The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Lets talk .... Single turbo clutches

Jamesy

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Jurgen, any chance of sourcing this clutch and if so, how much would it set one back?

It's the noisiest clutch ever, The flywheel rattles at idle and get louder the warmer it gets and the plates chatter when you press the clutch pedal. The noise is horendous. If you can deal with that then its a great clutch.

I took a HKS triple plate out because it needs refurbed it was insane interms of how hard it bit! everybody thought i was a yob reving the car hard then just shooting off at every stop but i stalled it 3 times in about 2 miles trying to slip it. Fitted a carbonetics twin plate from Mr Whiffin and it's a bit lighter and so much better in traffic but i've heard bad things about the tripple of this forum, I've only just completed the 1000 mile run in of the clutch so we'll see how it responds to some proper abuse next time it's out.

It's the noisiest clutch ever, The flywheel rattles at idle and get louder the warmer it gets and the plates chatter when you press the clutch pedal. The noise is horendous. If you can deal with that then its a great clutch.

you must be in sales :)

Well you can get away cheaper aswell i bought à Tilton 3 disc from a nascar payed somthing like 200 for the PP bought a new set of clutch discs for 350, machined the stock flywheel and bought a pressing bearing i think i totaled around 750 for a clutch that was rated to 1240NM torque :)

---

I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=57.724175,11.956396

that was beautiful dude!!! lol:D

“No Bad Decisions” – Recognize that there are no ‘bad’ decisions. Have faith that no matter which decision you choose, that there is a beautiful lesson behind it, and that you will benefit from it, regardless of its potential outcome. Action beats inaction :D

Jamesy, hope you dont mind me using your thread...

I have the TRD single plate in my car, eventually I want to go GTX35R, I dont know if the TRD will hold the torque it makes?

I can get the Exedy or ORC for 1250GBP... I guess they would hold the torque, but would they be okay on the drag strip?

People on a budget might want to consider the way i did it. as you will get a hell of a clutch. dunno if its the best for dragracing as you want to slip it a fair bit. but its handle power with no problem.

1tilton pressure plate about 150-200 dollar from US ebay

1tilton flywheel for any setup around 100 dollar

1 set of tilton discs with 14splines 30.8mm shaft around 400-450 dollar

1 tilton realese bearing around 100 dollar

then you will need to either work with machines or know someone who can machine the stuff. parts are around 800 us dollars. so id say its a cheap alternative for anyone with lots of power but not lots of wallet :) i will definatly do this if i ever iam at going single with my supra as the setup on my MK3 was really awsome as Tilton is 100% quality.

EDIT, dunno if this would actually work since the stock flywheel is a dualmass in aluminium. the MK3 one was a cast one and alot easier to match the oem flywheel with the yankee one. but iam pretty sure it could be dealt with.

Edited by Hellstrom (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...