The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Instant coffee is horrid!

Scott

I've not drank instant coffee for a few years. I'm not a big coffee drinker, and I'm certainly not a snob when it comes to the stuff, but I do enjoy the Tassimo Kenco Colombian T-Disc variety. I have had various coffee makers over the years and I found the difference between me making a proper coffee and these T-Disc things to be very small (The diffefence in hassle is huge though). The strength and flavour is fantastic, however this instant stuff now tastes like dishwater in comparison. I really don't remember it tasting this bad :blink:

Anyway, it got me thinking. Are there any good instant coffees? As I say I'm not expecting a full bean rich flavour, just better than the nescafe dross that I'm currently forcing down. I don't mind paying a little bit extra for a decent instant. My tassimo is in work, as that's where I drink most of my coffee, so short of buying another machine I'm stuck with instant.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kenco Millicano mate.

I'm the same as you and really wouldn't touch instant coffee (I only drink it when I'm out or if I can be arsed making proper coffee in the house).

In short, we tried this when it was on special offer and likely won't buy anything else now. It's not as good as the proper stuff either, more the best of a bad bunch imo (albeit by some way).

Kenco Millicano mate.

I'm the same as you and really wouldn't touch instant coffee (I only drink it when I'm out or if I can be arsed making proper coffee in the house).

In short, we tried this when it was on special offer and likely won't buy anything else now. It's not as good as the proper stuff either, more the best of a bad bunch imo (albeit by some way).

Sounds good to me, that's all I'm after really. I know I'm not going to get the flavour of a proper coffee but the best of the bad will probably be good enough for the house :D

My dad has a nespresso machine thing and I think it's marvellous. They also have a Delonghi bean to cup thingy but they are rather obsessed with coffee!

The only instant that I like is the nescafe espresso powder. http://www.nescafe.co.uk/product_details_en_com.axcms?Id=95

I've only tried the Tassimo as far as the instant machine things go. I'm guessing they are all the same though and they do make a fantastic cup of coffee. The only downside is I've gotten too used to it lol.

I really want a bean to cup coffee maker. The only trouble is I don't really drink enough coffee to justify it, especially in the house. We have a couple at the main site in work (I work on a different site) and when I'm there I always make a point of getting a cuppa as it's fantastic.

Can you make a proper cup of coffee with the espresso stuff or is it for shots only?

I've only tried the Tassimo as far as the instant machine things go. I'm guessing they are all the same though and they do make a fantastic cup of coffee. The only downside is I've gotten too used to it lol.

I really want a bean to cup coffee maker. The only trouble is I don't really drink enough coffee to justify it, especially in the house. We have a couple at the main site in work (I work on a different site) and when I'm there I always make a point of getting a cuppa as it's fantastic.

I suspect you're right about the nespresso - I've only ever tried that one so can't compare. Although I did have a really gross latte at a friends once from her new 'coffee' machine. I suspect it was one of those krups things and it was awful. Where my dad lives in Poland the Nespresso have a proper shop for the discs so there is absolutely tons to choose from.

I'm the same as you about the bean to cup machine. I really don't drink enough coffee at home to have one, although they are an investment piece I suppose. My step-mum won't drink instant so they have their machine on the go all the time.

I'm a Nespresso man myself, wouldn't touch instant these days.

A previous employer had a Nespresso machine in the office and that ground the beans and made a cup, rather than use the capsules. It was a very expensive machine though but was as good as I've seen for getting fresh ground coffee with minimal fuss.

The cheap coffee machines that use steam pressure to make coffee are to be avoided though. Steam means boiling water and that ruins the coffee. One with a pump is a bare minimum.

( I think it was Nespresso branded, anyway, it was 3 or 4 years back now)

Rooibos FTW

I switched from coffee to Green/Red bush tea to reduce my caffeine intake (I was drinking waay too much, having palpitations, panic attacks etc).. and I have never looked back..

The benefits of these teas are amazing - if you can just go without caffeine for a few days and brave the side effects :D I guarantee you’ll never need that caffeine kick again. I feel more awake in the morning and I can actually string a sentence together without the need for coffee :)

I don't like tea, and I absolutely can't stand the green tea's etc. I don't drink coffee for the caffeine kick though so I don't need to worry about that, but I know what you mean. I drank 2 double espressos once, kind of a bet, and the effects weren't nice.

The maximum I'll have is 5 cups per week. They are fairly small cups too :D

I love my coffee, there's not many better pleasures in life than sinking into the sofa with a cup of coffee and a smoke (or cigarette ;) ). As far as instant goes, Nescafe Alta Rica is the best I've found. Don't know if you have Clements in GB, but they do one called a hammerhead which is americana with a shot of espresso in it and it's fantastic, gives you the shakes :D

Can you make a proper cup of coffee with the espresso stuff or is it for shots only?

Sorry - didn't see this last bit, yes you can definitely make a proper mug of coffee with the espresso stuff - it just adds a nice crema layer to the top like an espresso would. I don't drink it at all at the moment but before I'd add about 2 spoons.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rocket-Coffee-Strong-Instant-Guarana/dp/B0043PVZNY

Though skip the boiling water/cup, just use a spoon.

Myself I'm now a demon for doppio iced espressos now I can't drink energy drinks :(

Though maybe 6 shots of espresso some mornings may not be doing me too much good. Blood pressure's fine tho :)

Did my Wife send you? Are you trying to kill me? :D

Douwe Egberts is the only instant I'll drink. Tried the Millicano as well and it's good. Nescafé and the like are pure muck in my opinion.

See I think Douwe Egberts is weak and awful. Have you tried the nescafe espresso one? I don't actually think I like granules so the powder just tastes nicer to me.

I mostly drink tea to be honest, just like coffee as a change. I tried the Red Bush stuff and just hated it, no matter how much sugar or honey (yes, honey) I put in it it still left a particularly undesirable taste in my mouth.

Any time after 6pm I've found myself drinking decaff Punjana :D

However unlikely this may be, the fairtrade instant coffee from Co-op is actually not bad.

I've spent a fair bit of time in France, so my family love good coffee. I usually drink Espresso and buy instant sachets in France whenever I'm there (can't be bothered with all the fuss of grinding beans/coffee machines etc). Ran out recently and went for Carte Noir Expresso. It was on special offer in Asda for a reason - absolutely dire - don't waste your money on it! Agree with Charlotte on the Nescafe Espresso - good value, quick and easy and nice taste.