The mkiv Supra Owners Club

long low angle sports car ramps

peter richards

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The group buy is okay, but morally I do have to raise my concerns for safety.

You are putting a car that weighs 3400lbs on to a set of ramps that have not been safety tested. You will be working under the car while a large proportion of the weight of it rests on those ramps. One failed weld or weakened strutt could see the ramp fold and once one goes the other folds or falls with it.

I apologise to Peter for posting this, but I cannot let any thread carry on without raising this as I dont want to see any members squashed flat as a pancake.

Thats an interesting point - I'm assuming ramps you buy from places like halfrauds would be kitemarked (or whatever it is now) so if one of these ramps did fail would the person making it be liable to damages/possible manslaughter (worse case), and would the club be liable by association? Its almost like you'd have to sell the ramps with disclaimer on their usage for cars. Just thinking out loud!

I'm not fussed by those ebay ones, they don't look quite as up to the job. I'm going to ask my local blackmiths (yes, they do still exist) if they can make me a set and see what the cost would be. Failing that, I'll make my own out of solid wood - a smaller set I made years ago has been invaluable. :)

Your the 2nd person to say that now, Peter himself was the first. I'm curious as to what makes you say they don't look up to the job? You can't really see much detail in those photo's, they look identical to Peters from what i can see?? I'm not an expert though or even an amateur when it comes to working with steel, which is why i asked Peter but i didn't get a response. If you genuinely think they're not up to the task for a particular reason then let me know so i dont buy them. PM me if you prefer :)

I'd use them in conjunction with axle stands John, its just so much easier to drive them up on the ramp, bung the axle stands in and away you go.

The group buy is okay, but morally I do have to raise my concerns for safety.

You are putting a car that weighs 3400lbs on to a set of ramps that have not been safety tested. You will be working under the car while a large proportion of the weight of it rests on those ramps. One failed weld or weakened strutt could see the ramp fold and once one goes the other folds or falls with it.

I apologise to Peter for posting this, but I cannot let any thread carry on without raising this as I dont want to see any members squashed flat as a pancake.

Your the 2nd person to say that now, Peter himself was the first. I'm curious as to what makes you say they don't look up to the job? You can't really see much detail in those photo's, they look identical to Peters from what i can see?? I'm not an expert though or even an amateur when it comes to working with steel, which is why i asked Peter but i didn't get a response. If you genuinely think they're not up to the task for a particular reason then let me know so i dont buy them. PM me if you prefer :)

I'd like more cross-bracing before I'd b happy working under them to be honest - probably the same goes for Peter's ramps as well to be honest. It wouldn't be a big job to get a local company to beef them up, but if I'm going to do that I may as well ask them to do the whole fabrication: and make them strong enough to take a working load of 3 tons so I can put my Landrover on them too! :)

I'd like more cross-bracing before I'd b happy working under them to be honest - probably the same goes for Peter's ramps as well to be honest. It wouldn't be a big job to get a local company to beef them up, but if I'm going to do that I may as well ask them to do the whole fabrication: and make them strong enough to take a working load of 3 tons so I can put my Landrover on them too! :)

Cheers Steve :thumbs:

I'll give it a couple of days, if no-one else is interested i'll look into alternatives.

i just felt dan that the general finish on them was a bit rough . but thats me probably being fussy , ive been fabricating sinse i was a kid time served and all that , what you will find with the ones i made there will be no sharp edges , everything rounded off .

but as i said before they are car ramps so probably doesnt make a great deal of difference.