The mkiv Supra Owners Club

True twin turbo conversion

JMB

There are certain advantages of running it this way, the first being taking the stress off the number one turbo by having them both coming on at the same time, the second being the much more linear power delivery, its a lot smoother IMO and of course you all get slightly better fuel economy.

It does come at a price of spool though as you wont see full boost till around 4k revs. Its probably not ideal for auto's to be honest, you need a manual to overcome the lag really. It would also be ideal to run a piggy back to cure the fueling issue's and make the most of the setup.

That's my 2 pennies on the subject anyway :)

• 3 weeks later...
There are certain advantages of running it this way, the first being taking the stress off the number one turbo by having them both coming on at the same time, the second being the much more linear power delivery, its a lot smoother IMO and of course you all get slightly better fuel economy.

It does come at a price of spool though as you wont see full boost till around 4k revs. Its probably not ideal for auto's to be honest, you need a manual to overcome the lag really. It would also be ideal to run a piggy back to cure the fueling issue's and make the most of the setup.

+1

I have an auto + TTC, but we did the extreme TTC by following the secret sauce link:http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?199001-MTR-s-TTC-secret-sauce-mods....pics&highlight=secret+souce

TTC lag is overrated imo (but also very subjective ;)). The only time you will notice it is on WOT after you have come to a complete stop. When cruising around, boost is available 1 or 2 gears down :eyebrows:

Next year (feb/march) we are doing a manual conversion and I will post de dyno figures.

The following is part of the 'TTC secret sauce mod' and removes all butterflies between the twins and exhaust, which had def. made a big difference:

1. #2 Turbo Pipe Mod - remove the butterfly in the pipe coming off the second turbo. Then take a digrinder and remove the aluminum arc that went around that butterfly. Also get the hole where the bullerflys rod came out of the side welded up. Now another thing that you can do is take the middle plate with the openings in it and swap it out with solid piece that you can make out of 1/8 inch aluminum. This is the piece in the picture with the gaskets and crappy blue sealant on it. This plate that goes on top that makes it so the air doesnt have to occupy the extra area in the upper part. Also makes things less turbulant.

2. EGCV Mod - Take out the stock EGCV butterfly and replace it with a straight through design. You can just take a screwdriver with a hammer and bash out the butterfly but that leaves the rod which I also wanted removed. The reason why you need to make an entire new piece is because the stock one is made of ceramic. And since you can't weld ceramic, you would have two large holes in your exhaust. I made mine myself on a lathe out of a piece of temp resistant steel. This will increase the crosssectional area of the #2 turbos exhaust by over 30%. Kinda a pain to install but I found it to be worth it.