The mkiv Supra Owners Club

The mini was fixed !!...until i crashed it through a barn :(

SupraDan24

Oh dear, not having much luck. I think it's very decent of him to share the cost. I always leave manual cars in gear, a legacy of driving old knackers with no, or little handbrake effect. Most Yank, and some Jap manuals will only start with the clutch depressed, maybe you should add a clutch pedal inhibitor switch? ;)

Could have been worse, thought you were going to say compressed paint had changed the colour of the car to a sixties psychedelic look! :)

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh dear, not having much luck. I think it's very decent of him to share the cost. I always leave manual cars in gear, a legacy of driving old knackers with no, or little handbrake effect. Most Yank, and some Jap manuals will only start with the clutch depressed, maybe you should add a clutch pedal inhibitor switch? ;)

Could have been worse, thought you were going to say compressed paint had changed the colour of the car to a sixties psychedelic look! :)

Lol yeah it was pretty decent of him to suggest it straight off the bat, but tbf i wasn't going to be walking out of there without any less as all i had done was turn the key. It's just one of those unfortunate circumstances where you either agree to disagree and get on with fixing it, or argue your points until your both blue in the face and hate each other. I've just paid him £400 for the work he has already done, so i didnt fancy another substantial bill for something that i didnt see as my fault, so i was relieved once we'd discussed it and he agreed to not charge me labour. I have to go through all the finer details with him on thursday and find out exactly what he is willing to waver cost wise, i'm happy enough to pay any material costs so he isnt out of pocket so to speak. With any luck (something i'm serverley lacking) it should come back to me better than when it arrived so here's hoping i guess. He was also nice enough to rewire the electric fan into the switch i had free of charge, as it was annoying him that it was wired into the ignition. It was doing my head in as well, hence the switch lol. I'm going to take some photos :p

I always leave cars in gear unless I'm messing with them. I'd also say you're lucky that he agreed to take some of the blame as I'd have thought it'd be up to you to check it's not in gear before starting it.

Unlucky with what happened though :(

I always leave cars in gear unless I'm messing with them. I'd also say you're lucky that he agreed to take some of the blame as I'd have thought it'd be up to you to check it's not in gear before starting it.

Maybe i'm just too close to the whole thing but, especially at the time, didnt believe it was my fault. I literally slipped into the driver seat and turned the key like he asked me too. It didnt even occur to me that he would leave it right up against a wall in gear, especially not with at least putting the handbrake on. All i did was turn the key at the end of the day. I suppose you could argue that it was the turning of the key that did the damage, which i totally agree with. I wouldnt have been happy if he would have just said, sorry its your fault, your problem though to be perfectly honest, as it was the the circumstances in there entirety that led to the damage imo, not just the turn of a key. I'm glad it is going to be sorted though and that he was good about it, just hope it doesnt end up costing me too much, i've just bought 4 new tyres for the Supra and paid a £400 bill for the mini lol.

i hate it when people leave a car in gear, unless your on a hill in an old car with a dodgy handbrake theres no need. My dad does it all the time and about three times ive nearly ended up in the back of his mondeo in my little fiesta run about. So now I make sure i turn the key with my foot on the clutch, old man proof

Sorry to hear of your troubles with this one, I had a similar problem with mine not so long ago. I went through everything including stripping everything down and re-timing in the cam, replacing all the ignition, sorting through wiring and fuelling. But it turned out the needle was 10 thou too small for the jet (obviously :rolleyes: ) which through everything out

The panel doesn't look too bad really should push out with a port-a-power and a quick weld over the joint.

Nice scuttle panel, Looks like a twin of mine :)

Sorry to hear this dude, glad to hear you are getting it sorted though.

I always start the car with the clutch pressed down, I thought that helps the clutch? Or did I just make that up?

You should have brought a Honda and be done with it! :p

x2! I'm the same, always leave a car in gear.

You're very lucky that he's agreed to split costs with you.

It isn't? I have been doing for so long on all the cars I have driven, I have forgot why!?!

So you don't crash into barns! :) j/k

It can put a side loading on the crank/thrust washers when you dis-engage the clutch.

Alot of cars have clutch switches which must be switched to let you start the engine, and alot of people do away with the switch for this very reason.

Lol thanks Greeny :p I don't agree with you though, i think i'm quite right to expect the cost to be split. If i parked the car there in gear with the handbrake off, chucked him the keys and told him to start the car so i could listen to it idle do you think it would be reasonable for him to pay the whole cost just because it was him who turned the key?

The most wear that an engine will incur will be startup, as all the tolerances are at their smallest, and the oil has drained back to the sump. pushing the clutch down puts pressure on the thrust washers in the engine, so will wear these faster. If they get to the point where they are excessively worn, they can fall out, leading to the dreaded 'crank walk'. The reason it's more common on autos is because the crank is always getting thrusted by the gearbox/torque convertor when your holding it in drive with your foot on the brake. Hope this helps!

Lol thanks Greeny :p I don't agree with you though, i think i'm quite right to expect the cost to be split. If i parked the car there in gear with the handbrake off, chucked him the keys and told him to start the car so i could listen to it idle do you think it would be reasonable for him to pay the whole cost just because it was him who turned the key?

IMO, yes :)

If i took someones keys and started their car whilst in gear and caused damage, i would feel obliged to put it fully right for them, just as i'd feel i only had myself to blame if i'd of done it.

I feel it's the person who's behind the wheel who should check to see if its in gear first.

Just my opinion chap :thumbs:

• 3 weeks later...

I've just been to re-pick my car up after last months debacle. The guy was nice enough to inform me that the bill is now £280 and not £150 he initially quoted me due to, and i quote, "the bubbling in the paint went right down to the metal, so i had to take the wings right back down to the metal before i sprayed them". Obviously my reply was along the lines of "why would you not take it down to bare metal in the first place!!" but thats an argument for another time. I payed the money and left. I drove home and the car ran very well, was a lovely drive home in the rain, it wasn't until i pulled into my courtyard area where i have to do a sharp left to pull into my space. As i did there was an ungodly noise from my driverside front wheel, it literally sounded like my wheel was being torn away from the body and i was only doing about 5mph. The wheels is rubbing HEAVILY on something, but that is a mystery for another day as its thoroughly miserable outside, and i'm even more so. I'll jack it up tomorrow if its a nice day and have a look what its rubbing on, i just hope i didnt do any damage as the noise that came from the wheel was incredibly loud, loud enough for me to hear it over me bellowing out "Rocket Man" along to the radio.

Edit: MOT is due this month as well, that should be fun, i'm already down £700 in repair bills :(