The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Drifting in an MR2....?

Jamesy

Hi guys

I really want to learn how to do some drifting - as it looks like great fun and it makes driving a tail crazy high powered car a little easier and better to control should the back end step out!!

I have found a fairly new company over on driftworks that offer 1-2-1 drift lessons for £100 for half a day or £150 for a full day, in your own car. This is with some high profile names in the drifting world.

I was wondering what people think it'd be like drifting in the MR2? obviousaly its RWD so thats a good srtart, but being mid/rear engined i dont think it'd be the easiest car to try and drift compared to the usual S14's etc??

Any pro's able to shed some light?

Muchos :)

MR2s are not great at drifting. Like you say, the engine being at the back means the slides aren't progressive or easy to control. Basically, you're either cornering or you're facing the wrong way. Or you're in a hedge.

It won't be so bad if you're on an open space like an airfield, but trying to nail a drift on a track in an MR2 will drive you mental.

MR2s are not great at drifting. Like you say, the engine being at the back means the slides aren't progressive or easy to control. Basically, you're either cornering or you're facing the wrong way. Or you're in a hedge.

It won't be so bad if you're on an open space like an airfield, but trying to nail a drift on a track in an MR2 will drive you mental.

Yeah i think they do the lessons at Santa Pod or similar, but as i've done none before im not so sure i want to be trying from scratch in the MR2 which is a shame as its just sitting there!!

Overpriced, would only pay that for an silvia.

Get an N/A Supra, it will happily drift all day long and you don't have to worry about it getting you home afterwards.

Only modification I would do is strip it out to carry more wheels and tyres(6 easily done without removing the passenger seat) and weld the diff, as the standard one doesn't lock as easily once it gets hot(still locked better than my 200 thopugh). Run 50+psi at the rear and away you go.

Any drift day I've attended, the track/pit area is always littered with people trying to sort out various issues with their s-bodies.

And if you read any forum after a drift day there are always several people who's car requires some sort of repair, common repairs on 200's:

Turbo gaskets, buy cheap and you can look forward to replacing it after every drift day.

Wiring loom on a lowered 200, the front wheel rubs through the arch and through the loom(two of these at the last day I attended).

Standard SMIC prone to splitting at the side on 200's, easily exposed at a drift day.

Finally uk 200's RUST, and plenty of it, which is fine if you are handy with a welder. :)

While I agree with the idea that a Supra is inherently more reliable than an S-body, the parts are interchangeable between most Nissans from S series to GT series so repairs are relatively affordable.

In my opinion, the biggest issue is that, due to the increased popularity of drifting, most Nissans are thrashed to within an inch of their lives - and so will need a lot of work to regain reliability.