The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Would you report a drink driver?

Swampy442

Yes, and have done so. I was sitting at work when I noticed a guy staggering across the car park with a carrier bag of cans. It was around 11.00 "bit early to be in that state" I thought, but then he got into a car and sat there for a bit, but as soon as he started it, I was on the phone to the police. Gave them full details and the direction he drove off in but never heard anything more.

I presume if no one spotted him on the road, they could be waiting at his home for him to arrive.

What about your mate you mentioned in another thread not long ago ?

It's different being a friend to a stranger. I really hope he gets caught, but others have now told him it's irresponsible so hopefully he'll listen.

I've not seen him do it since I said, but then again, I've not been out with him much since.

i reported this idiot to the police a few weeks back i was on the motorway going home following this guy for about 20mins. He was all over the road swaying left to right managed to get beside him at one point and he was leaning down in the passanger seat i hope the police caught him as nearly lost control a few times.

Glad you called the cops Swampy but it's then in their hands. We hade an incident earlier on in the year where a white beemer was all over the place and doing about 25 in a 60 limit. I rang the Police and followed this car for about 4 miles. In the end we gave up following as after two calls to the fuzz I felt that they weren't interested.

Funny, though. I think I got done for 35 in a 30 yesterday. Good to know these guys have got their priorities right..!!

H.

It's different being a friend to a stranger. I really hope he gets caught, but others have now told him it's irresponsible so hopefully he'll listen.

I've not seen him do it since I said, but then again, I've not been out with him much since.

I dont see the differance, a drink driver is a drink driver whether you know them or not and is

just as dangerous as one you don't know !

Seems there is a moral dilema here and i wonder how many others will only report someone they dont know ?

Tough decision I guess. if it was one of my friends they would get seriously bollocked by us lot. Then again I would hope non of my friends are that stupid.

I make point of not drinking anything if im driving. And wont drive at all the day following a heavy session. Just not worth it.

Totally. The OP didn't even need to ask us. It's just the moral thing to do.

You shouldn't let anyone get away with it, even friends. How would you feel if that friend went on to kill someone, and you could've prevented it, or at least made them stop what they were doing?

I think that's a key thing.

I think it depends on a lot of things whether the Police would actually do anything though, such as the person you speak to, the person they then speak to at the local station (if you used 999), how busy/bored those officers happen to be, the way you describe what you saw and whether or not it's actually guaranteed that you saw them drink driving.

I'm guessing in most cases they won't do anything about it. You could see someone with a twisted ankle limping to a car and mistake it, you could see someone swigging a drink that isn't actually over the limit (although that's still not good just before driving!), there are loads of things that could be seen but when the Police are waiting at their house for 1/2 hour and he turns up completely sober, it's a huge waste of time. And that's if they don't have loads of other stuff going on, or you happen to get the guy on the desk who really can't be bothered with the paperwork so doesn't even check the reg address etc.

Having said all that, I still would, just so I know I've done all I can in the chain, if it stops with me at the first hurdle then it's not helping any of the victims that result.