not make ryan bring the other pump on when you reach say 10 psi ?

btw do you have a surge tank system ?

i had similiar issues and switching the 2nd pump on at 10psi cured it but we will see tomorrow with lower levels of fuel witht the surge tank.

Pumps are staged, Fuel system has been fine for 2 years, my money is on split pipe.

Dont get me wrong, its still mental fast, i just wanted more boost, had 200mph down the A34 and it feels strong, spool time is not what i had hoped for

You really need to go in a NA again Jp :D

I am sure you are secretly plotting at home your next move.