The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Stand-out supra moments in your life.

SupraStar 3000

I was just wondering have you guys any memorable Supra moments that stand-out and make you smile when thinking back.

For example, mine would be:

going to goodwood festival of speed and seeing the legendary JGTC Tom's Supra do the hill climb and then standing beside the car after being recognised as a enthusiast as I had our club polo shirt on.

Shame I couldn't speak japanese.

Also, a few years back, I vividly remember this one incident.

Travailing back from holiday, down the M1 at 3am in the morning with my g/f fast asleep in the passenger seat and i, struggling to stay awake.

Being mesmerized by the street lights gliding by,... then suddenly woken by the popping and snorting sounds of a gorgeous white supra as it went screaming by, flames lighting the night sky glistering of the wet motorway tarmac! A sound and sight that makes the hair standup on your arms and send goose pimples down your back! It was that moment I knew i was hooked on the Supra.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember picking up this young streetwalker, she must have been 14 at most. I was doing her up against the rear spoiler, from behind and then I started to strangle her. I felt so powerful and alive as I took her life from her, as if her very essence was passing into me as I passed mine into her. That feeling will live with me for ever.

Do you mean that sort of thing, or just driving stories?

I remember picking up this young streetwalker, she must have been 14 at most. I was doing her up against the rear spoiler, from behind and then I started to strangle her. I felt so powerful and alive as I took her life from her, as if her very essence was passing into me as I passed mine into her. That feeling will live with me for ever.

must have taken the edge off when you realised you were never going to get her in the boot...........

Actually, back in the real world, I remember buying some sheets of MDF from B&Q just before closing time and the staff were watching me open the supra and giggling, but they were gobsmacked when it all fitted inside.

That's how rock and roll I get these days.

I had the same sort of story from B&Q i had just moved into my new flat, and went to B&Q to buy a cheap wardrobe and chest of draws (flatpack obviously) and i had a bit of an audience in the car park trying to get it in! well i did! and they couldnt belive it

but then it continued, i got home and started putting it together and was struggling a little, so i bit the bullet and finally looked at the instructions....(as we all do) while putting the wardrobe together, i couldnt find the doors for it.....looked at the instructions again and it said 'remove doors from box 2 of 2'

guess where box 2 of 2 was.....

Yep still in the parking area lend up against another car!

felt like a total TW&T!

Hi again Ed!

The blue Bomex I had when I came up to buy your cats always attracted a lot of attention and coming back from London up the M1 after a Jean-Michel Jarre concert at the O2 with a workmate last year, some guy in a BMW decided to challenge me to a race or three. It's 'only' an NA but it did go well, so I had a bit of fun dropping it into 2nd gear at 70 or whatever every now and then and redlining it. That engine was unbelievably smooth at high rev's and it made a glorious howl.

Actually on a love of my supra note, when i got my aerotop i loved to drive it everywhere with the roof off (of Course) and taking peeps for rides out in it.

however when i put my foot down....

My Mum: Totally hates it

My Wife: Grips the 'jesus christ' handle till her nuckles turn white and really hates it!

My Dad: keeps shouting SLOW DOWN SLOW DOWN!

MY 86 year old nan, who needs a zimmerframe to get about: F**king Loves it! and keeps shouting FASTER FASTER FASTER!!!!!

seeing the smile on her face as my 86yr old nan gets an adreniline rush from my supra...amazing!!

i guest they just dont make them like they used to!

The 4 days a few summers ago i spent in the front garden working on my supra with colin where a real laugh. Just when we thought it was done the DHL dropped off the side skirts.

The looks from my Nephews school mates faces when i turned up with the castrol stickers all over it "look at the race car"

Meeting the french lad in tescos car park to sell my uk spec and seeing it drive off to france.

Going out in Gaz1s old single................now that was speed

The day I bought the car I was driving up a single lane carriageway. Got stuck behind a big artic so bided my time to overtake. The road opened up nicely and there was a long stretch of empty road right in front of me. Into 3rd at 60 and floored it turning out. I turned the steering wheel to straighten up and the back end wiggled loose. I overtook the artic doing 80mph at a 20 degree angle while holding on for dear life. Once I was past the artic I eased off the throttle and the grip came back with a little twitch. I had the biggest grin on my face and the worst stain on my boxers. It was amazing.

A week or so after owning the car I was driving home from work. I got down to the raith interchange at the bottom of East Kilbride (locals will know where I mean) and was heading for the M74 on-ramp. A couple of cars in front is a black Evo 8. It's popping and banging like nobodys business. The lights go green and he lights up the road on his way up the on-ramp (driving like an absolute idiot). I pull briskly, but there are cars around so I'm not going nuts. Onto the on-ramp and it's 2 lanes so I pull into the "fast" lane. I pull past all the cars and get close to said Evo. He was held up slightly on the on-ramp so now I am behind him, a bit of a distance away but he has definitely seen me as he is wiggling around trying to break free from the pack. Due to the traffic we both get onto the motorway at the same time, we both pull into the same gap on the middle lane and we both floor it at the same time. His exhaust sounds like demons from hell being let loose, there are flames popping out of it on the overrun as he changes gear (seems like he does this far too much, but I remember the Evo gearbox all too well). My car quietly growls as the 2nd turbo comes on and I start reeling him in like he is standing still. I pull into the fast lane to overtake him just as I am changing into 4th. The 2nd turbo kicks in in 4th gear and I shoot past him without any shouting or noisy popping.... it was effortless. After making my point I pull in and cruise down to normal speeds. He isn't having any of it and the "If I pass you I win" mode seems to have been engaged. The motorway changes to 2 lanes and gets a little busier but he drives in and out, undertaking/overtaking all over the place. I don't even trundle over 70 on the dial as he screams away like a maniac. We both take the same junction off of the motorway and after all this he is 3 cars in front. He pulls out at the same time as another car and frantically overtakes it screaming his way into the distance. The Evo was reportedly running a full tubular manifold, upgraded turbo, drainpipe exhaust etc etc and pushing around 350hp. I know the car and I know the family, just before the black one the same guy had a white one and put it on its roof.

Few months ago I was selling a friends car. I was getting everything tip top for him, servicing, boot install, fitting of bits etc etc. I had the car in work with me, while I was doing overtime, to fix up some bits and bobs if I found the time. I had to make a trip to the local B&Q so I headed off down the crappy farm road in the Sup. The end of the road is a junction onto a dual carriageway. It's one of those roads where you need to give it a bit of beans once you are on the road as you are virtually starting from zero while the other cars are driving up to and around 70mph. I pulled out of the junction and put the foot down a little, the engine note changed but nothing happened (bloody auto). I put the foot down a little more, again the engine note changed but nothing happened. I did this a few times, each time moving my foot further and further to the floor. Each time next to nothing happened. Of course this was all in a matter of a second or 2 but there were cars catching up fast and I'm currently moving at around 30mph. Soooooooo, I floor it. The thing kicked down and was off like a rocket, that is until the 2nd turbo came in and the stunning Avon tyres let loose like they weren't even there. Out came the back end. I catch it and hold it, holding my breath at the same time. This goes on for what feels like forever, I've eased off the throttle a little but I haven't driven this way with an auto before so I wasn't sure what to expect or even what to do. After what feels like an eternity the TC kicks in and grip is restored. While I catch my breath and regain some colour to my face some chav in a saxo roars up beside me with the shaven head passenger giving me the big thumbs up with a massive cheesy grin on his face. I just nodded and smiled, as if to say "that's how I roll", while pootling off at 60mph.

There are also the obvious moments like when I finished my ICE install, when I replaced the steering wheel, When I fitted the ARC induction kit, when I drove the car for the first time after its re-spray etc etc etc.

My ownership has been very short, just 10 months so there are not too many moments that really stand out..

One of the best so far is the 1st day the car boosted over 1bar.. That was the time that I really realised how fast the can be, I was struggling to slow the car down...The accelaration was awesome..

I did loose the back end in the rain one day, that will stick in my mind for sure..

The best moment I recall, was on my home from work, just happened to line up at one of the major intersections in Toyota City, right next to a black R33 GTR, Black RX7 and me in the black Supra.. All the cars had big wheels and loud exhausts, I remember thinking, "Its on like Donkey Kong".... The light turned green and I waited for the other two, who just cruised off in 1st gear, I was the only one revving the nuts off my car..

Then I realised I was in Japan, if that was South Africa it would have been an epic race...

i have a load but the most remorable was when i was racing a bike down to a round about on a dual carrage way going way too fast for ther round about and was hard on the brakes the back end started steping out the wrong way then gripped and sent me drifting round the round about the right way the whole way around, must of looked like a pro but wow! you know that point when you know the crash is happening what ever you do it was like that but managed not touch a thing,

In my time of ownership I have had a few memorable times the first has to be the day I bought it of it, First of was simply starting the thing i couldnt get over the Roar she made when I started it.

Second was getting to take it out just me and my dad, we drove on to the motorway and I dropped it to 3rd and put my foot down then up to 4th and she just pulled like a train, I only stopped when my dad said "ok thats 90" I will never forget that feeling, granted its only an NA but going form a 22year old 1.4 renault it felt like a bullet.

Another day that stands out has to be after about a week of ownership I was on my way to work, stuck behind two cars on one of my local roads and I decided i could over take them so did the same as i used to do in my 1.4 and drop it to 3rd and plant the loud peddle i surge of power was epic and the smile on my face didnt go away for a long time.

Mine might get frowned upon but hey I'm usually a safe driver!!

Driving out in Wales in my old NA on a single carriageway, sat in a traffic jam doing about 25 ( limit was 60 ) road bends and then straightens out for a good distance. Had a quick look what the hold up was to see a tractor up front followed by a bus then a truck and around 12 cars, dropped into second booted it then 3rd to the limiter and I'd passed the lot, probably the time I fell in love with the supe :D

The day I changed from the stock exhaust to the Nur Spec R. Going out driving and using about half a tank of fuel just cruising about all day. Then when I fitted the 2nd decat pipe, having the burbling noise every time I let off.

Also, the day I picked it up and the first time I put my foot down on the dual carriageway making the girlfriend scream :D

I used to constantly think of driving a supra when I bombed around in my focus. The day I got it, I didn't know what to think about while driving it home (apart from driving the car and watching where I was going), as I always thought of what it would be like and handle like. When the moment came, my mind was blank! Was very weird.. a very important moment in the purchase :)