The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Towing Capacitiy Law?

JamieP

Looking for a bit of advice, my BMW X5 weighs 2070kg, going on the 85% thing that means i can tow 1759kg, i look in the handbook it says i can tow 2700kg? even going by the guideline of 85% it looks like i may be over that with a trailer and supra.

Having a google i cant find what the law is on how much i can tow?

Thinking i might be best buying a Range Rover TD6, they weigh 2570kg and on the 85% thing can tow 2185kg so should be fine for a Supra and trailer.

I do a fair bit of towing... 85% is a "rule of thumb" - not a deffinitive figure. Police Forces use the manufacturer's recommended towing limit of the vehicle as their guide. So reading that, you'll be fine with the X5. I'm assuming its a braked trailler too? better had be with that weight on it!

Here is something from the VOSA pages for category B vehicles up to 3.5 tonnes.

Category B vehicles may be coupled with a trailer up to 750kgs MAM (allowing a combined weight up to 4.25 tonnes MAM) or a trailer over 750kgs MAM provided the MAM of the trailer does not exceed the unladen weight of the towing vehicle, and the combination does not exceed 3.5 tonnes MAM.

For example:

a vehicle with an unladen weight of 1.25 tonnes and a MAM of 2 tonnes coupled with a trailer with a MAM of 1.25 tonnes could be driven by the holder of a category B entitlement. This is because the MAM of the combination does not exceed 3.5 tonnes and also the MAM of the trailer does not exceed the unladen weight of the drawing vehicle

Whereas

the same vehicle with an unladen weight of 1.25 tonnes and a MAM of 2 tonnes when coupled with a trailer with a MAM of 1.5 tonnes would fall within category B+E. This is because although the combined weight of the vehicle and trailer is within the 3.5 tonnes MAM limit, the MAM of the trailer is more than the unladen weight of the drawing vehicle

Vehicle manufacturers normally recommend a maximum weight of trailer appropriate to their vehicle. Details can usually be found in the vehicle's handbook or obtained from car dealerships. The size of the trailer recommended for an average family car with an unladen weight of around 1 tonne would be well within the new category B threshold.

I do a fair bit of towing... 85% is a "rule of thumb" - not a deffinitive figure. Police Forces use the manufacturer's recommended towing limit of the vehicle as their guide. So reading that, you'll be fine with the X5. I'm assuming its a braked trailler too? better had be with that weight on it!

Yeah its a braked trailer thats been up and down the country with the ENVY supra on it many times, sounds like i might be ok then.

i looked into this when i was trying to pick up my new car. as far as i know its recommended to be 80-85% of your towing vehicle. but in theory if your comfortable with it its anything up to what it says in the handbook.

my dad tows caravans all the time in his s type. But a supra +trailer was right on his towing limit in his handbook and the above recomended rule. so he didnt fancy doing it so i hired a transporter and drove it myself.

With something like a transporter as long as the total weight doesnt exceed 2500kg your ok as thats the limit on the licence. (iirc)

Yeah its a braked trailer thats been up and down the country with the ENVY supra on it many times, sounds like i might be ok then.

Yup, I use a Landrover Deffender :p You'll be fine, only two limiting factors are the vechicles towing capacity (which your OK on) and the all up weight (which you OK on) - Crack on.

Here is something from the VOSA pages for category B vehicles up to 3.5 tonnes.

Category B vehicles may be coupled with a trailer up to 750kgs MAM (allowing a combined weight up to 4.25 tonnes MAM) or a trailer over 750kgs MAM provided the MAM of the trailer does not exceed the unladen weight of the towing vehicle, and the combination does not exceed 3.5 tonnes MAM.

For example:

a vehicle with an unladen weight of 1.25 tonnes and a MAM of 2 tonnes coupled with a trailer with a MAM of 1.25 tonnes could be driven by the holder of a category B entitlement. This is because the MAM of the combination does not exceed 3.5 tonnes and also the MAM of the trailer does not exceed the unladen weight of the drawing vehicle

Whereas

the same vehicle with an unladen weight of 1.25 tonnes and a MAM of 2 tonnes when coupled with a trailer with a MAM of 1.5 tonnes would fall within category B+E. This is because although the combined weight of the vehicle and trailer is within the 3.5 tonnes MAM limit, the MAM of the trailer is more than the unladen weight of the drawing vehicle

Vehicle manufacturers normally recommend a maximum weight of trailer appropriate to their vehicle. Details can usually be found in the vehicle's handbook or obtained from car dealerships. The size of the trailer recommended for an average family car with an unladen weight of around 1 tonne would be well within the new category B threshold.

Is that saying towing vehicle and trailer can not be more than 3.5 tonnes? i will be over that.

Well with the vehicle weighing 2.07T the supra and the trailer are bound to be over 1.5 tonne so your outside B entitlement already, that is over a combined weight of 3.5T.

But you have B+E entitlement and the trailer and supra will neither exceed the unladen weight or the MAM of your car thus it is my understanding you will be fine. Apparently the owners manual will specify a manufacturers recommended max towing weight and I would follow this. If it's over then it likely to be illegal as a rule of thumb. Thats what VOSA say anyway.

They check the capacity of the trailer as well JP, your supra will weigh around 1500KG as long as the trailer is rated to carry this it will all be fine, you will need to play with the position of the car on the trailer, just a few inches can make all the diff !!!!!!!!!!! when you find the ideal position screw a baton on the bed of the trailer where the front wheels touch it, that way the car goes in the optimum position for not weaving around each time.

I posted a link to a web site a while ago citing towing law, and weight limits. Be careful, the VOSA lot are right bunch and will either hinder your journey for so long the race will be over when you get there, or they will impound the trailer until a suitable tow vehicle and driver is found.

This site has good info and links. Just buy my truck and be done with it :)

http://www.caravanningnow.co.uk/caravanning/faqweight.htm

You coming racing proper now JP ????? The car will be great in the Street HKS class or are you still grounded ?? LOL

I doubt it, just nosey.

Nah im allowed back out now :D

Soon as i get that nine i want i doubt i will go drag racing for a long time, trailer is just handy to have.