The mkiv Supra Owners Club

The Gadget Show builds an FPS simulator that shoots back...

SteamAhead

Now I've got to have a go on this:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/20/the-gadget-show-builds-an-fps-simulator-that-shoots-back-video/

Racing simulators are ten a penny, but the closest an FPS player will get to an immersive experience is buying some branded peripherals. Armed with a pre-release level of Battlefield 3, The Gadget Show enlisted a team of design experts to transform a Birmingham studio into an FPS simulator costing £500,000 ($650,000). A four by nine meter video dome surrounds the player as they stand on an omni-directional treadmill that lets you walk wherever you want to go. Ten infra-red motion tracking cameras and a sensor on your gun enables the picture to follow where you point it and a Kinect hack controls your jumping and crouching. The fun doesn't stop there -- 12 paintball markers mean that every time you get shot in the game, you'll feel it. The show airs in the UK on October 24th at 8:00pm, Channel 5.

Few more years and we will have star treck's hollow deck in our homes :)

I can't believe it's taken this long to get something like that up and running. I would have thought there would be commercial options available by now too. The benefits are huge, it means that when kids are playing these games they will actually be keeping fit.... something that is sorely lacking in the UK right now.

I can't believe it's taken this long to get something like that up and running. I would have thought there would be commercial options available by now too. The benefits are huge, it means that when kids are playing these games they will actually be keeping fit.... something that is sorely lacking in the UK right now.

Perhaps on a psychological level a run round the park might be better than shooting foreign nationals in the head from 200m away!!

Is it me or does Andy Mcnabb need to get over himself a bit...he left the SAS 20 years ago, nobody is coming to get him now ;)

Perhaps on a psychological level a run round the park might be better than shooting foreign nationals in the head from 200m away!!

Definitely, trouble is they don't and most parents don't seem to be the slightest bit motivated to do anything about it. It's rare I even see kids outside playing nowadays, they are mostly in their houses playing 18+ games on their consoles/pcs.

Is it me or does Andy Mcnabb need to get over himself a bit...he left the SAS 20 years ago, nobody is coming to get him now ;)

I've thought that for a while, I don't blame him though it's a cracking money spinner he has going.

Definitely, trouble is they don't and most parents don't seem to be the slightest bit motivated to do anything about it. It's rare I even see kids outside playing nowadays, they are mostly in their houses playing 18+ games on their consoles/pcs.

Completely agree, mine have set limits on computer/console time each day and wont be allowed any games over their age rating. But mine seem to be the exception now adays. Most parents seem happy to let their kids get absorbed in to their DS when they are out of the house and the Xbox when in the house. I quite enjoy talking to my kids and taking them to the park or climbing or cycling.

Completely agree, mine have set limits on computer/console time each day and wont be allowed any games over their age rating. But mine seem to be the exception now adays. Most parents seem happy to let their kids get absorbed in to their DS when they are out of the house and the Xbox when in the house. I quite enjoy talking to my kids and taking them to the park or climbing or cycling.

You just reminded me of this...

A few months ago I was at a funeral for an ex work collegue. Right down the front row was a kid with the trade mark white shirt and spikey hair with his face stuck in his DS from the start of the service to the end. I reckon he was 10 or so. The fact that he was near the front would suggest to me that he was likely a relative of some sort yet his parents, who were actually next to him and not on some distant planet, didn't seem to care less.

Unbelievable. The funny thing is I heard a few people comment on how rude the kid was. I personally don't blame the kid in the slightest, the parents should be the ones getting strung up.