The mkiv Supra Owners Club

learning to weld

jackso11

I have found 2 evening course, one near me and one miles away that I wouldn't be able to get to in time. They are both 10 week course and the difference seems huge, look....

Course at college one covers....

Gas welding

Metal inert gas (MIG) welding

Vs

Course two covering....

• Health and Safety in Using and Setting Welding Equipment.

• Hands on Experience of Different Welding Processes: Gas, Arc, MIG and TIG.

• Hands on experience of different welded joints: Butt, Lap,

• Tee, Fillet, Open Corner etc.

Both same cost and length! I need to find a decent one near me.

dont bother with gas welding no one uses it any more the 3 main ones mig, tig and arc will be the ones to go for but all depends on what you want to be welding? have you looked at thurrock tech im sure they done night classes not sure how far away from you it will be

John

With this in mind, what are a few decent brands of welders?

Get one of those Clarke gas migs from Machine mart. You'll also need a regulator. Cheapest method is the co2 bottles that are used in pubs etc. The small disposable bottles are £10 a pop and don't seem to last very long.

I learnt myself using the guides on the Mig-welding forum. Theres an online shop on the forum run by a member called Weldequip who I highly reccomend. He'll sort you out.

Avoid SIP mig welders like the plague in my experience.

I started my apprenticeship in 1979 when i was 17 and the only way is practice and the set up of your welder and the speed that you can weld at.gas welding went out years ago,arc is a crud form of welding and you know when your good when the slag peels off as you go along your weld,mig is easy and that's the one i think you are best to start

with and yes the old pub gas will do the job but you don't get the perfect weld but it is free :)

Get a Sealey Mig 2nd hand at least a 170 and a good mask and get ready for your 1st arc eye, i am now retired.

Ps. i was a commercial body builder.

Pete

I have always want to know how to weld, I want to know how to do everything related to cars, bikes, engines and body work. I want to restore an old camper van and I also want to build a lotus 7 clone of some kind locust/Westfield/caterham. I would love to be able to do everything from the ground up so thought I would start to learn to weld. My ideal job would be restoring old vehicles to former glory but as I am far along in my boring office job career I would need to take quite a step back in pay to change at this point, maybe in the future.

Thanks for all those pointers shaky :) and everyone's advice.

I know practice makes perfect but I would like to do a course or have some kind of tuition yo start off with, it's just finding the right person/place. If anyone wants to train me That would be great ;)