The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Help needed, Towing weights..

ManwithSupra

Around 1200kgs

http://www.uktow.com

Cheers for that link that is helpful. But do you know if that limit is braked or un-braked?

It’s unclear on that site.

There does not seem to be any clear information anywhere, I really want something crystal clear, as i don’t want to be illegal.

You would have thought they would have put that info with the car, I even phoned my local ford dealership but all i got was a vague answer which was about as useful as a chocolate teapot. I was told to check the VIN plate but that is not clear either, it lists like 5 different KG weights and the manual does not explain them.

I reckon that 1875kg is the maximum gross weight of the car including passengers and luggage etc.

3375kg would be the maximum train weight which includes the car (as above) and braked trailer.

Therefore maximum braked trailer weight = 3375-1875 = 1500kg.

The manufacturers always quote a higher figure than most organisations would recommend to tow in practice.

I reckon that 1875kg is the maximum gross weight of the car including passengers and luggage etc.

3375kg would be the maximum train weight which includes the car (as above) and braked trailer.

Therefore maximum braked trailer weight = 3375-1875 = 1500kg.

The manufacturers always quote a higher figure than most organisations would recommend to tow in practice.

Thanks mate, that cleared things up :)

(Q) is your vehicles maximum loaded weight. (4Q) is the maximum 'all-up' weight including loaded car and any trailer/caravan. The other two you don't really need as they are simply your max weight for front and rear axle loads. So, if you take your max loaded vehicle weight (Q) away from the all up permissible weight (4Q) you will be left with the maximum weight your car can tow. Bearing in mind a decent 4 wheel trailer alone is going to be heavy, plus even a stripped MKIV, it isn't going to be a suitable or legal tow car. You need RWD or 4 WD with a short overhang past the rear axle centreline to the tow bar.

http://www.whattowcar.com/

I would have thought a 4x4 or estate car would be best and with a largish diesel engine probably 3.0 TDI. What about a land cruiser ? Or you could get Abz's Nissan Navara.

Er dude, you might be talking about AdnanShah not moi ;)

How about something like this for Richard? Might be slightly under powered but will tow & be at least economical...ish.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201143425167657/sort/priceasc/usedcars/price-to/4000/engine-size-cars/2-6l_to_2-9l/fuel-type/diesel/radius/1501/page/26/postcode/e143hr?logcode=p

Er dude, you might be talking about AdnanShah not moi ;)

How about something like this for Richard? Might be slightly under powered but will tow & be at least economical...ish.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201143425167657/sort/priceasc/usedcars/price-to/4000/engine-size-cars/2-6l_to_2-9l/fuel-type/diesel/radius/1501/page/26/postcode/e143hr?logcode=p

Woops lol

Having done this just a few times i wouldn't tow a twin axle trailer with a 1000kg car on it + tools,

spares, fuel, passengers etc with anything less than a decent sized 4x4 such as a Landcruiser

Range Rover etc

I used an 850 Volvo Estate once to help out a member with a broken supra and i wouldnt do it again

no matter what the legal figures say.

Bigger is better ;) and one of these is what you want

4.2 TDi Towing machine :)

Having done this just a few times i wouldn't tow a twin axle trailer with a 1000kg car on it + tools,

spares, fuel, passengers etc with anything less than a decent sized 4x4 such as a Landcruiser

Range Rover etc

I used an 850 Volvo Estate once to help out a member with a broken supra and i wouldnt do it again

no matter what the legal figures say.

Bigger is better ;) and one of these is what you want

4.2 TDi Towing machine :)

Landrover Defender for me everytime... just pulls/tows anything... including a 3.5 ton water bowser... oops...