The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Driving a "better" car than your boss...thoughts?

jonathanc

There's been a few time this topic cropped up so I would like to know more opinion about this. What are your thoughts about driving a more flashy car compared to your boss? Is it kosher to park your porker next to your bosses Mondeo Titanium X?

Do bosses really have deep hatred against his underlings which happen to drive a "better" car than him? If you happen to have a better car than your boss should you buy a shed to drive for work and save it for the weekends?

Any thoughts?

My boss has a DB9 and a Range Rover Sport Supercharged so I dont think he should be worried :D

Well my car isn't that flash but from what others say I think I am nearing the line. I am also thinking of upgrading to a slightly better model next year but seriously rethinking this. I've heard cars is a "status symbol" in companies sometimes and if you drive a "better" car than your boss you won't get a payrise and maybe even get sacked!

Depends on why your boss drives the car he does. I recently found out that there are people in the world that are not into cars, truth. If he likes boats (like my boss) then he wouldn't look twice at your porsche when he knows he has a 350k sunseeker down the marina (like my boss). Maybe he drives a mondeo as he's into something else with his money or else saves his aston for the weekends, either way I dont think he's going to care to much what you spend your money on, my boss likes it when I spend money on things like cars as he knows I'll be hungry for money trying to pay for it so it works out for him.

I could not care less if anyone that works for me had a better car, I just hope they didnt get into debt over it, Id never get finance on a car myself.

Well I like my cars and I must admit I do change them often but I rarely get finance on them and if I do I pay them off in ~2 years. I am just a bit worried about my job as I work in the central office and park pretty close to the boss... To be honest though most people in my department are not car nuts (or on company car scheme) so they all got economical (boring) cars...

Depends on why your boss drives the car he does. I recently found out that there are people in the world that are not into cars, truth. If he likes boats (like my boss) then he wouldn't look twice at your porsche when he knows he has a 350k sunseeker down the marina (like my bloody boss). Maybe he drives a mondeo as he's into something else with his money or else saves his aston for the weekends, either way I dont think he's going to care to much what you spend your money on, my boss likes it when I spend money on things like cars as he knows I'll be hungry for money trying to pay for it so it works out for him.

Ah true. Our Chairman has a boat too but I don't see him that often :p I hope my boss thinks that way too. I've been hearing "gossips" about me and my car so just made me think a little... To be frank I don't spend money on anything else but bills, family and my car! I still wear same clothes I have 10 years ago, don't go to disco/pubs often (1-2 times a month) but I like to splash out on cars :p

Depends on why your boss drives the car he does. I recently found out that there are people in the world that are not into cars, truth. If he likes boats (like my boss) then he wouldn't look twice at your porsche when he knows he has a 350k sunseeker down the marina (like my bloody boss). Maybe he drives a mondeo as he's into something else with his money or else saves his aston for the weekends, either way I dont think he's going to care to much what you spend your money on, my boss likes it when I spend money on things like cars as he knows I'll be hungry for money trying to pay for it so it works out for him.

Nail = head..!!

I would imagine if you were beating him on many fronts ie;

Younger

Better Looking

Car Spec/Number Of Cars

Take home pay

Size Of House/number of properties

Attractiveness of wife girlfriend

Spec of boat, plane, number of each

Size of penis, length & girth

Number of Holidays abroad

etc.

It all depends on what he personally sees as a sign of happiness/success. If I were your boss and you were beating me on more than two of the above, I would fire you..!!

H.

It really shouldn't matter. If a boss gets upset over such things, it's not a good indication of his/her management skills.

An intelligent boss should realise that the car in the car park is only part of the equation. Maybe the guy with the banger in the car park has a £50,000 stereo at home, or a tiny mortgage on a nice house, or has significant savings in the bank. The reverse is obviously true as Jamie said: the guy with the nice car might be saddled with a mini-mortgage of car finance.

Strange culture we have, oh look at his car, he is earning too much money !!! Whereas in germany if you dont drive a nice car no one deals with you because they think you dont know what you are doing.

Both points of view are bonkers IMO. The first is jealousy, and the second is "keeping up with the Joneses" because it's socially expected of you.

Depends on the boss.

When i worked at an airport for a very very short time the boss hated my supra. He had a lotus elise, and looked a right tool getting in and out of it, I probably didnt help matters by asking the whole

Lots Of Trouble, Usually Serious, question and then pointing out the failures of the rover block.

Guy was a tool anyway.

Younger CHECK

Better Looking CHECK

Car Spec/Number Of Cars CHECK lol

Take home pay nope :(

Size Of House/number of properties of course not :p

Attractiveness of wife girlfriend yup :D

Spec of boat, plane, number of each wtf? nope

Size of penis, length & girth well ... CHECK (don't ask me how i know)

Number of Holidays abroad I don't take any holidays abroad often so nope :p

etc.

If I were your boss and you were beating me on more than two of the above, I would fire you..!! OH NOES!

H.

rofl :D

Well the main reason I've raised this topic is purely because it is impossible for me to ask this around the office and asking the missus doesn't help (she wants me to sell my car and get an Aygo) so best place of course is the MKIV OT forum!

I sincerely hope he doesn't mind and so far he seems cool about it although I've heard from another boss "joking" about when will I get my Fezza...

Thanks for all the honest input though guys ;)

It really shouldn't matter. If a boss gets upset over such things, it's not a good indication of his/her management skills.

An intelligent boss should realise that the car in the car park is only part of the equation. Maybe the guy with the banger in the car park has a £50,000 stereo at home, or a tiny mortgage on a nice house, or has significant savings in the bank. The reverse is obviously true as Jamie said: the guy with the nice car might be saddled with a mini-mortgage of car finance.

Aye that's what I hope my boss thinks but some jealous chaps around the office been spreading rumours which made me a little bit worried :p

Depends on the boss.

When i worked at an airport for a very very short time the boss hated my supra. He had a lotus elise, and looked a right tool getting in and out of it, I probably didnt help matters by asking the whole

Lots Of Trouble, Usually Serious, question and then pointing out the failures of the rover block.

Guy was a tool anyway.

A bit OT but I've also been drooling over Elises and TVRs of late. Really pretty and raw cars in their own right but I don't think they will make ideal daily commuters :D

I didn't realise this could ever be an issue. Probably helps working for a large company and being the lowest of the low :D

yeah but I reckon a red UK spec Sup like yours should attract some attention? :D I've shown pics of my old Gunmetal N/A before and some people think its some sort of new(ish) sports car!

yeah but I reckon a red UK spec Sup like yours should attract some attention? :D I've shown pics of my old Gunmetal N/A before and some people think its some sort of new(ish) sports car!

Most people that have asked think it cost an obscene amount for an old car. A few guys that know it's worth it love it :D

My boss drives a hyundi coupe and i always seem to find that he parks next to my sup :D Hes a car guy but by no means obsessed like me so he doesnt seem to bothered and always comments on how good it looks.

IMO if ur boss knows that if you are a car person then they wouldn't be that bothered, but if they thought/knew that you werent into your cars then they may get peed-off if you had a flashier car becaused you would just be showing off