The mkiv Supra Owners Club

named drive insurance

mellonman

ha ha i know its bad, but you know the people that get driving and the people that just dont get it they do everything right go so slow they are more of a danger then anything thats her.

And you didn't think it might be better to just tell her not to bother with driving rather than endangering herself and other people on the road?

And you didn't think it might be better to just tell her not to bother with driving rather than endangering herself and other people on the road?

I have a friend like this, you should try explaining that to her. Apparently the last 4 accidents she has had in the past year are not her fault. Shame the insurance didn't agree! :D

Another one of my friends passed his test on the 7th attempt & he still is dangerous on the road, I have no idea how he was given a license! :blink:

charlotte you must know that no man can tell a woman anything that they would listen too!

she does it all right but my god she is slow, she only passed a week ago so youy got to expect that, come on everyone crashes its part of learning is it not?

all

i wonder if you can help me, my partner has just passed her test and was wanting me to insure another car and her be the named driver which is all good,

but if she has a smack which she will, will it affect my insurance on my supra?

Will she be driving the car the majority of the time?

Will she be driving the car the majority of the time?

Double-guessing you a bit, but if you're thinking of possible fronting, the OP will still be OK as long as he tells the insurance company who the main driver will be (and is truthful about it). The main driver doesn't have to be the policyholder, although a few insurers won't quote unless they are.

Direct Line are happy with the policyholder not being the main driver. My daily driver is currently insured through them, under exactly those conditions.

Double-guessing you a bit, but if you're thinking of possible fronting, the OP will still be OK as long as he tells the insurance company who the main driver will be (and is truthful about it). The main driver doesn't have to be the policyholder, although a few insurers won't quote unless they are.

Direct Line are happy with the policyholder not being the main driver. My daily driver is currently insured through them, under exactly those conditions.

Yes, but there won't be much of a saving as she's a new driver. It would be better in the long-run to have her own insurance (and hence no claims building) IMO.

If she's on your insurance and has an accident for which you claim, you'll have to declare this to the insurer of your Supe - even though it is on a different policy.

This may well affect the premium you pay for the Supra.

You might keep your no claims on the Supra, but if they load your policy based on the fact you've made a claim on a different policy, your no claims will be deducted from a figure that is higher than it would otherwise have been.

If she's on your insurance and has an accident for which you claim, you'll have to declare this to the insurer of your Supe - even though it is on a different policy.

This may well affect the premium you pay for the Supra.

You might keep your no claims on the Supra, but if they load your policy based on the fact you've made a claim on a different policy, your no claims will be deducted from a figure that is higher than it would otherwise have been.

thought it would affect the supra, is this a fact or a asumption

It would still be better to let her get her own policy. I hear of so many women, my wife included, who live their lives as named drivers on Dad's policy, boyfriends policy, husbands policy and never get their own NCD.

Tell her its 2011 and Emmaline Pantry didn't set fire to the King's horse's bra for nothing.

Also I think you will find that If the car is in your name, and your partner is a named driver on the policy, but does the majority of the driving you wont be covered.

That's incorrect. As long as he tells the insurer that the main driver is the named driver, it's fine. The main driver doesn't have to be the policyholder.

But it's a good point that she'd be better off as the policyholder to earn her own NCD.

ahhhhhhhhhh ok. Im thinking down different lines of obtaining insurance cheaper by having it in someone elses name.

You're thinking of "fronting", which is illegal (insurance fraud). :) That's when someone, Fred's 50 year old careful-driving dad for example, insures a car under his own name (ie. dad becomes the policyholder) and adds his 17 year old son Fred as a named driver. If dad doesn't tell the insurance company that Fred is the main driver, they'll asume that dad is the main driver and therefore will give a low quote. The insurance company get surprised when they have to recover the car from a ditch with some cans of lager and half-smoked splifs in the back and a bangin' sound system in the boot.

The crucial thing here is that Fred's dad didn't tell the insurance company that Fred would be the main driver. If they knew that, they would have quoted based on a 17-year old inexperienced driver and not a 50-year old family man.

You're thinking of "fronting", which is illegal (insurance fraud). :) That's when someone, Fred's 50 year old careful-driving dad for example, insures a car under his own name (ie. dad becomes the policyholder) and adds his 17 year old son Fred as a named driver. If dad doesn't tell the insurance company that Fred is the main driver, they'll asume that dad is the main driver and therefore will give a low quote. The insurance company get surprised when they have to recover the car from a ditch with some cans of lager and half-smoked splifs in the back and a bangin' sound system in the boot.

The crucial thing here is that Fred's dad didn't tell the insurance company that Fred would be the main driver. If they knew that, they would have quoted based on a 17-year old inexperienced driver and not a 50-year old family man.

Although, if they live in the same house as a family, its entirely reasonable that Fred would be driving the car even though he's not the main driver. Unless he has a string of motoring offences that prove he drives it every day of the week, its impossible to prove who is the actual main user of the vehicle.

If Fred has gone to Uni 100miles away and has the car there, then that is fronting.

I imagine fronting can be tricky for the insurance companies to prove in circumstances such as you describe. I.e. how would they know that Fred merely borrowed the car from his dad for his once-a-month spin with his mates? That wouldn't be fronting (as you pointed out). The insurance company would get suspicious of the splifs and sound system, but that wouldn't prove things either way.

Tricky business for sure.

thought it would affect the supra, is this a fact or a asumption

It's fact that you'll have to disclose any claim to the insurer of your Supra, but it would be up to that insurer's rating-engine if - and by how much - they would load your Supra policy based on a claim made on another policy because of an accident which was the fault of your named driver.

Some insurers use systems that would only take into account the fact that you as a policyholder were liable for a claim on one of your policies and the amount of payout that it resulted in. Any other factors may not even be considered.

This is not assumption - I used to work in building the software to implement these rules at a major insurer in the UK.