The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Jeremy Clarkson's comments on the One Show

Gaz6002

Some good posts here.

I agree that we shouldn't make it a race to the bottom. If all employment packages are based on the lowest common denominator where the employees get given some money each month and told to sort themselves out, then we'll all be in for a more miserable working life.

Once it was unheard of for companies to run pension schemes that the employer doesn't pay into. Now these are more and more common (I think employers above a certain size are obliged to provide a pension to employees, but it doesn't mean they have to chip in). As they creep into the private sector, will the next pensions debate in x years' time be about whether public sector workers get a pension that the government pays into at all?

The term "non-contributory pension" means a pension that the employee doesn't pay into. These are the creme-de-la-creme. I can see that term being re-interpreted in later years to mean one that the employer doesn't pay into. :(

As for the complaints about Clarkson to the broadcasting regulator, I imagine the majority of those are from people who didn't even see the programme. They heard about it down the pub or on Mytwitface, and "decided" it would be a good idea to be "offended". Pathetic.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Some good posts here.

I agree that we shouldn't make it a race to the bottom. If all employment packages are based on the lowest common denominator where the employees get given some money each month and told to sort themselves out, then we'll all be in for a more miserable working life.

Once it was unheard of for companies to run pension schemes that the employer doesn't pay into. Now these are more and more common (I think employers above a certain size are obliged to provide a pension to employees, but it doesn't mean they have to chip in). As they creep into the private sector, will the next pensions debate in x years' time be about whether public sector workers get a pension that the government pays into at all?

The term "non-contributory pension" means a pension that the employee doesn't pay into. These are the creme-de-la-creme. I can see that term being re-interpreted in later years to mean one that the employer doesn't pay into. :(

As for the complaints about Clarkson to the broadcasting regulator, I imagine the majority of those are from people who didn't even see the programme. They heard about it down the pub or on Mytwitface, and "decided" it would be a good idea to be "offended". Pathetic.

Good post :thumbs:

I don't think the private sector get £245k pension & these are the people bringing in the economy.

That would've sounded better if 73% of private sector business wasn't in the service sector, instead of manufacturing. ;)

Looks like that imaginary teacher is expected to live till they are 84 1/2 if they're a woman - not an unachievable feat these days!

Less than 200 people apparently complained to the BBC about Clarkson's comments after the program.

Since then people have heard about it on the radio, watched it on the news, read about it in the papers and the complaints have risen to over 21,000.

Mindless Clarkson hating sheep every one IMO.

Yours,

Outraged of Dorset

Less than 200 people apparently complained to the BBC about Clarkson's comments after the program.

Since then people have heard about it on the radio, watched it on the news, read about it in the papers and the complaints have risen to over 21,000.

Mindless Clarkson hating sheep every one IMO.

Yours,

Outraged of Dorset

Also I've heard that the Unions involved decided to e-mail their members encouraging them to complain, bottom line is they are gutted the strike didn't have the impact they had hoped for and Clarkson taking the p**s rattled their cage.

Also I've heard that the Unions involved decided to e-mail their members encouraging them to complain, bottom line is they are gutted the strike didn't have the impact they had hoped for and Clarkson taking the p**s rattled their cage.

Well I'm a member of Unison and haven't had such an e-mail, so I've e-mailed an official I know in Unison, who says that story is total rubbish! Perhaps you want to provide proof of this rumour? :search:

Unison's press releases here: http://www.unison.org.uk/asppresspack/pressrelease.asp

Well I'm a member of Unison and haven't had such an e-mail, so I've e-mailed an official I know in Unison, who says that story is total rubbish! Perhaps you want to provide proof of this rumour? :search:

Unison's press releases here: http://www.unison.org.uk/asppresspack/pressrelease.asp

A bloke at work told me, I'll dig out his mobile number some time and your Union guy can give him a ring and try and track down the original source :)

Unison seem really upset, they want to send him to jail for telling a joke! :blink:

“Clarkson’s comments on the One Show were totally outrageous, and they cannot be tolerated. We are seeking urgent legal advice about what further action we can take against him and the BBC, and whether or not his comments should be referred to the police."

Unison seem really upset, they want to send him to jail for telling a joke! :blink:

“Clarkson’s comments on the One Show were totally outrageous, and they cannot be tolerated. We are seeking urgent legal advice about what further action we can take against him and the BBC, and whether or not his comments should be referred to the police."

A ridiculous over-reaction indeed, Unison and other union leaders ought to have known better.

:lol:

Do they really have nothing more important to worry about right now?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]142493[/ATTACH]

A ridiculous over-reaction indeed, Unison and other union leaders ought to have known better.

It was a chance for attention seekers to get on telly and in the press. Being sensible and rational didn't feature in it. Shame that in doing this, they undermine the people they are supposed to represent by chasing after personal gain. Sounds almost like the government :D

I always watch the One Show and watched the whole interview with him. If people actually watched the whole show it was totally clear he was having a laugh. He had made as silly comments about a whole host of other subjects that were on the show. In this instance it was clear that those complaining have taken the comments in isolation to the rest of the comments he made, or are simply complaining without watching the show. Clarkson even said the same thing when people tried to question him in the airport.

I personally thought Clarkson came accross well on the show. He was funny, played up to his Top Gear image (which the show was trying to push) and made some very funny comments. Having seen it all, I am not even sure he agrees with the comments he made, I actually got the impression he didn't really care but when put on the spot he just took a jokey route. It just seems a lot of people have had labotomies around here.

Good post - obviously watching the show, listening to the comments in context does made a bit of a difference as compared to the others who have been suckered into the media hype (as usual).

for the record - don't agree with the strikes, country has enough problems as it is for these people to be adding to the problem.

Then you must prepare to bend over and take what's coming ...

that sounds like a threat, i wonder whether that is synonymous of their attitude too.

as for me personally bending over - I would say the 50% tax that I pay is more than enough to support the many parasites that we have. if I had the choice rest assured I would pull the plug.

about time the country gets tough - no one should be exempt.