The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Black J-Spec RZ, 6-speed TT - In need of a lot of work!

Thorin

Well I've been threatening it for ages now, but it has to go. It's all Ian C's fault with his recent length of ownership thread. I think over 10 years is long enough and I'd rather not lie awake at night worrying what potentially serious thing might go wrong next, or wondering what to do with it.

There's just so much that needs sorting out now that I just don't have the money to put it all right, nor the desire. I've not lost the Supra love... just the love for my Supra. Even if I had the money, to me, I'm just not sure it's worth fixing up a 17 year old car. To someone who knows one end of a spanner from the other then it's maybe not so bad. I was going to wait until March after the MOT and sell then, but I think I just want rid sharpish now, get a cheap runabout in the interim and possibly save up for a single turbo Supra. Or possibly not.

The basics...

Black late 1994 (on an M plate) J-Spec RZ, bought in November 2001 from JIC in Surrey, I was the first UK owner

6-speed

18" Ultralite wheels currently on Avon ZZ3's all round with plenty of meat left on them

HKS mushroom induction kit

HKS boost gauge mounted in place of the clock

Whifbitz twin box exhaust

Full decat

Fluidyne radiator

Larger UK/Export spec brakes

Cheapo front strut brace

Cheapo stereo with decent focal speakers in the front (rears are shot and need replacing)

Cloth front seats, leatherette rear

106,000 miles

oil changed fairly regularly

It did a couple of track days in it's earlier years, but it's had a fairly easy life otherwise. Mainly used every day for the few junctions down the motorway to work and back.

The bad things...

Exterior condition

Scrape/dent down to the metal just behind the rear passenger side wheel arch, now rusted a bit. Was driven into in the middle of the night outside our old house years ago, they didn't get who did it, and I never did anything about it.

After the recent heavy winds, the fence blew down on it and there's some big scrapes down the passenger door, but not too bad.

Several other scratches and chips befitting of a 17 year old car I guess, it could no doubt be improved with a lot of elbow grease, but it only gets 1 or 2 washes a year.

Wheels badly corroded on the rim. It lives outside, and did I mention it only gets 1 or 2 washes a year?

Driver's side door lock seized, I've tried WD40, but it doesn't seem to have helped. Not been an issue until the battery dies in the alarm fob, then I just used the passenger door

Interior condition

Not bad I guess, again befitting a 17 year old car.

Problems

Wheel alignment is out quite a bit, wheel place couldn't correct it due to the adjusters being seized and wanted it for a full day to sort out.

Slight vibration under braking at motorway speeds, I suspect warped discs.

Turbo oil seals leaking quite badly. A fair amount of oil comes out of the end of the air filter and makes a mess, but it's been like this for ages and I just keep topping up the oil. Still makes just about stock boost, despite it being a full decat and no restrictor ring so it really should make more. It's been that way for years, I just figured I'd leave it at stock boost to prolong the turbo's.

Powersteering has just started leaking, from somewhere.

Oil has been changed fairly regularly (every year to 18 months, it doesn't do that many miles and it doesn't get thrashed), but all the other fluids... not so much, and they all could do with changing no doubt.

Belts haven't been changed since I've owned the car (from around 45,000 miles).

Alarm key fob ring snapped ages ago, and the buttons stick down if pressed too hard :p

Is it worth anything to anyone? Breaking for parts? £4k? Less?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Damn you. I want this car but simply can't justify it.

Yes you can. I can throw in all sorts of extras. Not limited to, but including...

The old clock and broken stereo

some clear front indicators bought about ooh 7 years ago now

brand new O2 sensor, um bought from Michael, oh yes probably a few years ago again

large box of haribo from the factory just down the road in Pontefract

man hugs

etc. etc.

I thought so, now everyone is making me think it's too low.

I'd say it's about right and honest. The trouble is that I'm guessing most people are thinking about what they see cars up for vs what they actually sell for. This car is worth 4k for an EASY sale, it's worth a bit more if you had the time etc to sell it.

To get it on the road and running well would take a couple of K so if someone took it on as a project they could definitely do a lot worse. New adjusters, nuts etc (£500 all round iirc), Valve stem seals (£1000 tops), respray (£2000), nice wheels (£1000?).

That would make for a mint TT for around £8-£9k with everything sorted, fresh and mint.

Some supra love while in the UK CJ? :D

Sort of Scott. I have been the mouthpiece for a fellow member who is stuck in a meeting. He (as have many others on here) has been a great source of help and support during the past few months and to have a chance to help him in return was a pleasure. I am pretty sure he will be along shortly to let himself be known.

In the mean time I want to thank Thorin for being so understanding and for the ease of the sale - top man.

I sure hope the buyer know's what he's getting into. Probably cost best part of 2-3k to put it right if not more.

Of course, but I'm being honest with everything and I wasn't sure what to expect, but I thought £4k was probably decent to expect. Someone who knows what they're doing with a spanner can probably sort most of the things out cheap themselves. Which just leaves the re-spray, or at least partial re-spray.

Considering I've not even posted any photo's of the damage etc. if he's not entirely happy then I'll have to reconsider.

:thumbs:

A sale in less than three hours can't be bad at all. Who says the market is dead? :)

Methinks it is only dead for those with unrealistic expectations my friend. They look at the for sale threads and don't take into account that some cars have been sitting there a long time and gradually (and sometimes rapidly) dropping in price until they hit a realistic valuation.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. You might also be interested in our Guidelines, Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.