The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Instant coffee is horrid!

Scott

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Started a tub of Millicano this week. Very very nice coffee for an instant. The only trouble with the stuff is that it takes quite a lot of it to give it a nice strong flavour. As with most instants I tried a heaped teaspoon (well the ones we have are a bit larger than teaspoons but you get the idea). At first I was really disappointed at the weak taste but decided to give it another go the next day, doubling it up. It was nice but I made it with milk, wheras I usually use coffee mate or something like that, so the flavour was a little too milky for me. Yesterday I gave it ANOTHER go with 2 spoons of coffee, 1 level spoon of coffee mate and 2 sugars..... spot on.

It's still not quite as good as the faithful tassimo but for an instant it's fantastic.

I'll still be working my way through all the recommendations, but I'm happy to have found a decent instant already :D

Yup, good find. I can't see the little tub lasting me long though. My Wife has even taken a shine to it :D

Uhoh :D

Think you're right about the size by the sound of things. We go through it quite quickly and I only take the single heaped spoon of the stuff!

Ask for it 'Skettos' which mean without

'Metrios' means medium

'Glykis' means sweet

And try not to do what I once did when I wanted to show off my Greek when instead of asking for skettos, I asked for scata. The look on the waiters face told me something wasn't quite right

Due to this thread I nipped out yesterday and bought some Millicano.

I think it's very good. I agree with Scott though about doubling up the coffee amount.

As per Si's Rocket Fuel suggestion...I tried that a number of years ago. Blimey.

What a thing. I think foolishly I made way to the end of the tin. Not bought it since though,

as it's still in my system, festering away :D

I don't fancy that much. I hate it when I leave my coffee sitting too long and it's cooler than roasting hot lol.

You still drink it hot, you just let the ground coffee beans soak in cool water overnight, drain this out, and top the concentrated coffee up with hot water. It's supposed to be less acidic and a nicer taste.

You still drink it hot, you just let the ground coffee beans soak in cool water overnight, drain this out, and top the concentrated coffee up with hot water. It's supposed to be less acidic and a nicer taste.

Ahhahhh, that sounds nice! Strange that doing the soaking changes the acid content (which I guess then changes the flavour).

• 2 months later...

I needed a new coffee this week as I have just about finished my Milicano. Gave Alta Rica a go since Asda were doing a 2 for £6 deal.

Very nice coffee, not quite as good as the Milicano though. Again 2 spoonfulls are necessary for a full cup, I'm thinking this is more down to me needing a stronger taste now rather than the coffee itself being weak. Whilst I really enjoyed the coffee I was left with a strong aftertaste in the back of my throat which I found strange. I haven't perfected the flavour yet though as it was only my first cup (threw in 2 large heaped spoonfulls) so will be nice to see if that changes when I get it spot on.

Got 2 jars of this stuff to work my way through now anyway :D

We stopped buying instant about the same time we bought a expresso machine from Lidls of all places. Works a charm and has done so now for over 2 years. We buy whatever coffee we see on offer and if its not an expresso grind we have a cheapie grinder that we run it through, otherwise we buy Lavazza rossa which in my opinion is superb. Also when I am in France I pick up several packs of decent quality coffee as it seems so much cheaper there. One of our best kitchen investments ever and for £40. At work we have gold blend and I cant bring myself to drink it anymore and stick with tea. Its strange how instant seems so rough after you get used to proper stuff.

Are the little discs that you put in Tassimo / Nespresso machines et al actually just compressed, ground coffee though, or do they put other stuff in them to enhance the flavour and appearance? I've owned a couple of espresso machines and have always struggled to get a decent tasting cup out of them even when using beans that I grind myself. When the "disc" machines first hit the market a lot of the advertising focussed on how lovely and thick the crema layer was so I automatically assumed that they would put something in there to enhance it, which put me off buying one.

On another note, we have just got a bean to cup vending machine here. Just like a normal upright vending machine, but bean to cup. £1 per cup, but its worth it :) Of course the milk will still be powdered, but it tastes better than the normal gut-rot vending machine stuff.

Are the little discs that you put in Tassimo / Nespresso machines et al actually just compressed, ground coffee though, or do they put other stuff in them to enhance the flavour and appearance? I've owned a couple of espresso machines and have always struggled to get a decent tasting cup out of them even when using beans that I grind myself. When the "disc" machines first hit the market a lot of the advertising focussed on how lovely and thick the crema layer was so I automatically assumed that they would put something in there to enhance it, which put me off buying one.

On another note, we have just got a bean to cup vending machine here. Just like a normal upright vending machine, but bean to cup. £1 per cup, but its worth it :) Of course the milk will still be powdered, but it tastes better than the normal gut-rot vending machine stuff.

The GF's Dad has a new Tassimo and it the crema it produces is impressive, but don't know if it's down to perfect compression and steam pressure or as you say some sneaky additive. We heard that you can buy a re-fillable pods for the Tassimo too.