The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Single Turbo Intercooler piping - Route 1?

Scott

I'm currently waiting on a cast elbow being delivered so that I can get the cold side of my turbo hooked up to the intercooler. I'm a little unsure of how to go about it though so I have a few questions if the guys who have done this sort of thing would be so kind :D

Is there a recommended maximum angle to route the pipes with?

I know that ideally it would just be straight but this really isn't going to happen. The tubby is a precision 67mm so I had to cut off the end of the compressor housing in order to fit a 90 degree cast elbow (Thinking about cutting it in half to get 45 rather than 90). Should I try to keep the bends under 90? On ebay I saw a u-bend pipe, should I be avoiding these? Looking at it it would probably create the easiest solution but probably not the best.

What is the best way to route the pipes?

Is it better to go up and into the wing where the stock piping goes? Personally I would rather avoid this as it looks a little messy for me but if it's the best route then I might consider it. Looks like it would take a LOT of pipe to go this way. I've also had a look at going past the steering rack/ARB, I think this seems to be the method of choice. If I decided to go down this route is it the norm to go over the ARB? Where do I go from there? Big U-Bend pipe or do I need to cut into the inner wing?

Thanks for any pointers you have :)

I did mine without a 90 on the compressor housing - dropped down past the alternator area and then a big gradual U bend out and back in to the intercooler.

Edit: Should be clear in second pic of this post http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?194439-Dan-s-Supra-Project&p=2522113&viewfull=1#post2522113

Edited by dandan (see edit history)

I did mine without a 90 on the compressor housing - dropped down past the alternator area and then a big gradual U bend out and back in to the intercooler.

Did you not need to chop the compressor housing at all? Was it the H-Cover? I had literally no option unfortunately.

When you came out past the alternator, what did you use to connect to the U-Bend, 90 degree bend? Was it a 180 bend you used from the intercooler or less? That's the way I was thinking of doing it.

H cover Scott - no chopping at all. No doubt my cast manifold altered the alignment compared to your setup, I guess it made this bit easier.

I editted to add a link but if you go back to the start of my project thread you'll see all the pipes being made as that was one of the first jobs I did. There may be some clearer pics there but I can't look as I am on a terrible internet connection. From memory the U bend actually works out to a bit less than 180degrees and it is made in two pieces with a straight join.

Thanks guys, those suggestions and examples are pretty much what I have in mind.

I'm hoping for 180 ubend from the intercooler, 90 degree from the ubend and then straight-ish onto the turbo outlet (which will have a 45 degree cast elbow aiming it at the front of the car). I'm thinking that I might need a 120 degree bend also just to lift over the steering gear but I'll have a better idea when everything is in place.

Fingers crossed :D

I had mine point down with that manifold Scott so you must be able to do it, that was with a H cover.

Lee said he cut the end off and welded on a 45 degree elbow? Said it was impossible to do it any other way with the boostlogic mani? I think he did the same with the other builds he has done recently also.

We run 2.5" ic pipes off the turbo on cars pushing 800bhp with no problems. I can have one made in 3" if needed though.

The outlet of my tubby is 3" and the inlet of the intercooler is 3" so I would rather just keep it the same all the way through.

Would you not need my car to make one though? It isn't going to be the same as different turbo/manifold setups I would have thought?

We run 2.5" ic pipes off the turbo on cars pushing 800bhp with no problems. I can have one made in 3" if needed though.

Sorry to rudely interrupt here guys, but what's the going rate on these 1 piece 3" turbo-i/c pipes Paul??. I'd also be interested in one of these pipes, if you're planning to get some made up??. My current turbo-i/c pipework is a Pick 'n' Mix!!