The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Luc's SRD1XXX Supra

Luxluc

I was at the bodyshop today to see how the works on the arches are going on.

We did put 100kg in the trunk, and then I went out with the chief mechanic on the passenger seat to see if it did still touch.

He was so impressed by the punch that he forgot to breath when I did a 60-160 pull.

I tried on one of the secondary roads how traction is in 2nd gear on those 315 wide R888. I have to say WOW. I have never been that hard pressed in the seat .... the back squatted very hard and I could see the nose of the car lifting seriously .. something I had never had before.

TRACTION is fine now ... the Supra can have more power NOW :D :d

Regarding the arches, they are 90% fine now ... the arch parts next to the side skits and rear bumper need to be bent in too, as those parts are still touching slightly ... the rest of the arch is fine now. I have to use the 3mm spacers on the rear though, as the inner of the tire is touching the suspension arm when the car is on the ramp and the tires off the ground. It would probably be OK on the road, but over hard bumps where the car would be lifted high out of the suspension, it could have touched. I didn't want to take any risks.

Here a couple of pics.

The arches need a little respay, as the paint (18 years old now) had cracked slightly.

Looks lovely mate, I'm going to have to give in and buy some R888s for the rear, traction on mine is terrible.

Thanks Jamie. Honestly mate ... those R888 give awesome grip even at 700+ torque. I'm really impressed. I wasn't expecting that much traction in 2nd gear. WOW !

Luc, that's a pretty big offset...bringing it tight inboard to the suspension. So the 3mm spacers are definitely needed.

Jamie, thought you had 888s on already?

That's right Glenn. CCW allow very wide rims (up to 11.5 on the rear) without having to change anything on the arches from an optical point of view (only bent in fenders and a very slight roll depending on the tire type). That's exactly what I wanted, as I'm not a fan of widened rear arches (fenders etc).

... Sorry Kaan .. no offense ;) :)

- - - Updated - - -

traction on mine is terrible.

What tires are you running now mate? Michelin Pilot Sport ?

Looks wicked luc, ive always rated r888`s, hook up well from cold which most others don`t.

I know you used them always on your Supra's Si. I'm really impressed. I know that I went with a quite wide rear tire, but the way I was pushed into the seat was very impressive .. all the power put on the ground from 40mph on.

Looking good Luc :thumbs: shame you didn't get away with the paint not cracking.

Thanks Andrew. It's not a problem ... I knew it would probably happen ;)

I have been to the garage this morning to see how the works are going on.

Something I realized the last 2 years is that the steering wheel isn't straight when driving straight out. We checked the 2 wheels (rear left and rear right) and realized that toe in is way too much on the left side compared to the right side ( with a metal plate held against the rim, the plate gave 3cm space between the plate and the door panel on the right side ; on the left side the plate was touching the door). In fact, the right rim goes on without spacer, and the left one doesn't.

The chief mechanic knows the owner of another garage who bought a brand new wheel alignment system for sports cars and very low cars. We will give it a go today to get the alignment corrected. It looks as if the spacers could be removed once the alignment is spot on. Let's hope they get it right.

I will drive the Supra today a bit around to see if the arches are fine now. This morning from the garage to my regiment, everything was fine. Today, I will give it the beans a bit throught the twisty roads on my drive home. If everything is fine then, the arches will be painted tomorrow and I will get the Supra back before the week-end. :)