The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Anyone driven both RPS & Carbonetics Twin Carbon Clutches? Options and VS arguments?

Scott

I'm definitely planning on one of the above and while both clutches are similarly priced I'm finding it difficult to figure out which one will be best for me.

They are both similarly priced but as the RPS is that price in the US it would suggest, if you take "you get what you pay for", that the RPS is the more premium clutch as if it was over here it would demand a fair bit of a price hike I would imagine.

The RPS comes with everything required to fit (flywheel bolts, release bearing etc), I have no idea if the Carbonetics one does.

The RPS has it's own specially designed pressure plate, rather than using stock. No idea with the carbonetics.

The Carbometics is easily available in the uk (From Paul) but the RPS would need to come from the US (No local support).

I've read a lot of posts on SF about the RPS but there isn't a great deal on the carbonetics ones hence why I'm asking here. The guys over there for the most part say it drives "like stock". There are a few that say this is a load of bull though and while the clutch is a very nice drive, it's nothing like stock with the way it bites etc.

I could be doing with some honest and frank opinions to help me make my mind up. It's a fair old chunk of cash that's going to be thrown into the ring here regardless of which way I go so I at least want to make an informed decision :D

Thanks folks.

RPS is nice but it dont drive like stock, the biting point is on or off but you soon get use to it, They are light but make a fair few noises, I think mine makes more noise as everything on my car is solid mounted, i noticed it become even louder when i fitted the single piece prop.

RPS is nice but it dont drive like stock, the biting point is on or off but you soon get use to it, They are light but make a fair few noises, I think mine makes more noise as everything on my car is solid mounted, i noticed it become even louder when i fitted the single piece prop.

Yeah I'm expecting a bit of noise, I just don't want it sounding like it's falling apart lol.

I don't mind that it doesn't drive like stock, what's annoying me is the sales patter saying that it does. One of the big things I need is for the car to be driveable on the street as 99.999% of the time that's where it's going to be. This is the main reason I am going for a twin disc, to keep the pedal weight down (and obviously futureproof/bombproof).

If you were doing it all again would it still be RPS or would you give the Carbonetics a try? Have you had a drive with a carbonetics clutch at all? Any experience at all?

Cheers