The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Anyone using PHR electric fans.

hodge

As above guys. What sort of engine temps are you seeing with these. On a hot day, well as hot as the UK gets really they seem to struggle to cool the engine down with normal urban driving, starting, stopping at lights etc.

I built this kit myself to the sane spec PHR use.

I used genuine PHR fan shroud

Lexus IS300 electrics fans

And made up my own wiring and sourced relays etc etc. I've taken my power feed direct from the alternator so they can't be any issues with power to push the fans.

If you guys are seeing low temps and no issues with the kit then I need to look deeper into the components used. The fan motors were 2nd hand so I'm wondering if they are worn which will effect the power of the motors not being enough to cool the engine.

What are your thoughts and opinions on this please.

Thanks

John

I would have thought you'd be steering away from electric fans Hodge :) I honestly think you are being very risky using just an electric fan / fans. The stock engine driven fan probably consumes 1.5 HP + when the viscous is hot and calling for maximum drive. You'd need an electric motor as big as a lawn mower engine to give enough oomph. The viscous is clever, reliable, neat and free, why fiddle with it?

An IC engine is terribly inefficient and produces vast amounts of waste heat energy. You are probably more than doubling the power output, yet are considering REDUCING the efficiency of the cooling system. I drive the engine driven fan at on my RB26 at full pulley speed with a direct drive having removed the viscous. I might lose a bit of power to it, but rather that than be marginal on cooling. There's not a cat in hells chance of any viable electric radiator fan coping, and it's "only" about 560 hp at the flywheel.

I would have thought you'd be steering away from electric fans Hodge :) I honestly think you are being very risky using just an electric fan / fans. The stock engine driven fan probably consumes 1.5 HP + when the viscous is hot and calling for maximum drive. You'd need an electric motor as big as a lawn mower engine to give enough oomph. The viscous is clever, reliable, neat and free, why fiddle with it?

The issue I have with this is, my car wad originally an N/A which did not have the extra small aux fan on the shroud. Bossco went N/A to BPU TT and with the viscous fan on it's own without the small aux fan his temps were rising on full boost at 1.3 bar. These fans and motors are huge compared the those little shitty ones from MVP. I'm inclined to think the motors are worn.

Temps will and should rise on full boost, it's how far they rise that matters. The cooling system will never hold to within say less than 4 degrees, so long as it stays under about 95C under whatever periods of boost you are likely to sustain, in all weathers, it should be OK. You need to log it. Logging is my new pet love, I wish I had siscovered its merits a long tme ago, it would have saved me hours of fiddling and anguish. You have the means with that Syvecs, it's just a few key strokes away.

Im on electric fans/fluidyne rad and never had an issue, always sits between 87-91c, cant say ive noticed it ever get higher than that, my fans switch on at 91 and off again at 87, soon as the fans kick in the heat drops right away, sat on the north circular with Ryan not long back for two hours of traffic in roasting heat and the car was faultless.

electric fans normally have a life of 5-8 years efficancy will be affected as the bearings and sill wear, a new one will flow alot more air then a old one

This is what I thought. I max look into how much a couple of new motors are from Toyota/Lexus and try that. Failing that it's going to be a set of SRD fans I recon.

Im on electric fans/fluidyne rad and never had an issue, always sits between 87-91c, cant say ive noticed it ever get higher than that, my fans switch on at 91 and off again at 87, soon as the fans kick in the heat drops right away, sat on the north circular with Ryan not long back for two hours of traffic in roasting heat and the car was faultless.

Are both fans set to come on together Jamie or at intivals.

They both come on together, ive also got a PHR 175amp Race alternator to cope with the extra load.

I have just paid for the srd twin 14" electric fans, seeing the results on jamies and lee's they seem a great buy and more importantly do the job. I dont think either of them have had any sniff of trouble. plus i think the syvecs is programmed to run them, but that side of things is way over my head.

Yup, syvecs runs them.

They both come on together, ive also got a PHR 175amp Race alternator to cope with the extra load.

I have a 200 amp alternator in mine and the fans are powered direct to the alternator itself. My fans both come on separately I think I'll alter the settings in the Syvecs software to they work in tandom. I'm pretty convinced that the motors are pretty worn and are struggling.

Is there any simple way of testing the motor efficiency????

• 10 months later...

What sort of fan kit have you fitted?

As Chris says, they will need a 12v relay with a direct power feed. To have the Syvecs control them you need to run the earth relay switch to the Syvecs and when you programme the Syvecs for the temp you want it to turn on and off it earths the relay, turning the fans on.

What sort of fan kit have you fitted?

As Chris says, they will need a 12v relay with a direct power feed. To have the Syvecs control them you need to run the earth relay switch to the Syvecs and when you programme the Syvecs for the temp you want it to turn on and off it earths the relay, turning the fans on.

Just a cheapy from ebay as I thought I would still benifit from this but im starting to think its just junk! I only bought it to tidy the bay up a bit as im not planning on track racing of such maybe a few drag passes but thats it. Is it easy to wire in to the syvecs or is it best left to a proffesional. Also where can I get a relay as such for the job? Thanks for the info :thumbs:

Ok bud, here's what to do, take those cheapy eBay fans and kick them as far as you can down the street. If you fit them I promise you, you will have overheating issues. Either stay viscous or invest in a decent electric setup, like PHR kit, or some SRD fans which are made by Ken Low I believe.

Ok bud, here's what to do, take those cheapy eBay fans and kick them as far as you can down the street. If you fit them I promise you, you will have overheating issues. Either stay viscous or invest in a decent electric setup, like PHR kit, or some SRD fans which are made by Ken Low I believe.

Ok i'll get rid of those and stay viscous for the time being :)