The mkiv Supra Owners Club

New tri-turbo (1x Eletric 2x Standard) bmw 550d to get 381hp, 516lb ft

Brazil

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pretty nice, but I really prefer the new GS. And there wasn't anything BMW was making in 1993 that could perform on the same level as a stock Supra. But it's pretty amazing how fast time has changed and you can buy saloon cars which have just as much power as supercars from 15-20 years ago.

I went from a Supra TT to a BMW 535d and whilst very different to drive it has to be said the power from the BMW diesel engine is amazing. I am currently looking to get it remapped which takes it from 270bhp and 560nm to around 315bhp and 640nm! Its even supposed to impove the fuel economy as well, double bonus!

I went from a Supra TT to a BMW 535d and whilst very different to drive it has to be said the power from the BMW diesel engine is amazing. I am currently looking to get it remapped which takes it from 270bhp and 560nm to around 315bhp and 640nm! Its even supposed to impove the fuel economy as well, double bonus!

Speak to Simon at eMaps, or Mike at DMS Automotive. I've got a map from each on the X6 and 535d respectively. Power on the 535d from DMS is nearer 335bhp and 560lb/ft. Goes like stink from 30mph to 130mph!

Speak to Simon at eMaps, or Mike at DMS Automotive. I've got a map from each on the X6 and 535d respectively. Power on the 535d from DMS is nearer 335bhp and 560lb/ft. Goes like stink from 30mph to 130mph!

Great thanks. I will do. I had been looking at an Evolution remap which I had been told was very good, but I will do a bit more investigation. Many thanks.

If its Evolution Chips, they are very good. My RS Turbo was remapped and set up by them, can't fault it!

Yes thats them Evolution Chips. Grosvenor BMW Reading do the Evolution remap for around £360 which seems reasonable. But I will take Johnny's advice and look the other two up as well.

When it comes to this sort of thing I want to get it right...... I dont want to be left with a very expensive smouldering lump of metal if all went wrong!

I can understand why twin turbo work (one for lower speed spool one for higher speed) but how does tri turbo work? :p

Good point.

Maybe the 3rd one comes on even higher than the second one giving a high revy engine!

Or even better the 2nd & 3rd come online together like the TTC mode on the Supra.

3 turbos?? That a lot to go wrong. And given the early reliabillity of the early 5 series diesels I see problems ahead. Ive said in the past performance diesel is the future of the road car.

Having driven the Mazda Skyactiv platform with the new 2.2 twin turbodiesel this week I'm inclined to agree. That is probably the best diesel engine I've driven.

Good point.

Maybe the 3rd one comes on even higher than the second one giving a high revy engine!

Or even better the 2nd & 3rd come online together like the TTC mode on the Supra.

Maybe the 3rd tubby is going to be used for high speeds like in motorway driving to make it more economical!

Here is another article released in July 11 with rumors about the new M3 using a tri turbo engine too with 450bhp reason being prediction of increased fuel prices are to build more economical sports cars!

According to UK magazine AutoExpress, the next generation BMW M3 would feature a fresh 3.3 liter six-cylinder tri-turbo engine. The rumormill also churns out that one of the three turbo will be powered by electricity and the powerplant will produce 450 horsepower.

The news were drawn out from a conversation with the new M boss Dr Friedrich Nitschke, but no official statement has been made available. Dr. Nitschke also said the 2014 BMW M3 will feature a mix of steel and ultra-light carbon fiber-reinforced plastic (CFRP) that will alleviate some of the current “weight problems” of M cars.

http://www.bmwblog.com/2011/07/08/rumor-new-bmw-m3-with-tri-turbo-engine-and-450-hp/

Watch your boost gauge when you are on the motorway (and not caning it), you won't be making any boost unless sitting at silly speeds.

You are right Scott, though I only use toll road motorways in Portugal, they are in fantastic condition and there are no speed cameras or police. Therefore my average speed on the motorway is probably around 100 limptons, so it doesn't take a lot of throttle for boost to come in.

I've found this on the net. Looks like 1 turbo is going to be eletric and then 2 standard types.

So how would the three-turbo setup work?

With one electric turbo and a pair of the usual type. Electric forced-induction setups are typically used to supply low levels of boost pressure at idle and very low rpms, because it can be driven independently of engine speed or exhaust flow. While it's not explained in the source article, the most likely use would be to provide a baseline level of boost with minimal parasitic losses, thereby allowing larger primary turbos to be used without the accompanying turbo lag that would otherwise be present.

More Information:

The specifics are somewhat technical, but the system uses an electric motor and a series of clutches to minimize turbo lag. When the driver steps on the accelerator, the electric motor spools up the turbo to optimize performance. Once the electric motor is no longer needed, it acts like an alternator to recharge its battery. More interestingly, when this occurs, the motor prevents the turbo from spinning too fast which eliminates the need for a traditional wastegate.

It remains unclear when BMW will introduce the technology, but rumors have suggested an electric turbo was under consideration for the next-generation M3.

Working in tandem with a larger, conventional turbo, the electric unit use a small electric motor to power its turbine during the transition from idle to load, which BMW says greatly reduces the phenomenon known as turbo lag – the period it takes a conventional turbocharger to spool up. In addition to boosting performance, the electric turbo also increase fuel efficiency as it helps keep the engine in its optimum operating zone.

More Information:

The specifics are somewhat technical, but the system uses an electric motor and a series of clutches to minimize turbo lag. When the driver steps on the accelerator, the electric motor spools up the turbo to optimize performance. Once the electric motor is no longer needed, it acts like an alternator to recharge its battery. More interestingly, when this occurs, the motor prevents the turbo from spinning too fast which eliminates the need for a traditional wastegate.

It remains unclear when BMW will introduce the technology, but rumors have suggested an electric turbo was under consideration for the next-generation M3.

Working in tandem with a larger, conventional turbo, the electric unit use a small electric motor to power its turbine during the transition from idle to load, which BMW says greatly reduces the phenomenon known as turbo lag – the period it takes a conventional turbocharger to spool up. In addition to boosting performance, the electric turbo also increase fuel efficiency as it helps keep the engine in its optimum operating zone.

That sounds like some real clever tech, i really like the electric motor/alternator turbo spooling idea.