The mkiv Supra Owners Club

long low angle sports car ramps

peter richards

I can confirm my ramps arrived yesterday. I have yet to see them as they were delivered to my brothers work. He is in the trade and has said they look great.

I plan on getting some paint on mine before I us them. Any suggestions what would be beat to use?

Thanks for making these Peter :thumbs:

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

im making the last 3 sets now as the payments were going to be delayed a bit , then was going to see if i could get another 5 , which from the early interest should happen , but they do take slightly longer to make than i first thought , but i am making them better than the e bay ones as they look a bit flimsey

thanks guys i bought some extra steel the other day to make a back stop , which i think finishes them off better , havnt got a pic of a finished set as they needed to go as soon as id finished them.

josh go get your camera

In the pub again. Too drunk for pictures. Oh no!

Tomorrow dude. Took the file over it earlier so it's smooth as! Time to paint it tomorrow :)

If you want them to last almost as well as having the hot dip galvanized there's only one paint to use. Galvafroid. Pylons, bridges, offshore structures, blah blah all use this (expensive) paint. I have painted bare mild steel posts in it, put them in wet soil for 10 years, dug `em out and the sub soil part is as good as the part above ground. Awesome stuff, but, as I said, it's dear. You'll be mazed how heavy a tin of it is, that's the zinc suspended in the base coat. I have used it for 25 years, and have found nothing else that even comes close. That's the stuff to use if you don't want to send them for hot dipping.

If you need to get some stuff that REALLY works then this is the stuff to get. It even looks like galvanizing that's aged a bit, when it;s dry. I know it's dear (it's gone up a lot recently I guess, but what hasn't?), but I still use it on things that are worthy. It also goes a long way as you don't need thick coats.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest mikeydude

Well. they do say that " impersonation is the best form of flattery" Although using flat bar down the sides is a mistake as it is much weaker in a sideways collapse scenario than proper angle material.

As you may have guessed we are the manufacturer of the original ramps and have stumbled upon this thread, I am impressed with your efforts and it looks as though the first picture does indeed show our ramps...

not going to get into any argument here , but the first pic with jamies car was posted by JP from a response in a totally different thread. just to back up what ive made and dispel what youve said about the flat bar which is 25mmx8mm and in the length it is is far stronger that 3mm angle , plus its fully welded so ive no issues about its strength, dont think there is a pic of the actual completed ramps on here atm but you will find they are far superior than the ones in the first pic ,

Here are a few pictures for you. Sorry they're not the best as there's so much stuff in the garage, but I'm not dragging them onto the drive in socks :p

IMO they're great! The only thing I could think of that might make them better is the top step/bar being put a little bit wider apart from the next one so the wheel has a place to sit, rather than on either the last gap or the one before. That's just me being picky though and it wouldn't take much to move the bar if I wanted to.

• 1 month later...