The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Thinking of changing to a TVR....!!

Jamesy

Not a definite yet but since i was about 18 i've ALWAYS wanted a TVR Cerbera....

I know some are prone to be unreliable, but now my Supra has turned into a weekend and nice weather only car, the TVR would get the same useage instead of an everyday driver like when my Supra was BPU.

Its the looks, power and most of all NOISE of these things i love. All i'd want to do is stick a Syvecs S6 in and go.

Anyone owned one before? Any knowledge or experience greatly appricated :)

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

From what I found when I looking into buying a Cerb, engine rebuild every 18,000 miles and front respray every 12,000. The build quality really isn't great, and if you're using it as a daily then frankly you'll either need to be ridiculously lucky or riciculously rich. If you do though, I will be ridiculously jealous. Later headlights and Spider alloys in blue with cream leather please ;)

Ive always liked them, came close to buying one before i got my first supra, id put an LS engine in one.

The trouble doesn't end with the engine unfortunately. The interior and electrics aren't great either. They require real looking after, but when they work they're fantastic motors.

Yeah the Sararis is a beast too .... Pricey!! Are they as unreliable as the Cerbera though?

No, I think the Sagaris is better but still it's like comparing a muderer to a serial killer. I wouldn't like to hang around with either.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]139839[/ATTACH]

That made me lol..!!

H.

They are all a total POS, the only people who will tell you otherwise are owners, especially those trying to sell them, or those who have never had one :) Buy some decent drink, have too much, listen to some sound tracks of those that are actually running, but please, do yourself a favour and do not buy one :) Anyone who has worked on them and looks upon them dispassionately, and without financial interest, will concur they are an even better way of losing money than burning £20's.

They are all a total POS, the only people who will tell you otherwise are owners, especially those trying to sell them, or those who have never had one :) Buy some decent drink, have too much, listen to some sound tracks of those that are actually running, but please, do yourself a favour and do not buy one :) Anyone who has worked on them and looks upon them dispassionately, and without financial interest, will concur they are an even better way of losing money than burning £20's.

:D thanks Chris. Such a shame they seem so rubbish as personally the looks and sound of the cerbera is exactly to my taste!

Ahh well, shame converting mine to a manual is so unaffordably expensive :)

My dad had one for 7 years, for simplicity I will list good and bad points.

Good

Bought 2nd hand 3 years old for 30k (actually 20k as NA supe was traded as part ex for 10k) so had depreciated by 25k in 3 years!

Sound of the engine can be heard from 2 miles away with the right exhaust.

Acceleration was 3.7 secs with the red rose kit on the 4.5L version.

Stupidity of the lack of safety features, no trac control airbag etc meant its a true drivers car which WILL KILL YOU if you make a mistake (this I suppose can either be a good or bad point depending on your viewpoint).

Bad

Every 3-4 weeks something broke, usually throttle pots even main TVR dealer in Blackpool couldn't suss one problem which had it running on 4 cylinders for a fair few months, not nice

Electrics put together by blind YTS students using parts found in MAPLINS binned/out of date stock. Seriously Electrics were in ABS plastic boxes Velcroed to the inside of the boot lining!

Spaceframe chassis made out of toffee and had to be completely removed and replaced at the grand old age of 5 years.

Wouldn't start 20% of the time if the electrics were having an off day.

Leaked in heavy rain through window rubbers

Economy less than 5 miles to a gallon if driving it like you stole it

Interior build quality very poor

Exterior build quality poor

Mechanical build quality poor

Did I mention Electrics?..........

Overall Dad bought it for 30k had it for 7 years, cost him +40k in repairs/servicing/lost time over that period. For the last 2 years he had the car up for sale but still used it. So 70k in total and it so definately wasn't worth it.

If you still want one I would say find a dealer pay him a grand and see if he will lease it to you for a month (HE will be praying you bin it though so he can get some money back through the insurance)