The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Stock trac control issues with BPU anyone solved this?

StuartW

More dangerous that losing the back end at 50mph when you go across a white line and ripping the car to pieces on a barrier?

I store up pictures of cars that have been written off by forum members (mostly so I can prove it was destroyed when it reappears after a shody rebuild) and it is only the sheer strength of the car that keeps us from losing more members each year.

Feel free to run your own car with no TC at all, but if somebody wants some level of safety on their car lets not try and pursuade them otherwise.

I was actually stating my personal reasons for not wanting to use the std trac system, and trying to point out that tampering with the std system is not a good idea, and would likely end in tears, and probably worse than actually removing it, not advocating that everybody promptly remove theirs.

Also the fact that he is a drag racer should in theory grantee that he has a fair level of competence to keep control of a car under extreme circumstances, so i hardly think that he would be unaware of the cars potentially.

Funny that when i joined this forum the removal of the trac control system was advocated because of numerous reports of unpredictable and dangerous behaviour from the car when the trac control cut in, funny how things change.

I will also point out that after owning my Supra in both BPU and single turbo mode for over four years, with no trac control, i never once had any problems in all conditions except heavy snow, which i dint drive in, i like to think mainly because aware aware of the conditions and drove accordingly, and dint take stupid risks.

My point being that accident's in supras are down to either shear bad luck or having no respect for capabilities of the car , and that the track control would have made little difference to the outcome in any case.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was actually stating my personal reasons for not wanting to use the std trac system, and trying to point out that tampering with the std system is not a good idea, and would likely end in tears, and probably worse than actually removing it, not advocating that everybody promptly remove theirs.

Also the fact that he is a drag racer should in theory grantee that he has a fair level of competence to keep control of a car under extreme circumstances, so i hardly think that he would be unaware of the cars potentially.

Funny that when i joined this forum the removal of the trac control system was advocated because of numerous reports of unpredictable and dangerous behaviour from the car when the trac control cut in, funny how things change.

I will also point out that after owning my Supra in both BPU and single turbo mode for over four years, with no trac control, i never once had any problems in all conditions except heavy snow, which i dint drive in, i like to think mainly because aware aware of the conditions and drove accordingly, and dint take stupid risks.

My point being that accident's in supras are down to either shear bad luck or having no respect for capabilities of the car , and that the track control would have made little difference to the outcome in any case.

I think that anybody who owns a Supra TT in any stage of tune, will use that power on the road.

my 1 and only ever crash on the road ended in me fearing/respecting the roads and un predictable cambers, oil/diesel patches, wet..slippery..other un predictable peeps..that's why i dont ride my YZF with a 1 to 1 power to weight anymore!

It was also the LSD that spat me off! it was up a very steep hill that had shell grip on the down road, as i pulled out to overtake a 15mph van the rear wheels span up, then the drivers side caught the opposite side of the road's shell grip and...WHAM spat me off just missing a 4ft think wall and through an armco that ended 1ft from my head smashing the windscreen!! if i had been spat to the other side i would have killed 2 little girls playing in their garden..The father came and pointed that out to me whilst the Mint storm Blue TT6 was sat battered in the ditch. Everyone i knew seeing it and me stood there.

Ground..swallow...me..up..please!

Shortly after this scare i retired from offshore powerboat racing whilst being national reining champ. I can see now that my sub concious wanted to take away at least one element of uncertainty on a racing surface. Although the Drag strip can be variable, it will always be FLAT.

My daily driver now is an Audi Quattro Allroad and the Stock trac on that comes on all the time!

Some basic rules will help though. Never boot on unfamiliar roads..never boot it from cold as cold tyres and intercooler will increase initial torque by quite a large percentage. In the wet wide tyres are worse. Fatigued driving, Car set up/handling faults..the list is endless. The way i see it is that Supra's are MINT and i would love to always keep em..and their drivers in that condidtion ;-)

So my experience led me to the tracks where i could be a Lead foot loon without the cause for personal..or heaven forbid public injury!

I guess the answer i was looking for to this thread was how the stock trac system actually works. Then we could understand if reducing the Butterfly would help or hindre the stock trac weaknesses.

It is much more relaxing to know you have a decent TC system so you don't need to be on the ball all the time !!!

Interesting that you gave up the boats and bike because in your opinion the drag strip is safer!! I had a tri hull tunnel boat built by reddish marine that was supposed to have been clocked at 99mph, it was slightly slower than that when I owned it but still could be spitefull when it wanted, taking off and flying and generally trying to kill people, again you all know how many bikes Ive had and the reason for not riding those anymore is more licence preservation!!! IMO the drag car is by far the most dangerous vehicle I have ever owned and prob the only one I am actually feeling nervous about driving.

No dispute that most owners will use the Supras power on the road, dispite there individual capability's,

I have owned, built and ridden bikes for 35 years, and its probably this that makes me more road condition, and other driver awear,

But my main reason for my distrust of the std trac control system is down to the way it works, its a simple system that as soon as there is a speed differential between wheels, IE ice, wet, diesel etc it just shuts the butterfly, with very little inindividual wheel braking, and as we all know do this mid bend and ------------------ , and this along with its liking for cutting in when you are trying to get out of a busy junction or big roundabout, and leaves you with no power blocking said junction or roundabout with your pride and joy, with a car/van lorry bearing down on you, that the sort of thing that made me get rid.

No dispute that most owners will use the Supras power on the road, dispute there individual capability's,

I have owned, built and ridden bikes for 35 years, and its probably this that makes me more road condition, and other driver awear,

But my main reason for my distrust of the std trac control system is down to the way it works, its a simple system that as soon as there is a speed differential between wheels, IE ice, wet, diesel etc it just shuts the butterfly, with very little inindividual wheel braking, and as we all know do this mid bend and ------------------ , and this along with its liking for cutting in when you are trying to get out of a busy junction or big roundabout, and leaves you with no power blocking said junction or roundabout with your pride and joy, with a car/van lorry bearing down on you, that the sort of thing that made me get rid.

Again being a biker I agree with this 100%, I always turn the stock TC off!!!! BUT would always have some sort of decent TC on any road going Sup I intended to keep.

Apparently it was a cowboy boot caught under the brake pedal !!!!

A mate of mine revved his 900cc bike up outside the pub window and forgot it was in gear as he let the clutch out it came flying thru and embedded itself in the bar, he was still sat on it and just lifted his visor and said 'pint of lager top please' !!!