The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Which curry?

tbourner

"Curry" must be the best marketing strategy used on Europeans in the last 20 years. It's a means of disguising poor or near rotten meat, much like salting was a crude means of drying meat in attempt t preserve it. It hides a multitude of sins and surely only we Brits have taken to it in such an unthinking and uncaring way? The local foreign restaurant where I used to live was fined for selling curried pet food (tinned dog meat, thank God, at least it was heat cycled and vacuum packed...). The prosecution was well publicised and the restaurant closed for a few weeks while `elf `n' safety did their thing. They also found cockroach infestations, rodent infestations, and other niceties. When it re-opened with the same motley crew of indeterminate origin in charge people continued to eat there seemingly without a care in the world. Only in Britain... Give me something recognisable as to its origin, with its original taste unsullied by these terrible substances.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"Curry" must be the best marketing strategy used on Europeans in the last 20 years. It's a means of disguising poor or near rotten meat, much like salting was a crude means of drying meat in attempt t preserve it. It hides a multitude of sins and surely only we Brits have taken to it in such an unthinking and uncaring way? The local foreign restaurant where I used to live was fined for selling curried pet food (tinned dog meat, thank God, at least it was heat cycled and vacuum packed...). The prosecution was well publicised and the restaurant closed for a few weeks while `elf `n' safety did their thing. They also found cockroach infestations, rodent infestations, and other niceties. When it re-opened with the same motley crew of indeterminate origin in charge people continued to eat there seemingly without a care in the world. Only in Britain... Give me something recognisable as to its origin, with its original taste unsullied by these terrible substances.

Chinese? :p

To me, a lot of curry's taste different restaurant to restaurant.

Madras (the proper stuff) is a winner. Jalfrezi is great too.

If I feel something a bit lighter, Passanda, Pathia, and from time to time, a good tikka when I feel mild. I would never eat Korma as it seems pointless for a curry.

• 2 weeks later...

We're going tomorrow.

Thinking I might go for a Lamb Bhuna with Pilau Rice and a Peshwari Naan. That's completely different to what I normally have, hopefully not too hot for me.

Otherwise I'll wuss out and go for that Chicken Malaya thing they have, which I can't find any info on anywhere, but it's made with Pineapple which makes it sound gay enough that I might like it.

We're going tomorrow.

Thinking I might go for a Lamb Bhuna with Pilau Rice and a Peshwari Naan. That's completely different to what I normally have, hopefully not too hot for me.

Otherwise I'll wuss out and go for that Chicken Malaya thing they have, which I can't find any info on anywhere, but it's made with Pineapple which makes it sound gay enough that I might like it.

That sounds nice. I don't think you'll die from that choice. Enjoy. :)

We're going tomorrow.

Bhuna's not spicy at all. I've had it in 4 or 5 different places and they're all very tomatoey and mild. Mmm, lovely!

Are they dry though? I'm used to Kormas with lots of baby sick coloured sauce, someone said a Bhuna is mostly meat with a thick sauce covering the pieces, and no real 'juice' to go with it?

All the ones I've had are pretty moist. The sauce isn't thick like a korma or massala, but I get fed up of too much sauce.