The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Camera Help

Stonkin

I've noticed for a while that whenever i am photographing work when i am using the halogen lights, i get green glares replicating the lights. Its annoying and i have no idea how to stop it. Can any photographers suggest anything? I am using a Sony Alpha A450

These are the type of glares i am referring to

Cheers

That seems to be the general opinion. When i got the camera everyone said get a filter to protect it. After reading a few pages today it seems unless you are shooting near sand or other hazardous dusty areas then dont bother and it is actually much harder to scratch the lens on modern cameras now a days. I've always put the lense cap straight back on after each shot which takes time when taking agood few hundered per car detail but i want to keep the kit in good nic.

Thanks for peoples replies, i will give it a go as this has bugged me for ages.

ps, anyone need a filter? :)

I found the same, I have a UV filter on mine, its great removes reflections from glass, paint and water, lets you take great vibrant sky pictures as well.

Downside is there are lots of patches from light reflections. :( I have had my Nikkon for years and not managed to scratch the lense yet even after it getting bathed in dust at the Goodwood rally stage :D

To be honest Christian, just put a lens hood on your lens.

Forget about the filter.

The hood helps reduce flare, but more importantly, it isn't another piece of glass in front of your existing glass...and...it will protect your lens from bumps and scrapes etc. :)

Also, I wouldn't bother putting your cap on in between each shot...Just bung a hood on and job done.

One filter you really should consider is a CPL. The circular ploarzing filter can help reduce massive reflections in metal, glass, water etc and would be a perfect addition to your camera gear line-up. Given your job, I would invest in one :)

All you do is put it on, look through viewfinder, and twist the filter round - watch the flare and reflections come and then go as you twist some more.

Landscapers like to use it to also enhance the colours of the sky etc.

http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/technical/polarizers.html

I found the same, I have a UV filter on mine, its great removes reflections from glass, paint and water, lets you take great vibrant sky pictures as well.

I think you're referring to a polarising filter there - a UV filter doesn't remove reflections or make vibrant sky pictures by lifting contrast etc etc.

Circular polarising filter might help might can be expensive and the answer might be simpler than that. You will only get flare if the lights shining into the lens or at an acute angle across it. You shouldn't get flare from reflected lights. A lens hood helps by basically putting the front element of the lens in shadow. If the front of the lens isn't in shadow with the hood fitted you will probably still get flare. Try extending the lens hood with your hand or a piece of card (be careful not to get siad item in the photograph!) or move the lights so they don't shine in to the lens.

It could also be a white balance issue with interior lights. Fluorescent lights will give a green colour cast and tungsten lights will give a yellow colour cast. If there's a white balance setting on your camera do a comparison shot with everything set how you normally do it then take exactly the same shot but with the white balance set to fluorescent light. Compare the two images and see if that's solved it.