The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Toyota GT-86(FT-86) beatiful concept to ugly production

DodgyRog

I think that base model will sell well with those wanting to put higher powered engines in there and bodykits from the start.

It will, but the idea is that its a purer driving experience. I'd be looking at ways of remove more weight instead of adding it, though a cheeky supercharger would be good.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...
I hope they give it a strong box, always seems to be the limiting factor with cars that people play with a lot, the box needs swapping out for something beefier. They'll more than likely stick that 6 speed from the is200 in it and the s15 guys seem to break them quite a lot.

The car has been built to be modified - the chief designer told me that last week :)

Worth the premium over an MX5?

All day long. It's a huge step up. Incredibly, even the gear shift (one of the MX-5s best points) is better. The chassis is just so rewarding to drive. As standard it comes with Prius tyres, and is SO much better because of that.

I was also surprised how good the automatic 'box is. Although only a 'normal' torque convertor rather than twin clutch, it's the fastest of its type available. It also blips the throttle on down-shifts, and that never fails to make me smile.

I like the idea of that, means they've probably already made it easy to turbocharge it and/or left the ecu 'crackable'

Personally, I'd rather it was supercharged. A turbo would take some of the fun out of it. The designer's response to the suggestion of forced induction was funny though... he wanted a pure sports car so the only way forward was NA. He reacted the same way when someone asked if they were considering a diesel engine :D

Personally, I'd rather it was supercharged. A turbo would take some of the fun out of it. The designer's response to the suggestion of forced induction was funny though... he wanted a pure sports car so the only way forward was NA. He reacted the same way when someone asked if they were considering a diesel engine :D

I suppose this is true, my s4 is an na 4.2 v8 and although its slower than my supra i never get over the throttle response and the way the close ratio box has the revs climbing hella quick. Just can't see a 2.0 being enough for me though. The obvious answer is an s4 v8 in an ft-86 lol.

Trd made a supercharger for the camry v6 so i'm certain they will make something similar for this and allow the throttle response to stay but with added midrange, or atleast I hope so, I have a test drive arranged when Struans toyota get one in up here.

I suppose this is true, my s4 is an na 4.2 v8 and although its slower than my supra i never get over the throttle response and the way the close ratio box has the revs climbing hella quick. Just can't see a 2.0 being enough for me though. The obvious answer is an s4 v8 in an ft-86 lol.

Trd made a supercharger for the camry v6 so i'm certain they will make something similar for this and allow the throttle response to stay but with added midrange, or atleast I hope so, I have a test drive arranged when Struans toyota get one in up here.

I did a lot of miles in one last week on road and track. I think you'll be surprised how much you like it. I was.

Interestingly, the TRD bits available from Toyota dealerships will mean you can keep your Toyota warranty... that'll be a big deal for early buyers.

The V8 you mention wouldn't do it for me. The beauty of the chassis is in the low driving position coupled with the low placement of the boxer engine, meaning a very low centre of gravity. You simply can't have that with a V8.

After looking at this car again, starting to change my mind about it, in terms of styling but after its been turbo charged or super charged it still slower than a BPU supra plus stock BHP ain't that impressive unless you spend a bit of money on it.

Sounds like another money pit :(

After its been turbo charged or super charged it still slower than a BPU supra plus stock BHP ain't that impressive unless you spend a bit of money on it.

It's not all about power though, small nippy cars are often more fun than big power bruisers. The Supra's a GT car built for motorways and in gear acceleration, the GT86 is a little track weapon like a go-kart, perfect for late night hoons around mini-roundabouts :D

The V8 you mention wouldn't do it for me. The beauty of the chassis is in the low driving position coupled with the low placement of the boxer engine, meaning a very low centre of gravity. You simply can't have that with a V8.

The boxer engine is one of the main reasons I'm adamant I want a test drive, I have reserved judgement untill then as I always like revvy honda motors but I'm unsure how revvy a boxer 4 is going to be by comparison. I suppose in this application trying to keep in on the boil is going to be half the fun but I don't want it to feel like i'm wringing its neck to get it going, rather I'm trying to keep it in its sweet spot. Proof is in the pudding though, luckily you've managed to get a shot before the rest of us!

The boxer engine is one of the main reasons I'm adamant I want a test drive, I have reserved judgement untill then as I always like revvy honda motors but I'm unsure how revvy a boxer 4 is going to be by comparison. I suppose in this application trying to keep in on the boil is going to be half the fun but I don't want it to feel like i'm wringing its neck to get it going, rather I'm trying to keep it in its sweet spot. Proof is in the pudding though, luckily you've managed to get a shot before the rest of us!

For my money the boxer is a nice little engine in this application. Peak torque is between 6,400-6,600rpm so you do have to give it a bit of a kicking, but there's a nice useable powerband. It sounds good too. There's a resonator in the exhaust system. It doesn't sound as 'lumpy' as an Impreza turbo, it's a more refined experience.