The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Toyota GT-86(FT-86) beatiful concept to ugly production

DodgyRog

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Put my name on the list for an early test drive with my dealer, date TBC but its on the 'List'.

Found out some interesting things, the flappy paddle autobox is based on the same box that comes in the IS-F and apparently these car's are going to be hand built with around 1000 units per year.

Very excited for this car :)

Edit: The talk of this car being limited numbers and being hand made has now been debunked. The confusion came when a rather excited head of advertising for a some other company was mixed up with the head of advertising for Toyota. A Toyota PR has now confirmed it will be mass produced on a normal production line.

So lets do a comparison.

Here is the 86 and the BRZ

And here is the FR-S

As you can see only subtle differences between them.

Onto interiors.

86 and BRZ

And finally the FR-S

All rounder IMO goes to the 86 but obviously not in that horrible orange.

I fear I may be slightly changing my opinion already. I know this is a concept FT thats been modified, but I suppose it wouldnt be a massive amount of work to do this to the prodution model.

For what its worth, in white with similar wheels, its a cracking looking car.

attachment.php?attachmentid=142418&stc=1&d=1322764185

OK, latest rumours/info about the car:

• It won't be auto only, it'll have a manual 'box with auto as an option
  • Toyota is working on a supercharger which should provide around 100bhp extra :blink:
  • A colleague I spoke to last night who is in Japan and drove it this week said it's the best balanced car he's driven in years. That really is high praise.

I'm sure it will be a fantastic drive, and I can even understand the looks may have needed to change for practical reasons.

I can't understand why it's so expensive! The development costs were shared, they've used existing technologies and it's not well spec'd. It's not much cheaper than a 370z, and that's much faster, much better spec'd and developed 'in house' by Nissan.

I suspect it will be somewhat cheaper in Japan and the US, and once again we'll get shafted!

I can't understand why it's so expensive! The development costs were shared, they've used existing technologies and it's not well spec'd. It's not much cheaper than a 370z, and that's much faster, much better spec'd and developed 'in house' by Nissan.

It also weighs significantly more, has a more dated suspension setup and isn't built half as well.