The mkiv Supra Owners Club

2 probs The reverse gear doesnt beep, and my water is boiling

Mace

Ive got quite a few problems with this pig of a supra i bought, its a UK car.. i noticed up like my jap car the supra doesnt beep when put in reverse??? also my water is boiling in the overflow tank, temp isnt fluctuating on the guage and its not really affecting anything else???

Mine beeps in reverse but I know for a fact that it's because of the aftermarket parking sensors that everyone has delight in asking "What the hell are those lumps on your rear bumper?"! So it might have been that.

I didn't change my fluids, just accepted when the dealer said it had been serviced.

As Faye said earlier, I think you'll find the reverse beep is only on Jap cars, I've got a UK TT Auto and it doesn't beep. As for the boiling in your expansion reservoir I'd go with John and change/flush out your coolant.

I thought the reverse beeper on autos was a Jap thing only :conf:

So JSpecs have reverse beepers, eh? :eyebrows:

Strange how people forget to mention this when 'arguing' about the differences with UKSpec. They stress the headlight washers thing like it's a sure sign of latent homosexuality, but never mention the 'bleepers' :ecstatic:

Live and learn, eh? :thanks:

:giveup: :giveup: :giveup: :giveup: :giveup:

If you water is boiling off through your overflow tank then I would suggest you have a faulty radiator cap...they are cheap to replace so buy a new one from Toyota and test it.

I had to drive mine about 50miles before enough coolant had been ejected to raise the temp on the gauge...

Before you do this though....when cold...take the current cap off and see if the radiator is full...if it's not then again I would suspect the cap.

Ideally you want to fill it up with Toyota Red 4Life Coolant...but for a short term fix, top it up with normal water. Once you have found and fixed the problem, flush the whole system and refill with the 4Life RED coolant.

HTH

So JSpecs have reverse beepers, eh? :eyebrows:

Strange how people forget to mention this when 'arguing' about the differences with UKSpec. They stress the headlight washers thing like it's a sure sign of latent homosexuality, but never mention the 'bleepers' :ecstatic:

Live and learn, eh? :thanks:

:giveup: :giveup: :giveup: :giveup: :giveup:

The beepers only sound inside the car.

It's really nothing to get excited about either way. If you like/don't mind it, keep it, if not, it's simple enough to disconnect :D

If you water is boiling off through your overflow tank then I would suggest you have a faulty radiator cap...they are cheap to replace so buy a new one from Toyota and test it.

I had to drive mine about 50miles before enough coolant had been ejected to raise the temp on the gauge...

Before you do this though....when cold...take the current cap off and see if the radiator is full...if it's not then again I would suspect the cap.

Ideally you want to fill it up with Toyota Red 4Life Coolant...but for a short term fix, top it up with normal water. Once you have found and fixed the problem, flush the whole system and refill with the 4Life RED coolant.

HTH

Wonder how you discovered that then Alex, eh?

;)

(Warmed up yet?!!)

This may be a long shot, but its happened to me recently, suggest checking the multibelt main pully off the crank. They have a metal outer which the belt runs on and a rubber inner. The rubber came away from the outer and although it span the belt whilst the enginer was idleing and not under load, whilst using the power steering and the air con it caused the belt to stop and overheat the water.

Bastard to get at, but worth checking.