The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Lets talk .... Single turbo clutches

Jamesy

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just add enough clamping pressure and most clutch plates will hold a lot of torque. Making a single plate clutch of limited friction area hold a lot of torque AND behave in a civil manner, AND have good wear qualities is a lot harder. To handle a lot of torque without massive clamping pressure you need friction face area, so you get makers using 2, 3 or 4 plates. Trucks often have single plate clutches that behave beautifully, have huge lifespans and take massive amounts of torque, but they are of huge diameter. It's all a compromise. An unsprung clutch plate won't be as forgiving as a sprung one, even on a stock dual mass flywheel. A 3500 pound spring in a stock cover, like that first one you linked to, will be very heavy to operate, probably to the point the stock release mechanism will be sweating a bit.

Just add enough clamping pressure and most clutch plates will hold a lot of torque. Making a single plate clutch of limited friction area hold a lot of torque AND behave in a civil manner, AND have good wear qualities is a lot harder. To handle a lot of torque without massive clamping pressure you need friction face area, so you get makers using 2, 3 or 4 plates. Trucks often have single plate clutches that behave beautifully, have huge lifespans and take massive amounts of torque, but they are of huge diameter. It's all a compromise. An unsprung clutch plate won't be as forgiving as a sprung one, even on a stock dual mass flywheel. A 3500 pound spring in a stock cover, like that first one you linked to, will be very heavy to operate, probably to the point the stock release mechanism will be sweating a bit.

Great info Chris :)

Edited by Jamesy (see edit history)

I get to see, fit and mend a LOT of clutches, on all sorts of cars, especially Supras. The one that stands out as trouble free, well made, civil, and with off the shelf spares back up, that is listed for the 2JZ is the OS Giken. I have one in my own car.... I have yet to see a Giken product, be it clutch, gearbox, long stroke RB engine conversion or LSD that is less than superb.

I get to see, fit and mend a LOT of clutches, on all sorts of cars, especially Supras. The one that stands out as trouble free, well made, civil, and with off the shelf spares back up, that is listed for the 2JZ is the OS Giken. I have one in my own car.... I have yet to see a Giken product, be it clutch, gearbox, long stroke RB engine conversion or LSD that is less than superb.

Chris, I remember reading that OS Giken is not ideal for drag racing..

Any recommendation on a clutch that will handle drag racing/track/street driving?

If you go drag racing clutches are every bit as much of a consumable as petrol and tyres. It knocks seven bells out of them, and whatever you fit will need regular maintenance and replacement. Heat is the killer. I have no idea what is the "best" clutch fro drag racing, and suspect that benign road usage and reasonable life as a drag race clutch are mutually exclusive. Cerrametallic clutch linings do not like being slipped a lot. I would *imagine* somthing with centrifugal assistance to the clamping pressure is what you want for drag racing. I am afraid I don't know a lot about it, to me it's quite pointless, and a waste of money, sorry ;)

If you go drag racing clutches are every bit as much of a consumable as petrol and tyres. It knocks seven bells out of them, and whatever you fit will need regular maintenance and replacement. Heat is the killer. I have no idea what is the "best" clutch fro drag racing, and suspect that benign road usage and reasonable life as a drag race clutch are mutually exclusive. Cerrametallic clutch linings do not like being slipped a lot. I would *imagine* somthing with centrifugal assistance to the clamping pressure is what you want for drag racing. I am afraid I don't know a lot about it, to me it's quite pointless, and a waste of money, sorry ;)

Thanks Chris..

I get your point, I was looking for something that would handle all forms of racing.. I have the TRD single plate installed, I will just run that for now...

I don't think there is a clutch that's both good for drag racing and good for normal street use, the demands are poles apart, and so, by definition, is their design criteria. A true carbon / carbon clutch is probably what I would suggest trying, but they are fearsomely expensive. They can be slipped without judder, bite better the hotter they get, within some bounds, and wear very well. It would almost certainly demand a custom flywheel and custom concentric release bearing. Sachs, AP Racing, Tilton, Alcon etcetera all make them. I would be looking at the biggest diameter they do, in triple or quad plate format, something like this:

http://www.apracing.com/info/products.asp?product=Triple+%283%29+Plate+Assembly-%3Cbr%3ECP7213%3Cbr%3E+Standard+Duty+Clutch+Family%3Cbr%3E12+Bolt+Mounting_2820_2818

Torque capacity is adequate, a call to AP would get advice from the horse's mouth, they have excellent technical support. Quite why people want to buy from the US when we have a world leading home grown product I don't know :(

Guys what do we think of this HPF Feramic clutch?

Yes its a single plate but its the highest HP holding sngle plater rated to over 1000rwhp and has been used in many 9sec drag cars

http://www.horsepowerfreaks.com/ViewPartDescription.asp?Brand=HPF&Subcategory=Clutch_Kits&Details=Feramic_-_Supra_MK4

Only thing im unsure of is the 3500lb PP..... how heavy will that make pushing the clutch down and the biting point?

On paper it sounds good, its bound to be very heavy though, id pm the guys in them threads that ate running them, first link takes you back to a thread started in 2004.

I got my new RPS triple a few days back, cant wait to try it out.

Edited by JamieP (see edit history)

Very interesting thread so far. I'm looking for a new clutch too, as I'm going for a build engine, new head, cams and more boost ; I don't think my RPS single plate 6 puck clutch will hold 800+ bhp and 700 tq.

Any idea on a price for the OSG clutch Jamesy?