The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Toyota GT-86(FT-86) beatiful concept to ugly production

DodgyRog

Such a shame aswell, it had all the makings of a fun, decent looking car, something I feel Toyota hasn't offered for a long long time.

So basically because you don't like the look of it you don't think it will be a fun car and the whole concept is ruined?

For anyone who dislikes the back lights I've found a cure for them.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So basically because you don't like the look of it you don't think it will be a fun car and the whole concept is ruined?

For anyone who dislikes the back lights I've found a cure for them.

http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g381/OwenK/ProductionGT86-1.jpg

That's just my personal opinion. Even if it was as good to drive as the Supra, I still would never be happy with the car if I wasn't happy with how it looked. But each to their own.

I agree the H-Coupe looks good, but the reason I don't understand the comments is cos it looks nothing like it!! the Toy looks much more muscular than the Hyundai (look at bonnet pointing down more at the front, like an eagles nose, arch bulges, roof is more defined), more modern (front) lights, better grill, nicer sidelines to the rear arches. Basically I don't see the negatives other than it doesn't look exactly like the concept (which looked awesome), why would you expect it to look like the concept?

I think it comes from the fact that there's a barried up Coupe driving around Eastbourne, and it sits so high, that I just can't bring myself to imagining it looking any good at all.

I know the Coupe is a good car, but I would've liked to have thought that Toyota would've had more imagination, and not resorted to the shared parts bin for production.

I was of the impression Subaru are actually building both versions? It looks cheap and nasty to me, but to be fair it's hard to tell from photo shots. I suspect the new Honda will be a better seller.

Honda hasn't confirmed it will build that car yet. It's on a mission to recreate the NSX, but it sounds compromised to me.

Subaru supplied engine tech for the '86 project, with Toyota's D4-D direct injection system. AFAIK the chassis was built by Toyota, although I have Mr T's press release in front of me and it isn't exactly clear.

Will we have three Models? Scion FRS I would buy !!

• Toyota FT86
  • Subaru BRZ
  • Scion FRS (USDM)

Subraru BRZ

http://www.wreckedmagazine.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/2011LAAutoShow.SubaruBRZ-525x295.jpg

Scion FRS

http://homeautodesign.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/Scion-FR-S-Red-Concept-1.jpg

I have to admit I feel a little let down by Toyota. I have been following this car for a while now and after seeing the concept cars and now the production model it does seem like they have taken a backwards step and gone down the safe route.

I have been re-watching the video autocar did with one of the designers and he seems to think that the car in the video is near enough ready for production, minus the bonnet, if you jump to 1min 50 he just about admits it.

Just seems a shame they changed it soo much.

I have to admit I feel a little let down by Toyota. I have been following this car for a while now and after seeing the concept cars and now the production model it does seem like they have taken a backwards step and gone down the safe route.

I have been re-watching the video autocar did with one of the designers and he seems to think that the car in the video is near enough ready for production, minus the bonnet, if you jump to 1min 50 he just about admits it.

Just seems a shame they changed it soo much.

That is the nature of the concept car though. Happens all the time. They're design studies, nothing more.