The mkiv Supra Owners Club

The Claim Guys??

a98pmalcolm

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well aren't you a funny lot....

End of the day I didn't even think about trying to claim before they called. ok.. they kept 30% but i looked at doing it myself and I couldn't see how I could claim it back being the fact that I asked for a PPI when I took the loan and on my loan documents (that I would have had to send off but didn't from using the claim guys) I had ticked a very clear box that I wanted the PPI.

My sister used a cheaper company and had to send off yer documents.

Now... If I had tryed to claim and got rejected that was my one shot! That's the DIFFERENCE!!!

So to conclude on all your very humerus comments on clearly trying to make a fellow member feel like a pile of crap (of which you didn't) and show how stupid he is infront of other members (only showing me that there's members that clearly feel like there the dogs bollocks and there the next Lee Evens) I got £1300 which was better than nothing!!!! And if it wasn't for the claim guys calling me up. I wouldn't be getting my syvecs management tomorrow.

Madness..!!

Can we charge you some money for the advice on here?

H.

Difference is between that is I didn't pay for advice I didn't pay anything! They got me money...

I just get annoyed with these companies, the way they trick people into it like you have no choice but to do it through them. I guess it's the same as people who do their own servicing laughing at those (me) that would rather pay someone to do it though. If you got what you wanted, and more importantly wouldn't have even considered it had they not offered, then that's cool.

And we're only jestin, you've been around this forum long enough to know how hilarious we all are. :D

I just get annoyed with these companies, the way they trick people into it like you have no choice but to do it through them. I guess it's the same as people who do their own servicing laughing at those (me) that would rather pay someone to do it though. If you got what you wanted, and more importantly wouldn't have even considered it had they not offered, then that's cool.

And we're only jestin, you've been around this forum long enough to know how hilarious we all are. :D

:yeahthat:

C'mon dude, where is the love? ;)

No, not that kind of love! :D

As Trev has said, we did advise you, and what annoys us is that people make a lot of money robbing people off.

The person who done your claim, would have spent 30 minutes to 1 hour at the moment to fill in a very simple form, yet still charged you £700 for it. The charge rate is higher than what a lot of lawyers would charge for an hours work in the city! But at least you know for future reference. We try to look out for other members and if it means saving you £££ then we will always tell you.

So don't take it in the wrong way :)

Well aren't you a funny lot....

End of the day I didn't even think about trying to claim before they called. ok.. they kept 30% but i looked at doing it myself and I couldn't see how I could claim it back being the fact that I asked for a PPI when I took the loan and on my loan documents (that I would have had to send off but didn't from using the claim guys) I had ticked a very clear box that I wanted the PPI.

My sister used a cheaper company and had to send off yer documents.

Now... If I had tryed to claim and got rejected that was my one shot! That's the DIFFERENCE!!!

So to conclude on all your very humerus comments on clearly trying to make a fellow member feel like a pile of crap (of which you didn't) and show how stupid he is infront of other members (only showing me that there's members that clearly feel like there the dogs bollocks and there the next Lee Evens) I got £1300 which was better than nothing!!!! And if it wasn't for the claim guys calling me up. I wouldn't be getting my syvecs management tomorrow.

Difference is between that is I didn't pay for advice I didn't pay anything! They got me money...

You've missed the point...

These claim companies don't have access to any special privileges. They claim on your behalf with exactly the same info you can get hold of, and under exactly the same procedure. Since the banks lost the courtcase and appeal, they've thrown in the towel and even if you actually ticked a box on your form, you're still entitled to claim back if you feel you were sold the PPI without being given the full story. I've claimed £3600 from one credit card co, and waiting for my mortgage company to fork out for about £8k.

I did it all myself: Find the loan/credit card/other with PPI, work out what you should be owed, place a SAR request with the company to get all their info on you, fill out the PPI Claim form from the FOS website, include any evidence from the SAR request, sit back and wait for their response. If they reject, you refer the complaint to the FOS who usually uphold it.

Simples... :)

Here is a thought, where do people stand morally on these claims? As the OP said, he knowingly ticked to have PPI, this company though managed to get him money back anyway. Is this any different from claiming for pretend whiplash? Its all contributing to our financial issues. Oh - and this isn't a dig (yet) just genuingly wondering how come its so socially acceptable to do this and its not for car accident claims. I've had loans, I've understood the risks and decided whether I want PPI. And if I did, I shouldn't claim. Like if you genuingly hurt yourself you should claim. I've never been 'tricked' into having PPI.

Hmmm.

The regulations say they have to tell you all the details of what you're signing up for, but no banks ever did. I think it's as you say a moral issue as to whether you actually understood it all or not, I for one had no idea I even had PPI on my loan, even though the box was ticked and I'd signed the form - they obviously just gave me the form to sign and use the argument that everyone should read the entire document before signing it. I discovered the PPI about 6 months into the loan, and phoned them to cancel it, then a few months later put the claim in for it, personally I'm morally clean IMO as I honestly didn't know I had it, so felt pretty tricked at the point I was phoning to cancel it - when I found out about claiming it back I was quite pleased. I can see that some people would have known what it was and now the loans over they will be immorally claiming it all back though.

The regulations say they have to tell you all the details of what you're signing up for, but no banks ever did. I think it's as you say a moral issue as to whether you actually understood it all or not, I for one had no idea I even had PPI on my loan, even though the box was ticked and I'd signed the form - they obviously just gave me the form to sign and use the argument that everyone should read the entire document before signing it. I discovered the PPI about 6 months into the loan, and phoned them to cancel it, then a few months later put the claim in for it, personally I'm morally clean IMO as I honestly didn't know I had it, so felt pretty tricked at the point I was phoning to cancel it - when I found out about claiming it back I was quite pleased. I can see that some people would have known what it was and now the loans over they will be immorally claiming it all back though.

Actually, thinking back I'm sure one loan company tried to maintain if I didn't have PPI I wouldn't get the loan, in those cases you could argue mis-selling.

Good post by ozz: pretty much what I was thinking. I'm certain there's a significant minority out there who see PPI as a free bonus payment without having a genuine grievance. What would I do if I were in that position? Who knows.

Do you have to declare on the form(s) that you weren't aware of the PPI and/or weren't informed that it was an optional, no-strings part of the loan? Even if you do, it's nigh-on impossible to prove that the PPI was sold fairly. With the regulator lending its weight to the consumers, the loan companies don't stand a chance of defending themselves against spurious claims. PPI salesmen are guilty until proven innocent.

I think inflated whipcash claims cross a line (i.e. insurance fraud) that many people, thankfully, are unwilling to cross.

Absolutely, being told PPI was compulsory is clear grounds for mis-selling. It's one of the main things the loan companies are being pulled up; it's one of the tricks they used to sell more PPI because it was so profitable. It's like trying to buy a TV, and being told you can't have it unless you buy the extended warranty (which incidentally are under scrutiny at the moment, although money-grabbers needn't get excited because I doubt there'll be a PPI-style claims frenzy).

Here is a thought, where do people stand morally on these claims? As the OP said, he knowingly ticked to have PPI, this company though managed to get him money back anyway. Is this any different from claiming for pretend whiplash? Its all contributing to our financial issues. Oh - and this isn't a dig (yet) just genuingly wondering how come its so socially acceptable to do this and its not for car accident claims. I've had loans, I've understood the risks and decided whether I want PPI. And if I did, I shouldn't claim. Like if you genuingly hurt yourself you should claim. I've never been 'tricked' into having PPI.

Hmmm.

I don't think you can compare the 2, the insurance claims effect us as insurers are passing on the cost. For the bank they are paying out of profits, a few billion isn't going to effect them that much, they already made money by investing your money. Think of it as taking a loan & then paying it back (for the bank perspective).

The moral issue should lay on the bank, I was told I needed to have PPI on a loan I took out as they wouldn't qualify me it due to my age & incase I lost my job. Thing is if I lost my job, they wouldn't be able to cover me so have miss-sold me a product I can't use.

So in effect you are claiming back what you paid them through hard earned money. The whiplash is trying to 'make' money by falsely putting in a non existent injury.

I have never and would never take out any kind of a financial arrangement without PPI that covers me for accident, sickness and unemployment. The only exception is my latest mortgage which I overpaid initially, and that entitles me to take a payment "holiday" for any reason up to the amount I have already overpaid. As I see it, its the only sensible thing to do in the current financial situation if youi dont want to be saddled with paying off a large loan when you are potentially not earning.

I'm sure if I added it all up from past mortgages, car loans and credit cards it would make a nice tidy sum but as I'm a habitual small print reader and went into it all with my eyes wide open I couldn't bring myself to claim it back as there is no way I could ever justify to myself that I was mis-sold anything.

Abz: I see your point but if someone claims back PPI payments even when it wasn't mis-sold, it's still obtaining money by deception isn't it? I don't doubt that in your case it was mis-sold, so just to be clear I'm not referring to your case. Making a false declaration on the PPI form to claim money back for insurance that hindsight has revealed you didn't use, is still fraudulent surely?

The PPI fiasco is a one-off thing (from now on, if you actually want PPI, companies will probably insist on 5 independent witnesses being present along with a doctor's report confirming you are of sane mind), whereas inflated whiplash claims will be ongoing with no obvious end to the scam in sight.

I have never and would never take out any kind of a financial arrangement without PPI that covers me for accident, sickness and unemployment. The only exception is my latest mortgage which I overpaid initially, and that entitles me to take a payment "holiday" for any reason up to the amount I have already overpaid. As I see it, its the only sensible thing to do in the current financial situation if youi dont want to be saddled with paying off a large loan when you are potentially not earning.

I'm sure if I added it all up from past mortgages, car loans and credit cards it would make a nice tidy sum but as I'm a habitual small print reader and went into it all with my eyes wide open I couldn't bring myself to claim it back as there is no way I could ever justify to myself that I was mis-sold anything.

How much are your PPI payments? When I took my loan out the PPI payments were nearly 400 quid a month !!! To which I told them to politely stick it.

How much are your PPI payments? When I took my loan out the PPI payments were nearly 400 quid a month !!! To which I told them to politely stick it.

PPI's can be quite cheap I think I paid around £18 every quarter or something. I asked for it due to my illness so I was covered as unfortunately I'm not getting any better especially back then. But to the average Joe £18 can be alot/waste of money

The money back on PPI's reclaiming is also compensation rather than just refunding what you had already paid.

PPI's can be quite cheap I think I paid around £18 every quarter or something.

On a monthly basis, somewhere much lower than the former but more than the latter. Probably in the region of £30 per month when you add them all up. I don't know if you can go that far back but starting if you start in 1996 when I first bought a house that's a total of nearly £6k in premiums.

So when requesting PPI's at the point of taking out the loan, there is paperwork that needs a autograph at the end?

I'm pretty sure that said paper work is going to include something about PPI's is it not?

How is PPI meant to be sold? Put it on a market stool with a wheel for fortune wheel being spun by a midget clown?

If the above is true, then im understanding the whole PPI claim back as money for old rope, a bit like claiming for whiplash? I hope I'm wrong and I'm sure there are some genuine claims to be had but with the birth of these PPI claim back companies and other means its all kind of blown out of proportion.

Thats pretty much it Daman.. I wouldn't of considered claiming back, epically as I asked for it a signed I wanted it.

But if someone calls up saying I maybe able to get you back some money, no win, no fee situation you would take it right?

Nationwide were very clear on there paperwork so I think it would have been VERY difficult to do myself.

Unlike Barclays I hear.. They have put millions and millions to one side for PPI claims.. So I guess they know there was something wrong with the way they got people paying it.

But if someone calls up saying I maybe able to get you back some money, no win, no fee situation you would take it right?

Does the pope sh*t in the woods? Wait......that's not right! In short, hell yes!

They way I see it is that I shouldn't be able to do so, I would have signed a legally binding document saying "yes, I want PPI". Really interested to find out how the ins and the outs of it all though :)

Does the pope sh*t in the woods? Wait......that's not right! In short, hell yes!

They way I see it is that I shouldn't be able to do so, I would have signed a legally binding document saying "yes, I want PPI". Really interested to find out how the ins and the outs of it all though :)

It happens a lot with banks. The family home protection act in Ireland precluded a lot of banks from repossessing homes etc due to a technicality regarding signatures and not fully understanding what was being sold or what they were signing. They can explain it to you for a year, it still doesn't count as you making an "informed decision".

They should insist you seek independent legal advice on the issue, from a person not associated with the bank. In the case of PPI insurance, they should probably have insisted you speak to a qualified financial advisor.

Only then could they be regarded as having discharged they duty, and taken all steps possible to ensure you know what you are signing.