The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Whisky fans - advice please!

caseys

Evening all,

I'm after some advice on what is a reasonable Irish single malt as well as a triple malt to buy to add to my collection?

Was a fan of the Bushmills single malt when I went to the distillery, otherwise I'm a bourbon man

What probably makes me a worse heathen is I can't stand Scotch :(

Also is anyone on here a big bourbon fan? I've got a spare bottle of very rare Jack Daniels which may be for sale shortly.

Also anyone seen these before? I thought a great idea for you to have a cold drink and not water it down possibly

http://www.thinkgeek.com/homeoffice/kitchen/ba37/

Though you may lose some teeth :D

The only triple malt I've heard of is Monkeys Shoulder (which incidentally is very nice), are there others?

Why can't you stand scotch? Because there is a huge variety in taste from all the different regions, i.e. I can't stand peaty malts, which some people love, so I tend to stick to the lighter malts which are easier to drink

JD is a sour mash 'whiskey', whatever that means.

I'm not a fan of scotch either, probably some deep seeded resentment of the smell from throwing up lots as a teenager from bottles of Bells and Teachers. Missus loves a good single malt though, her boss bought her an 18 year old bottle of Glenlivet last year! :blink: Apparently that was quite nice.

No idea the difference between bourbon and whisky and whiskey though. I'll have a JD and coke sometimes but that's my limit.

I'm not a fan of scotch either, probably some deep seeded resentment of the smell from throwing up lots as a teenager from bottles of Bells and Teachers. Missus loves a good single malt though, her boss bought her an 18 year old bottle of Glenlivet last year! :blink: Apparently that was quite nice.

Bells and Teachers are quite bad on their own compared to a decent single malt. You should try something that isn't blended and costs more than £20 a bottle and you might find your perceptions of whisky change a bit

And yes the 18 year old Glenlivet is a very nice whisky to drink, Glenlivet is probably one of my favourite brands as I find the 12 year old, 15 year old and the 18 year old all reasonably priced and very tasty

Bells and Teachers are quite bad on their own compared to a decent single malt. You should try something that isn't blended and costs more than £20 a bottle and you might find your perceptions of whisky change a bit

And yes the 18 year old Glenlivet is a very nice whisky to drink, Glenlivet is probably one of my favourite brands as I find the 12 year old, 15 year old and the 18 year old all reasonably priced and very tasty

I tried some of her Glenlivet when she had it, tasted the same as Bells and Teachers to me.

depends how long you can wait.

On the ferry last year I got a 18yr old Jamies signature malt (litre bottle) for £38

Also Bushmills Black Bush for £25 a litre.

I prefer a nice McCallans or a Auchtentoshan triple distilled..

I've over 40 malts at home.. from both Scotland and Ireland..pity Turbonut wasn't still on here as she was developing a good taste for whisky too