The mkiv Supra Owners Club

EU Legislation to prevent modifying

tbourner

Just had this on email:

IMPORTANT please read this will affect you in the end.

EU internal marketing and consumer protection are currentlu in the process of passing "anti tampering" legislation amongst other things with regard to motorcycles....

I hear you say..."we're not bikers!"

if this goes through it WILL get extended to cars....

Some of the basics

no modification....at all, end of, finito benito.....incl tyres, air filter, exhausts even sprocket sizes.

only factory approved parts....incl spark plugs and only available to Approved service dealers.. end of home servicing

on board diognostics recording route, ryding style, speed an emmissions downloadable by the police and insurance companies

and the scariest:

ALL MOTORCYLES OVER 7 YEARS OLD BANNED FROM URBAN AREAS

this is not a bit of scare mongering as it's gona be voted on in early October, if passed it's law with no input from parliament and customising bikes in the UK is over for good

I replied with the following:

Don't panic.

It seems to me on the limited research I've just done, that the anti-tampering stuff only relates to bikes under 125cc, which will stop gangs of yoofs riding around on mopeds with no exhaust!

Here's the EUs consultation document on it:

http://ec.europa.eu/enterprise/sectors/automotive/files/consultation/2_3_wheelers/consultation_document_en.pdf

I think that's a good idea, modifying a 125 or less is pretty pointless, just get a proper licence and a proper bike. I'm not sure on something I read about limiting road bikes to a certain KW output though. This is all just proposal at the moment, I doubt half the things will go through, and I doubt even more that it will filter to cars any time soon.

As for the Periodic Technical Inspections (PTI); BandB have a page on it:

http://www.bikingandbeyond.co.uk/periodic%20technical%20inspections%20(pti)%20for%20motor%20vehicles%20and%20their%20trailers.html

With a link to the EUs Road Safety document:

http://ec.europa.eu/transport/road_safety/pdf/com_20072010_en.pdf

And FEMAs rejection of parts of that proposal, particularly related to the UK where we already have the MOT system in place:

http://www.fema-online.eu/uploads/documents/vehicle%20aspects/FEMA_RWTPaper_2008.pdf

I do think something similar to this will happen eventually, some insurers already install 'black boxes' to stop you driving at certain times and record your speed etc., it will likely become more prevalent until someone decides all new vehicles need to have them to record 'safety' information, which will obviously include your speed and technical problems the vehicle is experiencing (which may or may not include having non standard parts fitted). However I'm not too worried, people always come up with a workaround, the tuning companies were panicking when the Nissan GTR came out as the ECU was meant to be un-tunable - that lasted about a week.

First I've heard of it as well TBH, anyone know whether it's just another scary chain email or actually likely to become the future, where no road vehicles are allowed to be modified and big brother will be watching everything you do?

Not a cat in hells chance !! For one it would render thousands of people jobless and that's the last thing the government wants after unemployment is through the roof already !! Plus they would take a huge hit on fuel revenue as people wouldn't have second cars like supra's etc that are gas guzzlers. So that's no extra fuel money, no second tax disc and no second insurance policy. They would have to be on crack to think this was a good idea, plus places like santa pod and most of our race tracks would fold as most of their clientele is road legal track cars and modified cars.

Just imagine how much people spend on going to meets, events and track days in fuel, food etc that they would otherwise not have spent.

f the [MOD EDIT: REMOVED SWEARING] eu they have brought us nothing but cr@p with there stupid regulations which no one else in the eu cares about, THIS IS ENGLAND. should never of joint the eu should of made our own lazy job seekers do labouring not europeans!! yeah we have money troubles but i kniow what lets bail out so other contry that wasted all the cash!

why dont we borrow loads on money do the hole contry up so its totally amazing then say we havent any money then get the other contrys to bail us out. eu my [MOD EDIT: REMOVED SWEARING]

They can't even keep a dossier of illegal immigrants without "conveniently" losing it, what hope have they of enforcing all these new laws? With any luck the European Community will be long gone before this sort of nonsense can have any effect :) Bureaucrats are in fear of job and salary, it's in their own interest to have new legislation to *i*s about with, they love it.

f the [MOD EDIT: REMOVED SWEARING]eu they have brought us nothing but cr@p with there stupid regulations which no one else in the eu cares about, THIS IS ENGLAND. should never of joint the eu should of made our own lazy job seekers do labouring not europeans!! yeah we have money troubles but i kniow what lets bail out so other contry that wasted all the cash!

why dont we borrow loads on money do the hole contry up so its totally amazing then say we havent any money then get the other contrys to bail us out. eu my [MOD EDIT: REMOVED SWEARING]

Stories like this are [MOD EDIT: REMOVED SWEARING]. Always are. Always will be

Seems both of you also incapable of replying sans-swearing.

Try it, once? Please?

Oh, and it's not me on a high-horse, they've been reported.