The mkiv Supra Owners Club

What usefull Garage Tools are needed.

MONKEYmark

just looking into buying some tools,been buying bits of tools over the years.fancy having a go at getting into working on car.

want to have a go at making a small worshop in garage.always wanted a garage its only normal garage would love a extra long and wide garage to potter about in.

wanting a good alloy low level trolley jack and a car creeper and maybe more sockets and ratchets maybe a gearbox jack.

got a halfords socket set thats seen me ok over years and a few long breaker bars.got 4 small 2 ton axel stands.and bench vice and grinder and bench drill.there is a couple of good tool stalls at car boot sales one stall has some good tools like air tools and coil spring compressorsand nut splitters and gear pullers and ball joint seperator.even seen a caliper piston rewind tool but he wanting £25 could not see the point for the money when a old warn brake pad and G glamp works fine.

next door neighbour is a mechanic and has a brick built garage with 4 post lifter and £30k of snap on tools and computers for diagnostics the snap on tool man comes to show him new tools.is blue point a cheaper sister company of snap on.

is a digital torque rench ott for home use.also went to a garage years ago and they had a led tyre pressure air tool never seen one for sale on internet.

just wanting to learn to do some more jobs on car

also are machine mart tools anygood things like engine lifters and parts washers and gearbox lifters.

thanks for any info

if its just for the supra then i'd have at least 2 different sockets and 2 different spanners in 10, 12, 14, 17 & 19mm (and Alun key in whatever size those spark plug cover bolts are 6mm?)............it's just dawned on me that the supra has precious few 'odd' types or sizes of fasteners (unlike the french cars I have to look after too) saying that its worth getting a set of female torx (? not sure of this) sockets that undo the studs (thinking aircon pump stud and exhaust manifold ones etc

I love my rachet spanners........crows foot (14mm i think) spanner for the fuel filter.

I like having numerous ratchets, the stubby ones I used to dismiss but they are useful........I normally have one with a small extension and a 10mm socket one for all the intake or engine cover bolts.

Long reach Hose clamp pliers to get to those good but awkward clamp'n'slide hose clips that are everywhere.

1/2 inch drive, 22mm long reach impact socket for the crank pully

A good focussing pencil torch

A good quality oil filter removal tool.........

Some deep sockets in large sizes are needed to remove some of the engine sensors (25 or 27mm from memory)

is a digital torque rench ott for home use.

I would say so, depends on how much money you can afford to spend or waste.

I wouldn't buy an alloy trolley jack unless you intend to carry it around, just a conventional strong steel one that's low with long reach would be useful as the jacking points at the front and rear aren't easy to reach.

You can get most things done with basic tools, a good socket set, spanner set, screwdrivers, assorted pliers.

Just buy the more specific tools as and when you need them.

got mainly halfords proffesional stuff a box socket set and have some stubby ratchets and the ratchet ring/open ended spanners and some ratchet half moon ones i got cheap from car boot sales.lots of male torx sockets and pliers and hammers.a few crow bars.the 1/2" 24" long breaker bar comes in handy for changing wheels.would it be worth getting air compressor and air tools or maybe a cordless impact gun.

would a slide hammer be of any use they looked a handy tool for dent pulling.their is a great tool shop at car boot with lots of engineering and mechanic type tools.

the stubby ratchet was a good tool for getting back turbo pipe off.good to learn to do jobs yourself and get bit of confidence even if it takes you 2 or 3 times as long to do.love this site so much info and helpfull people

been to the car boot sale this morning a few tool stalls but not had a long time to look as im on nights tonight.

bought 2 400ml spray tins of Plus Gas formula a dismantiling lubricant for releasing rusty bolts thought it might come in handy and was only £2 a tin,also got a couple of Faithfull heavy duty wire brushes for 75p each pretty solid against others i have bought.also bought a 500g tin of Moly SLIP copaslip hight temperature anti-seize compound -40 to +1100 degrees says its for wheel studs and turbo bolts and head bolts was £3 guy says its £14 a tin in shops.

got loads of wd40 too

When i bought my house garage was full of garden tools and loads of big hammers a d foud loads of old toys and a bag of money.

Breaker bar is great tool.will have to make a work bench for vice and grinder with wire brush for cleaning.

Love getting tools.and learning how to do jobs by taking things apart