The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Thinking of changing to a TVR....!!

Jamesy

The trouble doesn't end with the engine unfortunately. The interior and electrics aren't great either. They require real looking after, but when they work they're fantastic motors.

Good old british manufacturing :)

Love the way a "trevor" (what a silly name for a car) looks and agree, the noise is fantastic.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Overall Dad bought it for 30k had it for 7 years, cost him +40k in repairs/servicing/lost time over that period. For the last 2 years he had the car up for sale but still used it. So 70k in total and it so definately wasn't worth it.

:faint:

Makes a Stock Trader look like a saint....

My dad had one for 7 years, for simplicity I will list good and bad points.

Good

Bought 2nd hand 3 years old for 30k (actually 20k as NA supe was traded as part ex for 10k) so had depreciated by 25k in 3 years!

Sound of the engine can be heard from 2 miles away with the right exhaust.

Acceleration was 3.7 secs with the red rose kit on the 4.5L version.

Stupidity of the lack of safety features, no trac control airbag etc meant its a true drivers car which WILL KILL YOU if you make a mistake (this I suppose can either be a good or bad point depending on your viewpoint).

Bad

Every 3-4 weeks something broke, usually throttle pots even main TVR dealer in Blackpool couldn't suss one problem which had it running on 4 cylinders for a fair few months, not nice

Electrics put together by blind YTS students using parts found in MAPLINS binned/out of date stock. Seriously Electrics were in ABS plastic boxes Velcroed to the inside of the boot lining!

Spaceframe chassis made out of toffee and had to be completely removed and replaced at the grand old age of 5 years.

Wouldn't start 20% of the time if the electrics were having an off day.

Leaked in heavy rain through window rubbers

Economy less than 5 miles to a gallon if driving it like you stole it

Interior build quality very poor

Exterior build quality poor

Mechanical build quality poor

Did I mention Electrics?..........

Overall Dad bought it for 30k had it for 7 years, cost him +40k in repairs/servicing/lost time over that period. For the last 2 years he had the car up for sale but still used it. So 70k in total and it so definately wasn't worth it.

If you still want one I would say find a dealer pay him a grand and see if he will lease it to you for a month (HE will be praying you bin it though so he can get some money back through the insurance)

Thanks a lot mate - to be honest i cant explain just how pee'd off i am to hear these stories.

I've always wanted to own one of these and for the first time in my life im in a position to actually be able to get one, and now it seems they're a total crock of #!!# :(

:D thanks Chris. Such a shame they seem so rubbish as personally the looks and sound of the cerbera is exactly to my taste!

Ahh well, shame converting mine to a manual is so unaffordably expensive :)

Off topic moment, what broke on your BL box and do you know why it broke yet?

On a side topic matt lennen just went 8's on a titan box, first ever 8 with a toyota based auto.

My brother and I have had 3 of these , 4.5 cerbera / tuscan / 400se ..you think the supra is expensive to run.. wait till you have one of these . I still have the 400se after 13 years, the old one are not bad , but the new ones leak oil in every oriphous !!.. but they are sexy ..!!

Cant be as uneconomical as a Single when driven hard?! :search: ...im unfamiliar with the 400se, will go have a butchers :)

Off topic moment, what broke on your BL box and do you know why it broke yet?

On a side topic matt lennen just went 8's on a titan box, first ever 8 with a toyota based auto.

I need to take it to get rebuilt mate but it seems the clutches burnt out inside. Would love the Titan box, much better than BL, but to be totally honest, after bombing around in my little manual MR2, i REALLY want to have a BIG power manual car

just my little input, ok, its not a sagris/cerbera etc.. I drove a Chimera 450 for 3 years, appart from the yearly servicing, the only thing that went wrong with it was the brake pedal switch! But when you look at the list of where they get there parts from, its quite shocking. The engine was rover based, the intake was from a landrover, switch gear ford/vauxhall, early rear lights off a fiesta, wing mirrors from citeron, brakes ford. At least spares were available! - and the sound... I almost bought one for myself.

As I understand (i'm sure i'll be corrected) the griffs had quite a few electrical problems but they were ironed out on the chimeras. Oooh, on the chim's the battery was shoved at the end of the passengers foot well, with the ECU just sat on top of it :D

My Boss has a 2000 Speed 6 4.0 Tuscan, done about 35000 miles, think it's now on its third engine rebuild. Second clutch, second pair of cats, seems to eat shock absorbers for fun, and doesn't seem to like starting! Having driven it, it's an awesome car, but a huge money pit! I'd always wanted a Tuscan or a Sagaris, but have been put off after working with someone for 5+ years that has owned one and seeing all the problems he has had, and the £20,000+ at least that he has ploughed into it, just to keep it on the road!

Jamesy, seriously mate a Cerbera is not for you, trust me on this one, both Tommy and Simon are TVR trained mechanics and I would think twice about owning one even with those 2 to try and keep it running, change the motor to a LS as JP says and rewire it and fit a syvecs and your good to go.

Ive owned a cerb for a few years.

The things i had to do to it were

Starter relay

Alternator

Clutch and bell housing

Repaint front end (nightmare to match and only available in waterbase paint)

Wax oil the chassis

Broken strut replace

Other issues,

Been locked out a few times as central locking has a mind of its own (but very easy to get in through the boot)

Electric windows need adjusting as sometimes they dont go high enough

The battery drain is quite high (best to leave it on trickle charge)

As with every car things can go wrong, if you strut of to the mechanic every time you will get raped, but if you have a bit of common sense and dont mind tinkering around yourself then you be ok.

Jamesy, seriously mate a Cerbera is not for you, trust me on this one, both Tommy and Simon are TVR trained mechanics and I would think twice about owning one even with those 2 to try and keep it running, change the motor to a LS as JP says and rewire it and fit a syvecs and your good to go.

Cheers John, seems like that TVR dream aint gonna happen!! New thread to follow for serious car suggestions! :(

Dont get me wrong guys im not throwing in the towel just yet. I love my supra more than any car ive ever owned, by a long way.

Im just curious as to what else i could get for my money. I know nothing will touch it in terms of power.

My supra has now turned into a weekend and sunny weekday car only so i just wondered what else is out there. To be honest i really want a manual car but cannot spend £3-4k to convert mine unfortunatley.

Your prepared to shell out that on a daily driver but you wont get your auto box rebuilt,mmmmmmmmmmm

I was never getting my BL box rebuilt til next summer anyway mate, its fine to drive as it is now all thro winter. (its actually fine all the time like this but not for drag racing!)