The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Another rant, bloody low energy light bulbs

Chris Wilson

Genuine Phillips low energy bulbs. Apart from the stink from them when they were new they have, over less than six months, lost a LOT of their brightness and have got even slower at coming to their full (now pathetic) brilliance. If I go in a room at night to look for something the things start up so slowly it's a full couple of minutes before they are any good. I have found someone with a big stash of proper 150 watt incandescent bulbs, I am putting those back in the rooms I sometimes need to go in at night, but don't use all the time. The technology may be energy saving (although our bills are ever rising), but from an instant light output they are pathetic. The local council (jobsworths) sent a 3 page flyer the other month detailing exactly how they should be disposed of, too, which made them sound like radioactive waste, what's the place coming to? :( They invent all this *rap and never develop it properly before making it "compulsory".

Surprisingly its the more expensive branded ones that are rubbish. Bought a few cheap "100W" (Tesco branded) output ones and they reach full brightness almost instantly.

My house also comes with the newer type of energy saving bulbs (2 pin type) housing and they produce a bright white light too!

New LED technology is rubbish also, bough some multi LED (50millon hours bollocks) spots for the kitchen 9 months ago one is dead and the others are getting dim. Need to stock up on security light 500watt bulbs, tried a Low energy one, absolute rubbish, local scum bags will have to bring a torch if they want to nic stuff off cars the security light is just too dim.

Have them in a few places in my house - was annoyed with the triple inline 60watt style I had in my kitchen as they were really slow to reach full output and not that bright even then. I replaced those bulbs with Ikea's latest efforts and am much happier with them - come onto full brightness instantly and almost on a par for old skool 60watt bulbs :)

Agreed. They are crap I had one in my garage when I moved in. It was easier to light the room with my phone!

Doesn't that spoil the idea of having a mobile phone if it is always tied to your garage ceiling?

Bit of trial and error needed, some of mine are good and some are pants, doesn't seem related to cost at all though.

Work you way up from the cheapest and find a good un. We have a mixture at home and with the wife and kids leaving lights on for fun I am glad we had dimmer, low wattage lights. The leccy bill would be massive without them. I had a quick run around the house last night and switched of 18 bulbs in rooms that people weren't using. Our house isn't that big either..!!

H.

I've been watching those programmes about electricity with Dr Jim Piccalili and he demonstrated Humphrey Davy's experiment in the Royal Institution where he brought two carbon rods together and made a carbon arc light up the entire room. The very first electric light was way too bright for common use.

It seems we are going backwards in development, due in my opinion to so called green issues and lobbying.

i love the energy bulbs if they saving you money lol.i bought a load when they were on offer for 10p each from tesco.big tesco 1200 lumen 20watt and some smaller Phillips 600 lumen 10 watt.got about 80 as they were good price at 10p each.went to get some old 60 watt bulbs and they were £2.95 each from B&Q and they dont seem to last 2 mins.

think of the enviroment :-)

How much light do you need? I've got energy saving in my bedside table light, wife still has an old bulb - hers comes up straight away and mine takes about 2 mins to get to full power, but once on mine has a much nicer white light rather than the dull yellow of her bulb.

Funnily enough, I just put a couple of LED spotlights in our kitchen. I was getting fed up of replacing the halogen GU10 spots everytime one went pop. These new ones are a bit whiter, but nowhere near as white as some I've seen. Each spotlight as 3x2W LED's in each spotlight. So far I'm impressed - they're easily bright enough and there's no waiting about for them to come up to full brightness.

I have the energy saving bulbs elsewhere in the house and don't really have any complaints TBH. I have one in a lamp in the bedroom that takes a little while to brighten up, but not enough to bother me.

If it reduces my bill, that's good for me.

:)

I quite like them too. Mine seem to be long-lasting and only take few seconds to come up to full brightness: bright enough to immediately point percy at the porcelain.

I like the effect of brightening up over a few seconds: it's less harsh on the eyes when you've come from somewhere dark, or just put the bedroom light on.

I quite like them too. Mine seem to be long-lasting and only take few seconds to come up to full brightness: bright enough to immediately point percy at the porcelain.

I like the effect of brightening up over a few seconds: it's less harsh on the eyes when you've come from somewhere dark, or just put the bedroom light on.

But if by a few seconds you are talking three seconds, and successfully going to bed 365 days of the year, would you not exchange the 18 minutes and 15 seconds you've wasted waiting for the light to come on for something else? :D