The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Sat Nav wanted

CJ

I am after a cheap Sat Nav and looking to spend under £50 including carriage to wet Wales. Preferably a Tom Tom or Garmin and not a subscription based update service.

If you are looking to sell or upgrade, give me a shout. :)

Forgive me if this is a silly question, but have you tried cash convertor type places? The ones near me seem to be swimming in these!

I have been looking on eBay and gumtree and never even thought of those places. We have one in the town and so I will have a look tomorrow.

Thanks for the tip.

The binatone units are actually quite good. G350 I think it is. I bought one for £29 and then put TomTom on it, but even the inbuilt satnav software is good.

Tescos and other places do them.

I reckon something like that or the ones mr. Lover linked to would do me fine. I only mentioned tomtom or garmin as they seemed to be the known makes and Market leaders.

Now, if only I could find one at £29!

I'm a bit torn now. I've been offered a tom-tom 500 for £45 delivered or brand new binatone g350 for £35 delivered.

The binatone comes with 12 months warranty but the tom-tom is the better machine.

Go for the TomTom, I've used other's but still prefer TomTom's (good reception on them and easy menus). I'd try getting it for a little less than £45 as that models pretty old now.

If you can, go for a TomTom One v2 / v3 or better if price it right. Should not need to pay anymore than £50 for a couple year old TomTom One.

As said before, cash back shops are pretty good for sat navs.

Hope this helps.

Have you got a smartphone? It might be easier and cheaper to download the software for that.

I'm using a lent iPhone 3G and recently downloaded a free app called navfree which a few members had been using and could recommend.

Unfortunately, when I tried it all I got was a message saying gps signal was poor and it could not locate a road near to me. This was despite me taking it to high ground on a clear day and so I gave that up as a bad job.

I know I can get paid for apps for this too but after that experience I am loathe to chance it and decided to go for a standalone

I've tried out a couple of them apps on my iPhone 4, they are ok but you do really need a booster (which TomTom do) but by the time you buy that and the TomTom app (cost of £90+ together) you may as well get a stand alone sat nav.

For the one you've seen CJ that's about the right price for a v2, I'd go for it mate. Think you'd be happy with that.

My Mrs is using my 4 year old one still (yep with 4 year old maps,lol) she's still happy with it, not that she goes that far mind.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. You might also be interested in our Guidelines, Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.